p-90'S QUESTION

FUBTAG

• Members

Afternoon all!

I have yet to ever play a P-90 equipped guitar. I am mostly a single coil player, and I understand that they are similiar. but can you tell me why I want them? What differences will I find between single coils and P-90s?

• Members

more punch...to me in a rock context the p90 sounds very aggressive. the humbucker may be louder (I guess???) but the p90 is a cuts through imop without being as shrill as the tele or strat (both of which I love). I think others have said stuff to this effect but when you play it you hear that it just sounds right. to me in a rock context it would be like this. you are having a heated conversation with someone. you are arguing your point and expecting the other guy to do so as well. suddenly you find youself on the floor with a nosebleed. thats a p90...a punch you didn't expect that just kicks your ass...but in a good way :)

oh and let me save someone else from having to say it...the p90 is a single coil...from what I understand its just a big ass single coil or something like that.

• Members

P-90s are single coils, just larger than Fender single coils. I like to think of them as somewhere in between a strat single coil and humbucker. It is a nice way to get something that sounds thicker than a strat single coil without getting all of the muddiness of a humbucker.

• Members

Simply put, they're more powerful and the will overdrive a tube amp much better than SC's. Not that this is the only way you'd use them (I've seen Clapton play a jazzbox with P90's) but it is one of the more popular applications.

Mind you more powerful means they also hum more as well so they ain't perfect. Personally though I think rock could use a little more hum. Rock should be a little less sterile and kinda raw, but hey that's just me.

• Members

FATTNESS.

I think it's because the EQ curve is weighted more to lower mids than most single coils. That's how it seems anyway. Playing into my mildly cranked Deluxe Reverb definitely gives more crunch and punch than any of my Strats or Teles, and to my surprise gets into SRV territory much easier when used with a tubescreamer.

• Members

I gotta SG classic& just gotta epi 56 gold top w/p-90's,& its a tone that you just really like,they got alot of punch,kinda like they say a single coil on steroids,you gotta at least try 1,seems after awhile people eventually come across these & say how come I didnt try 1 awhile ago,for me they have just about a perfect tone

• Members

When I first bought a guitar w/ P90s - it was a Gibson - I bought it with one intent in mind: dirty rock'n'roll. That was the tone I expected it to deliver - and it didn't disappoint.

But I was shocked at how much more than that it could give me, tonally speaking. The clean tones were luscious and full. It was a great little blues machine.

My Reverend Slingshots were both great blues guitars as well...

Gotta love P90s! :)

• Members

Along the lines of strat les's post....

Is getting an SX a good enough comparison to see if I like P90s? I know the guitar (having a couple already)... but are the pups decent enough to satiate my curiosity?

And thanks for everyone's responses....

• Members

Along the lines of strat les's post....

Is getting an SX a good enough comparison to see if I like P90s? I know the guitar (having a couple already)... but are the pups decent enough to satiate my curiosity?

And thanks for everyone's responses....

I think they probably should be fine. JJ Pistols plays those SX SJM's live and on recordings, and sfaik his are stock. I have an Agile (Rondo's line "up" from SX) Valkyrie II with P-90's and they're fine, I've felt no need to replace them. My two other P-90 guitars (besides the Agile) have Duncan Designed P-90's and Seymour Duncan P-90's, so if the Agile P-90's are crap I'm missing something.

• Members

I think they probably should be fine. JJ Pistols plays those SX SJM's live and on recordings, and sfaik his are stock. I have an Agile (Rondo's line "up" from SX) Valkyrie II with P-90's and they're fine, I've felt no need to replace them. My two other P-90 guitars (besides the Agile) have Duncan Designed P-90's and Seymour Duncan P-90's, so if the Agile P-90's are crap I'm missing something.

Thanks Brian.. I forgot about JJ's SJM.... I wish I was able to pull of the non-conventional body type when playing. The strat to me takes a little getting used to looks wise with P-90's.

• Members

I have yet to ever play a P-90 equipped guitar. I am mostly a single coil player, and I understand that they are similiar. but can you tell me why I want them? What differences will I find between single coils and P-90s?

Same experiance here.

I even bought a HB guitar but didn't bond with it really. Ma plan is to sell it or replace pups to P-90.

I definitely want a P-90 axe.

:thu:

Archived