The Shame of Music Shopping at Walmart

deanmass

• Members

I hate Walmart..HATE it.

But, after missing the closing time of my local store, I had to venture into the Hell Hole of Midnight Bargain Zombies.

I cruised the music isles, thinking, eh, maybe I'll pickup a cd since I can afford ONE for the first time in months. I pick up The Darkness 'Train into..." CD...I am looking at it..it says '(AMENDED) at the end o f the sticker...

HUH???

EDITED VERSION??

Late in the game for me, but I damn near bought it without looking. Fair warning to others who MAY be tempted to grab a CD from WalMart. I put the CD back, and turned to walk out, only to be faced with a huge top row display of Garth Brooks Box sets...AHHH! The Nascar PODS almost had me!

All this because I was out of shampoo...Never again..!

• Members

There was a good article in Rolling Stone a few months ago about Wal Mart's impact on the record industry. They have so much market share that record companies are forced to put out "edited" versions and sell them (to Wal Mart) at a very low price in order to stay competitive. That's disappointing, but I guess I can live with it - I'm a died in the wool capitalist, and they're pursuing the family friendly low-cost business model that has been so successful for them in the past.

But I still never buy music there - very poor selection. I was there buying (i dunno - socks, fishing line, floormats, toothbrushes, whatever) and thought I'd stop by the music section and look for a T. Monk CD - I thought, it's instrumental jazz - it can't be offensive, they should have it, right? Nope, no jazz section at all. Plenty of country tho.

• Members

I always advise people to stay away from buying music, movies or books and magazines at Wal-Mart (or Target) for just that reason. "Edited" :rolleyes: please. I actually implore people to avoid Wal-Mart altogether just on general principle.

Where I live, I have so many choices of local/regional music stores, plus direct over internet sales, I can't relate to people who buy everything at Wal-Mart because their locale is so devoid of options.

• Members

No corporation is trying to destroy or take over the country. They're just trying to make $. Take off your tin foil hat - they don't have mind control rays.

If you don't like them, don't spend your money there; nobody's saying you have to. I don't especially enjoy shopping there, so I don't do a lot of it. Sometimes, tho, I need a few assorted items that don't have to be top quality, but do have to be cheap, and that's what Wal-Mart's great for.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

If you get cancer it isn't "trying" to destroy your body, either. It's just trying to grow.

That's actually a good analogy for the rampant greed for resources that the bottom-line corporate mentality embodies.

Mindlessly seeking to expand, destroying the host in the process.

• Members

Originally posted by 2manband

No corporation is trying to destroy or take over the country. They're just trying to make $. Take off your tin foil hat - they don't have mind control rays.

If you don't like them, don't spend your money there; nobody's saying you have to. I don't especially enjoy shopping there, so I don't do a lot of it. Sometimes, tho, I need a few assorted items that don't have to be top quality, but do have to be cheap, and that's what Wal-Mart's great for.

I appreciate the tinfoil-hat response (it's actually made of aluminum foil, not tin) ;). True, most corporations are trying to be profitable, and I can appreciate that.

No I don't shop at Wal-Mart. However, due specifically to thier business and marketing practices, they have plenty of effect on local and national economies whether I shop there or not.

I'm not saying this is you, 2manband, but some of their most ardent supporters that applaud their progress and success are also the ones that Wal-Mart (as a corporation) is sticking it to the worst.

• Members

Wal Mart is just giving the American consumer what they want - we cast millions and millions of dollar votes every day and Wal Mart gets a lot of them - this is surely not without reason.

All I'm saying is that as long as they operate within the laws of this country, let it run its course. It seems like they're taking over retail right now 'cuz they're in the middle of a big growth boom - but it'll level off. Just like it has for every retail giant that has ever come along and later started to fade. Think

Sears

JC Penny

K Mart

etc. etc.

When people get tired of Wal Mart or something better comes along, people will start spending less and less of their money there, and the pendulum will swing.

• Members

It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks about Walmart. They aren't going to change until people change.

As long as it's encouraged to ship American jobs off to China, that's what's going to happen. Walmart gets a good deal, and their customers get a good deal.

As long as workers are willing to take what Walmart gives as an employer, their employment practices are not going to change. Why just last week near Chicago, a new Walmart was opening with 350 postions to be filled. Twenty-five THOUSAND people applied for the jobs. That's greater than the population of the town the Walmart was located in.

People get what they deserve, I don't blame Walmart. Like 2manband said; they're giving people what they want, and they're obeying the laws. If you don't like it, change the laws and unionize the workers.

Back OT; I don't buy my music from Walmart. But I did buy my Baun electric shaver there, and I get the cleaner cartriges from Walmart too. That's all I buy from them. And I freak'n LOVE this shaver. :thu:

• Members

All I'm saying is that as long as they operate within the laws of this country, let it run its course.

I agree... but there have been plenty of recent examples showing how that particular retailer does NOT operate within the laws of this country designed to protect workers from being unfairly taken advantage of by employers.

- Jeff

• Members

C'mon Jeff, what retailer gives its cashiers and shelf stockers health benefits and allows them to unionize? Not Target, Kohls, Sears, etc. etc.....and certainly not a mom and pop store.

Most Wal-Mart jobs don't require a great deal of education, skill, or experience, and the pay and benefits are comensurate with that fact. I disagree with the notion that (in this day in age) an employer has any leverage that they can use to "take advantage" of their employees - the employees always have the option of seeking employment elsewhere if they're unhappy. If Wal Mart was such a sweatshop, nobody would want to work there. Instead (per Super8), there is no shortage of applicants.

• Members

C'mon Jeff, what retailer gives its cashiers and shelf stockers health benefits and allows them to unionize? Not Target, Kohls, Sears, etc. etc.....and certainly not a mom and pop store.

None. But most manage to pay their people for overtime, or not coerce them to work unpaid through lunch breaks, or deny work breaks based on national standards. I don't think that Wal-Mart is obligated to give health benefits, but some basic decency in treatment of workers would perhaps allow their image to be less tarnished.

If Wal Mart was such a sweatshop, nobody would want to work there. Instead (per Super8), there is no shortage of applicants.

There is no shortage of applicants in areas where Wal-Mart has made themselves the only game in town. By eliminating most retail competition in their myriad of categories, they also eliminate the possibilities of there being choices of employment for those low-skilled, low-education workers who do line up for jobs there.

I don't hate Wal-Mart... but I don't shop there either.

- Jeff

• Members

Sure. I'm a person who believes in attempting to gain control over one's destiny. That's why, when I didn't like the section of available jobs the last time I was between employers, I successfully started my own company.

However, not everyone has the initiative or opportunities I've had in my life. Being aware of that, along with the knowledge that SOMEONE has to be the person who works menial jobs at mega-retailers, I still argue that treating those people as humans is not a luxury... it's a necessity.

Wal-Mart needs to start paying for the people that allow them to remain in business. Merely the purposeful ATTEMPT to get away with not paying them for work performed is slimy as hell. At some point, you have to understand that there's a person whose job it is to weigh the likihood of a class-action suit versus just paying the people in the first place, or allowing them the breaks they need as defined by law.

If the law needs to be changed, then change it. As long as it stands and Wal-Mart is in violation, they deserve all the penalties that apply.

- Jeff

• Members

I agree that if Wal Mart isn't going to follow all the law, then they should be held accountable. And my saying that I've seen the same labor laws violated by other companies isn't meant to imply that it's right, only that it's common.

And I agree that somebody has to fill these positions. But many people have to fill jobs at McDonalds and the like. But most of these employees are part timers, students, retired, etc. I think the problem arises when these entry level positions are viewed as careers. Employees should see these as "move up or move out" positions. If employee turnover is high enough that it presents a problem, the company will be forced to adjust their practices.

Maybe it's fair that Wal Marts labor practices be under the microscope more than those of other companies - It's the price of operating a large, high profile company. But - as long as Wal Mart and similar companies can comply with the applicable laws, I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to expand.

Even though their music section sucks.

• Members

I'll also agree with the notion of taking the initiative to better oneself. However, as Jeff also pointed out, Wal-Mart proactively tries to crush every other business in town that they build a Supercenter. They have the financial might to lower prices in one store all the way down to where everything is sold at a loss, but effectively they undersell everything else in town. As soon as the rest of the town's businesses tank, Wal-Mart then can raise their prices back up with no competition. This is a tactic that has been documented again and again. The newly completed SuperCenter in the town I work in is currently doing just that- so far it's driven two grocery stores, a K-Mart and a Sears out of business.

As far as the health-care front, no they don't *have* to provide healthcare. In some states they actually do, but their healthcare plans are deliberately engineered to be out of the grasp of many of their employees. Typically they encourage their employees to take advantage of plans from the State- they've got all the official packets pre-printed for employees to fill out.

They will also encourage employees to apply for financial assistance, and will even offer to cut their hours so that they can aquire it. In many cases this is given as an option to a very small raise.

No, none of these things are illegal, but they're pretty effin' rotten. I don't know about you folks, but I don't want to shoulder the Welfare burden of tens of thousands of employees of the most profitable retailer in history.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

If you get cancer it isn't "trying" to destroy your body, either. It's just trying to grow.

I've just been lurking lately; not much time for anything else. However, this response was just too good NOT to acknowledge. Good one Lee! :thu:

• Members

I believe they also lobby the World Trade Association for better conditions for themselves. Better conditions for them= worse conditions for other retailers.

Somewhere, some government has to allow other competing businesses to have a fighting chance.

They have gone beyond the point of being a large retailer into becoming a serious influence upon culture (i.e. editted cd's, PG product secection), the leader in the downsizing of emplyee work conditions (through the incredible number of employees), and instrumental in increasing trade deficit (through their MADE IN CHINA product selection).

They are becoming a country onto their own.

Plus.... who likes greeters? ;)

• Members

Plus.... who likes greeters?

Btw, you know what the main purpose of a greeter is? Security.

Wal-Mart is also the most paranoid company you'll ever see in this regard. Ever notice how many cameras there are in that place on the sales floor? Employee break rooms and locker rooms have plenty too. It's oft repeated by management and employment literature that "employees are the #1 source of shrinkage(theft)". Employees are encouraged and often directly tasked to monitor their co-workers and report any suspicious activities. This sort of thing doesn't promote a healthy working environment, no matter how many Wal-Mart cheers or rallies around the weekly sales figures you do.

FWIW, it's also a pretty regular practice for 3rd shift (stocking) managers to line everyone up at the end of the shift, have them empty their pockets onto a table, and be patted down before they can leave the store. The insult to injury is that this takes about 20-30 minutes to do everyone in the shift, and it's conveniently done after clocking out.

• Members

Originally posted by phaeton

FWIW, it's also a pretty regular practice for 3rd shift (stocking) managers to line everyone up at the end of the shift, have them empty their pockets onto a table, and be patted down before they can leave the store. The insult to injury is that this takes about 20-30 minutes to do everyone in the shift, and it's conveniently done
after
clocking out.

If that's true, that's EXACTLY the kind of unfair employment practice I'm talking about.

Sure, the company has the right to search employeees, though I find it disgusting that they actually do. But that is the employees' OWN TIME. I would sue the crap out of a company that refused to allow me to leave after punching out.

You can search me all day if you get your jollies from it. Just pay me for the pleasure, okay?

- Jeff

Archived