Trigger Finger anyone?

• Members

Ya know, I got really "playing" my DR-660 with my fingers and recording my drum tracks in realtime with no quantanization. I could do fast rolls and all kinds of {censored}. Then I got BFD and tried to use the DR-660 to trigger BFD but it was a midi and velocity nightmare. I don't think the DR-660 was intended for these things.

So I bought Trigger Finger and now I am heaven again. The pads work great and I have a lot more control over velocity and my playing has improved a lot. I didn't think I would like the big pads as much as I do and I can make BFD or DFHS sound real, real good.

So yeah, I think it's great and I highly recommend it.:thu::wave:

• Members

Originally posted by aliengroover

Although the "key" drummers will disagree, IMHO, nothing is as gratifying as drumming on some big 'ole pads. As an MPC guy, I like the feel on the TF more than I do on Akai's own MPD16. Plus it has more controllers.

Peace

I agree. I could never drum very well on keys. Too awkward.

Ernest,

I don't use Reason but I believe the Enigma software that comes with TF has Reason presets. I just use it w/BFD, DFHS, Live and DP.

• Members

don't use Reason but I believe the Enigma software that comes with TF has Reason presets. I just use it w/BFD, DFHS, Live and DP.

don't use Reason but I believe the Enigma software that comes with TF has Reason presets. I just use it w/BFD, DFHS, Live and DP.

Pardon my ignorance but what is BFD and DFHS? How exactly do you use it DP?

Thanks,

Ernest

• Members

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley

Pardon my ignorance but what is BFD and DFHS? How exactly do you use it DP?

Thanks,

Ernest

BFD and DFHS are both virtual drum instument plug ins. They have upped the ante for realistic drum sounds.

BFD:

http://fxpansion.com/product-bfd-main.php

DFHS:

http://www.toontrack.com/superior.shtml

In DP, Live, or any other audio sequencer, you open them up as a plug in within the audio sequencer and I use TF to trigger them for drum sounds.

• Members

I bought the Trigger Finger mostly to use with Cakewalk Cyclone, but since then, have found a bunch of other uses. It's cool, although I find the Enigma software, shall we say, "enigmatic" (I can't figure out how to get it to save my presets!). The pad feel is good, and the extra sliders are a great addition.

You might want to hold off, though, and see what's up with the Korg PadKontrol they debuted at NAMM. It's a lot like TF, but also includes an X-Y controller with roll and flam options. Very interesting.

• Members

I use the TF with Reason with no problem. It's a great controller. Not just for drums. In Ableton I use the Trigger Finger to trigger Groove clips while I play a lead on my keyboard controller. It's also fun to assign synth parameters to the pads, like res filters or envelope generator settings. Hit the pads at varying velocities while holding the note down with another pad or on the keyboard.

Originally posted by Anderton

I find the Enigma software, shall we say, "enigmatic" (I can't figure out how to get it to save my presets!).

Hi there

Probably you mean something else, but maybe...

File -> Download from Device - gets all memory from TF to Computer

File -> Send to Device - sends all from computer to TF's presets

Once you modify a preset from the preset list, its name turns "bold". Once you send them to the device, they appear "normal" again. To save the entire thing to your computer, just "save as... ".

ENIGMA is certainly not the most intuitive program out there, but once you happen to know it, it makes so easier to program your devices.

Archived