Cristina and Herbie...

where02190

• Members

Originally posted by Kendrix

I agree that Christina often overdoes the vocal gymnastics a bit.

However, discounting this, her voice was the very best of the lot IMHO.

Man what was up with Sly Stone???

Maybe a more appropriate question is: Man what was Sly Stone up on ???

Absolutely sad.

Say what you will about rap, Kanye's performance was great. A really good showman with a unique presentation. It's very odd that it's rap music that is making it cool to be in a high school band. I've always been a fan of marching band drum line and to hear it in top 40 radio is just incredible to me.

• Members

I liked it...wanted to love it, but I was so wishing that Herbie took a more Billy Joel apprach to the instrument. Sort of a power soul/blues motif if you will.. The was he played it, it was too busy(as rique mentioned) and had to much right hand soloing. Needed more left hand soul!

I think that approach would have given Christina a lil more rhythm to set up her scales against.. As is stood, here singng was all over the place for a while, until it finally did get hot towards the end. Very little melody going on there by her or Herbie. Just my opinion.

• Members

Originally posted by tucktronix

It is actually a soul tune. What would you prefer her to sing it like? It would've been nice to hear her sing more jazzy, tho.

I actually thought she sounded pretty good, with Herbie's playing putting a unique spin on that classic.

Your right, it was a soul tune and she stuck to that; however, she had world class musicians behind her that could go anywhere she wanted.

Cristina is a great singer, no doubt about it, but after hearing her last night, I don

• Members

It felt too much like music olympics to me - two very talented people running faster and faster toward the finish line.

The arranger in me wanted to see a little more structure. For example, a tender understated beginning featuring Christina Aguilera's vocal as it she performed the beginning last night (but without Herbie Hancock's busy start on the piano) would have been nice. Then, a piano solo that showcased Herbie's talents (without a competing vocal) could have helped the song build. Finally, (for my taste) a satisfying ending would be one in which the vocal came back more intensely, gradually building to a few phrases that showcased Christina's ability to sing runs while Herbie filled in the gaps, playing around the vocal rather than against it.

Unfortunately, the way the song was arranged last night, it seemed to me that Christina and Herbie were stepping all over each other, trampling Leon Russell's song in the process.

It's too bad because I really enjoy listening to Herbie Hancock, Christina Aguilera, and Leon Russell on their own.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Originally posted by Geoff Grace

It felt too much like music olympics to me - two very talented people running faster and faster toward the finish line.

The arranger in me wanted to see a little more structure. For example, a tender understated beginning featuring Christina Aguilera's vocal as it she performed the beginning last night (but without Herbie Hancock's busy start on the piano) would have been nice. Then, a piano solo that showcased Herbie's talents (without a competing vocal) could have helped the song build. Finally, (for my taste) a satisfying ending would be one in which the vocal came back more intensely, gradually building to a few phrases that showcased Christina's ability to sing runs while Herbie filled in the gaps, playing around the vocal rather than against it.

Unfortunately, the way the song was arranged last night, it seemed to me that Christina and Herbie were stepping all over each other, trampling Leon Russell's song in the process.

It's too bad because I really enjoy listening to Herbie Hancock, Christina Aguilera, and Leon Russell on their own.

Best,

Geoff

Yeah, they were just stepping all over each other. Sometimes playing busy works, if

your John Coltrane and Elvin Jones or Jerry Gonzalez and the Fort Apache band.

I

• Members

Hello Where, whats up, still miss you on the DUC.

I dig Herbie and Christina both, but man that was one busy tune. Im glad I didn't have to mix it. Too much riffing by both. Drummer had his hands full and nailed it.

Shame about Sly. I loved that band.

• Members

This is the second time I have heard it live. Once on Ellen and now on the Grammy's. In my opinion it is an abonimation. I can't believe that Herbie didn't take her aside in the studio and give her the QT. I don't think she stuck to the melody for more than half a bar in any point in the song.

On Ellen the band was a bit more laid back, but last night I got the feeling that the musicians were saying "%uck it" she obviously isn't listening to us so lets just jam." It was two separate performances; her inane warbling and the band (including Herbie) paying no attention to her.

It's a shame because she has a good instrument with no clue as to how to use it. I still can't believe that Herbie didn't try to school her. It was probably her last chance for anybody to.

Awful and excessive.

John Legends solo performance blew them both away.

• Members

I thought Christina and Herbie did fine, so did Leon Russell. I called Leon in Austin where he was playing, 30 sec's before they sang his song and said, "hey turn your TV on and see what's about to happen on the Grammy's." There was a couple clips they had shown earlier of what was about to happen so I had a heads up.

Yea that moving the mic thing she does sure needs to be reconsidered. A good Engineer would not only have one compresser on her mic, they'd have TWO and be ready for anything.

Russ

• Members

Originally posted by Jotown

John Legends solo performance blew them both away.

I think John Legends, Mary J Bilge and Jamie Cullins are extremely mediocre and overrated.

Give me Brain Mcknight, Fantasia and Michael Buble over these 3 any day.

How many times did John Legends repeat:

Take it slow..., oh oh oh oh, this time we'll take ,it slow.

It was excruciating. His singing and piano playing are average and was nothing that

deserved to be featured on the Grammies.

Ultimately, if a performance moved you, then it was a good performance.

And, musicians can disagree because they have different sensibilities.

That

• Members

Originally posted by meccajay

It's not the performance that moves, but the SONG!

I never liked the way he does it live, but there's so much emotion in the recorded version of that tune that it really soars! It's not really about impressive playing IMO...

It DOES largely depends on what moves you. Myself, I'm more performance oriented. For me, the song won't mean {censored} if it was done poorly.

• Members

Originally posted by russrags

Yea that moving the mic thing she does sure needs to be reconsidered. A good Engineer would not only have one compresser on her mic, they'd have TWO and be ready for anything.

Russ

That's a nice idea but it wouldn't protect the mic when she belts it, she can literally blow up a mic. Like it or not her mic technique has been developed over thousands of shows and sessions. I've seen her blow a mic out from 6 feet, and if your in the room during one of those notes your ears actually compress.

Archived