Why Do Some Guitarists Duct Tape Their Guitars?

zerkalo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the time it takes you to lay all that duct tape, and than peel it off and give your guitar a good scrub down with some goof-off is all in all about the same time it should take you to correctly place strap locks on your guitar. but than again punks need a stupid style to go with their stupid life style and stupid clothing style

• Members

the time it takes you to lay all that duct tape, and than peel it off and give your guitar a good scrub down with some goof-off is all in all about the same time it should take you to correctly place strap locks on your guitar. but than again punks need a stupid style to go with their stupid life style and stupid clothing style

thanks Kaelin, for contributing another fact about punks...when indeed the original topic has nothing to do with punks

He asked why guitarists duct tape their guitars. The answer is simple. it is a simple and cheap way to not have your guitar slam headstock first into the ground.

Many people have brought an excellent point, why not just use specifically designed pieces of metal to hold the strap up? For the simple reason that duct tape is easier to get to and ,when considering the many other things that duct tape can do, is cheaper

• Members

Wow, Ive never heard more {censored} in one topic...

Duct-tape, is WAY easier and much cheaper to create strap locks out of. All the people saying that they grew out of the "Punk Fad", ever think maybe they just grew into some money? Moneys tight, especially for a band just getting out on the road.

• Members

when i was in a metal band, we rocked out like no other, and i sheared probably 5 or 6 screws. i got tired of digging the broken end out and re-gluing the hole, so i taped it. worked much better. guitar was a beat to hell esp that i couldn't see putting a lot of money into. wish i'd never sold it - played amazing.

• Members

I find it funny when people chastise those who use duct tape on their guitars because it's just some ridiculous "punk" aesthetic, but then they go ga-ga whenever someone starts a NGD thread that includes a guitar they think is beautiful. You're responding to the looks of a guitar and so to criticize someone for wanting something that looks different than what you like is absurd, even if that difference involves an intentional "f-ing up" of the guitar. You just happen to find the pristine new guitar look more acceptable than one that has been deliberately altered. That doesn't make you any better than someone who uses duct tape to make a guitar look "punk". It still about the looks.

• Members

I find it funny when people chastise those who use duct tape on their guitars because it's just some ridiculous "punk" aesthetic, but then they go ga-ga whenever someone starts a NGD thread that includes a guitar they think is beautiful. You're responding to the looks of a guitar and so to criticize someone for wanting something that looks different than what you like is absurd, even if that difference involves an intentional "f-ing up" of the guitar. You just happen to find the pristine new guitar look more acceptable than one that has been deliberately altered. That doesn't make you any better than someone who uses duct tape to make a guitar look "punk". It still about the looks.

Spot on man.

• Members

two duct tape bands: Green Day and Offspring.

Billie Joe and Noodles got older, and duct tape on their guitars disappears, hmmm..
:idea::D

"old" Billie Joe --> Japanese Strat copy and duct tape

art.gif

new --> Gibson LP jr. with Schaller Security Locks

Armstrong_LP_Jr.jpg

old Noodles Ibanez Talman model, completely duct-taped

NDM1TSG_small.jpg

and his new sig., not much tape left

ibanez-noodles.JPG

Notice how their music has changed along with the duct tape, and the whole ethos and mentality behind it that the duct tape sort of exemplified. Even if you don't like the music from back when, or don't like any of it, I definitely think there was more integrity in their previous times.

• Members

Greg Whelan of the decidedly non-punk band The Wrens uses a Danelectro U2 reissue in brown burst. He duct tapes the strap button at the base of the neck. Why? Because U2's have these horrible plastic buttons that are already tough to use. Compounding the problem is the fact that the neck button is so goddamn close to the neck that you can't fit any strap with any sort of thickness.

So duct tape can be essential and may not just be a fashion statement.

Check out The Wrens live here:

(Also Charles Bissell uses a Reverend)

• Members

for me personally it's because the holes for the strap button are completely stripped and i don't have the money to get it fixed right now. far from ideal but if your other guitar snaps its headstock off halfway through tour you don't have a lot of options...

Archived