Why Do Some Guitarists Duct Tape Their Guitars?

zerkalo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stupidity?

At least in Cobain's case. He was a friggin' idiot. I saw an interview where he was putting Leo Fender down for designing Jaguar type bridges so you have to remove the strings, take the bridge out, turn the height adjustment screws and put it all back together. Then, you have to do it all over again if you didn't like the height. Why not just stick an allen wrench in the holes in the top of the bridge, braintrust? I'd imagine strap locks really screwed with his head.

• Members

it's a cheap strap lock so your strap doesn't fall off the guitar in the middle of playing it...

...I've laughed at many guitar players that have had their strap fall off in the middle of a gig from lack of a strap lock...guess I'm the only one who has seen this happen

• Members

two duct tape bands: Green Day and Offspring.

Billie Joe and Noodles got older, and duct tape on their guitars disappears, hmmm..:idea::D

"old" Billie Joe --> Japanese Strat copy and duct tape

art.gif

new --> Gibson LP jr. with Schaller Security Locks

Armstrong_LP_Jr.jpg

old Noodles Ibanez Talman model, completely duct-taped

NDM1TSG_small.jpg

and his new sig., not much tape left

ibanez-noodles.JPG

• Members

Because that's what they started doing and felt better continuing to do it later on rather than trying out some fancy thing?

- Ged

Stupidity?

At least in Cobain's case. He was a friggin' idiot. I saw an interview where he was putting Leo Fender down for designing Jaguar type bridges so you have to remove the strings, take the bridge out, turn the height adjustment screws and put it all back together. Then, you have to do it all over again if you didn't like the height. Why not just stick an allen wrench in the holes in the top of the bridge, braintrust? I'd imagine strap locks really screwed with his head.

Thanks for that. :rolleyes:

• Members

old Noodles Ibanez Talman model, completely duct-taped

NDM1TSG_small.jpg

and his new sig., not much tape left

ibanez-noodles.JPG

My prediction is that Ibanez could not continue to pay the people that had to lay all the duct tape on his old sig by hand...so they switched to a guitar with more of a duct tape theme in mind than an entire guitar covered in it.

• Members

Because that's what they started doing and felt better continuing to do it later on rather than trying out some fancy thing?

- Ged

Thanks for that.
:rolleyes:

You're welcome, genius! Strap locks are fancy things!:thu:

• Members

...I've laughed at many guitar players that have had their strap fall off in the middle of a gig from lack of a strap lock...guess I'm the only one who has seen this happen

+ 1 , was quite tragic after first laugh... last chord with big neck-waving-drama,

then the guitar came out of hands of that guy, strap slipped over pin, and full crash with headstock.

---> two half Gibson LP Standards :eek::D:cry:

• Members

I've seen Cobain do this. Why would they , like him, use duct tape as a strap lok? So strange.

I've seen Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth do it too.

they just think it looks cooler....

even though its stupid to use duct tape. just get some strap locks.

• Members

they just think it looks cooler....

even though its stupid to use duct tape. just get some strap locks.

but duct tape is like RIGHT THERE in your garage and works just as well...looks have nothing to do with it on my end....it just works and it be cheaper :D

• Members

but duct tape is like RIGHT THERE in your garage and works just as well...looks have nothing to do with it on my end....it just works and it be cheaper
:D

If you're looking for cheap... a good sized washer and screw will do the same thing for you.

• Members

Stupidity?

That was a reference to Mustang bridges. Kurt learned it from Dave Grohl, who "learned" it from me back when he was still in Scream. The problem was I was referring only to my Mustang's bridge, which had sawn off screws for height adjustment as the originals were bent by the previous owner to the height of his choice. I had blown Dave away at a gig (my band, DT & The Shakes were opening for the Replacements in Charlottesville VA) where I had to rely on the sound crew for amplification cuz I'd cooked the speakers in my amp the night before. The sound guy hooked me and my Mustang and Boss DS-1 through a PA slave into the PA speakers. That's pretty much the same rig Kurt used for the Nevermind tour. I remember our singer turning down a gig to play w/ Nirvana at DC Space after they'd released Bleach (Dave was already touring w/ them) because we collectively thought the album sucked. As for duct tape-that's a "fashion statement" for securing straps and a quick fix for deadening vibrating pickup covers.

• Members

It's cheap, easy and it works. And probably a lot of folks follow the tradition without feeling the need to explore the newer alternatives.... just like a lot of folks won't even consider trying something other than a huge {censored} off tube stack for amplification, because that's what they've always used or whatever. I've never cared for the duct tape approach myself - I don't like how it looks, nor the idea of the mess over the guitar's finish. I can easily see how it would appeal to others less concerned with the guitar's aesthetics - or at least, with different aesthetic preferences to my own. I can't say that it's ever bothered me, though.

But hey, it's good for a cheap shot - see below....

Stupidity?

It took you til post 4? Damn, you people are slower than you used to be. And you haven't even bothered with the ubiquitous reference to his suicide. Tut tut - must try harder in future.

• Members

i know cobain put it on his jaguar to cover the switches that he didn't want to hit or something.

This site has it all http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

"Kurt's main guitar during the Nevermind era was a 1965 sunburst (red faded out) Fender Jaguar (41), serial # 95747 (59). Had a red-swirl mother-of-bowling-ball pickguard (seen many 15), 2 volume knobs,1 tone knob, and a black chrome Schaller bridge (57)(41). There was tape covering (what used to be) the on/off and phase switches. These three switches were replaced with a Gibson-style toggle switch (15)(59)."

Archived