NGD, Not a Happy One

Devinstation

• Members

I got my Xavier-850 today, Lemon Drop, beautiful strat.

Out of the box this thing looked GREAT. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. Then I noticed the scratch on the front of the guitar, right on the flamed maple.

Ok I can live with a scratch, my other guitar has a nice dremmel mark in it from where I had to rout out the body for a humbucker, I can live with it.

Then I noticed the headstock logo had some scratches too, that looked really bad.

Ok, I can live with that too. Cosmetics are nice but mean nothing to me compared to playability.

So before I tightened the truss rod (they loosen it for shipping) I decided to give it a try, to see if it needed any adjusting. It was in tune, which really suprised me.

Then I fretted it, terrible buzz on all the strings but the G and high E. I'm not talking about a little buzz, I'm talking about unable to differentiate between any of the fretted notes because they all buzzed so bad completely up the fretboard.

So I tightened the truss rod, that did not do a thing. Then I adjusted the action, still awful fret buzz.

Then noticed that a lot of the buzzing seemed to be coming from the bridge.

So I flipped the guitar over and started to take off the panel on the back.

Then I noticed that two of the screws on the panel in the back are stripped and are impossible to remove.

Now I am not 100% sure I got a new instument. I believe I may have gotten a blem, or maybe a guitar that had been returned. I have ordered parts from Jay before and have been satisfied. I already shot him an e-mail and asked if a replacement to be sent to me, but I had been looking forward to this since last Friday, so I'm a little down.

I would have shot some pics for you but I didn't think about posting this until after I had the guitar re-packed and ready to go.

I used to work in a guitar shop, and honestly though it is nice to be able to set-up a guitar no problem, and do all of my own repairs/modifications, it sucks that I now have such a discriminating eye. It takes the joy out of buying guitars.

I'm thinking of maybe just having them send me one of their Teles as well, I heard they are really kickin'.

• Members

Sucks :( Had that happen to me _twice_ with an Ibanez a couple of months ago (both had been obviously returned before) and another guitar last year. All the anticipation and then you get a dud, sucks. Better luck next time! :thu:

• Members

I've got several sets of GFS pickups (which I like A LOT) and two Xaviere guitars. My Xaviere guitars didn't have any blems or problems, but mine did have fret buzz that I couldn't get out with truss rod or string height adjustments. Especially on the 5th and 6th strings which I have heard others mention on here. I haven't taken the time to re-work the frets, because the buzz isn't coming through the amp. I don't like to rag on GFS because I really like their stuff, but what's up with the statement on their site that says...

"Each Xaviere guitar is meticulously set up by our pros in our Boston area shop. You'll be assured that your new guitar will arrive ready to rock, with perfect frets, correct string height and all electronics fully inspected and verified."

• Members

I've got several sets of GFS pickups (which I like A LOT) and two Xaviere guitars. My Xaviere guitars didn't have any blems or problems, but mine did have fret buzz that I couldn't get out with truss rod or string height adjustments. Especially on the 5th and 6th strings which I have heard others mention on here. I haven't taken the time to re-work the frets, because the buzz isn't coming through the amp. I don't like to rag on GFS because I really like their stuff, but what's up with the statement on their site that says...

"Each Xaviere guitar is meticulously set up by our pros in our Boston area shop. You'll be assured that your new guitar will arrive ready to rock, with perfect frets, correct string height and all electronics fully inspected and verified."

I KNOW!

NO guitar that has been "meticulously set up by our pros" should have such completely awful string buzz.

• Members

maybe the pros send them out like that just to piss people off :)

• Members

Sorry to hear of yer trouble.

I bought a blem from GFS. It wasn't very blem'd at all. In fact I can't remember what it is that I found that I wasn't happy with. Musta been something small for me to forget.

I also bought a blem from a forum member. It has a handprint on the back under the finish. (!) But it's not very noticable, and I don't care.

I bought the Tele off of ebay and the price was so low I figured it was a blem, but I have yet to find a blem. It 's VERY nice.

I love em all. Hope you get one that makes you happy.

• Members
So before I tightened the truss rod (they loosen it for shipping) I decided to give it a try, to see if it needed any adjusting. It was in tune, which really suprised me.

Then I fretted it, terrible buzz on all the strings but the G and high E. I'm not talking about a little buzz, I'm talking about unable to differentiate between any of the fretted notes because they all buzzed so bad completely up the fretboard.

So I tightened the truss rod, that did not do a thing. Then I adjusted the action, still awful fret buzz.

Then noticed that a lot of the buzzing seemed to be coming from the bridge.

So I flipped the guitar over and started to take off the panel on the back.

Then I noticed that two of the screws on the panel in the back are stripped and are impossible to remove.

I used to work in a guitar shop, and honestly though it is nice to be able to set-up a guitar no problem, and do all of my own repairs/modifications, it sucks that I now have such a discriminating eye. It takes the joy out of buying guitars.

That's not a discriminating eye, getting a new guitar that is scratched, has unfixable playability, and stripped screws is completely unacceptable for anyone! :eek:

• Members

Take heart in that, although this type of problem has been reported before, GF is known for good customer service.

I've ordered a Korean Reverend - I've been waiting for it for months, due to ship in 1.5 weeks, that is promised to be "inspected, strung, adjusted and play-tested in our Detroit area shop, by a small crew with years of experience." I could just imagine what it would feel like if that arrived in the condition you described! :eek:

• Members

Sorry to hear of yer trouble.

I bought a blem from GFS. It wasn't very blem'd at all. In fact I can't remember what it is that I found that I wasn't happy with. Musta been something small for me to forget.

I also bought a blem from a forum member. It has a handprint on the back under the finish. (!) But it's not very noticable, and I don't care.

I bought the Tele off of ebay and the price was so low I figured it was a blem, but I have yet to find a blem. It 's VERY nice.

I love em all. Hope you get one that makes you happy.

Well I've decided to take a shot at the Tele, so maybe I will have more luck.

Jay responded to my e-mail quickly, and was completely cool. I responded back asking to send an XV-800 to instead in Honey Burst. I also asked if there was anyway he could make sure I didn't have to go through this again. I am afraid I may have come off as an asshole, but I really really want to like these guitars.

• Members

Sorry to hear for about your troubles!
There is no excuse to send a guitar out like that, he should pay for all shipping and maybe offer a deal on a future purcase to mantain good customer service.
I have been a manufacturers rep for almost two decades and if that ever got past us we always made it up with extras to the customer!

• Members

Oh, lets all just admit it. There is something kind of hot about Paris Hilton. I am sick of denying it. I know that she is annoying but there is some draw. I usually like curvy women with soft facial features. It's not like I find Paris sexy exactly, but there is defiantly something that is attractive about her.

And there is another definite. I am too drunk to post.

Signing out. :wave:

And who in the {censored} is aslan? Please don't tell me that it is the cat in the avatar.:D

Cheers.

Archived