Just installed a Carvin H22T pickup.

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

It's the bridge version....here are the specs.

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=H22T-6&CID=GTR/K

http://www.carvin.com/pickups/

I installed it in my Yamaha pacifica 604w.....which had a Silver and Red Lace HB in it. I also have it coil tapped through a push pull tone pot. I'm considering replacing that with a 3 way toggle so I can have control HB mode/ and Coil A and coil B options.

Anyway, I fired up my amp expecting the worse........oddly enough for the first 5 minutes or so......it seemed really BRIGHT.........but after some height adjustments and tweeking.....it really warmed up.

I would describe the tone as vintage. Squashy, crunchy and shimmery. It doesn't do chunk metal palm mutes. I wouldn't suggest installing this pickup in a bright guitar.......the pickup isn't shrill at all. Very sparkly. SUSTAIN FOR DAYS! I was extremely happy with the change is sustain. The Lace PUs were lame in the sustain department. the Carvin really shines with sustain.

At $60 I think this is a good value......my other choices were the Dimarzio Virtual PAF, and basically any other PAF copy or wannabe. Granted I haven't tried any of the others......the Holdsworth was exactly what I was looking for. Sweet clean shimmer, a lot of sustain, and classic 3D crunch! :love:

• Members

Never tried that model. I've got a C22B in my Bolt and I love it
:love:
Never understood why Carvin pups get bad mouthed a lot
:confused:

What does the C22B sound like? a bit hotter right?:confused:

It's probably the the best constructed pickup I've seen.......pretty heavy.:thu:

• Members

I have 3 Carvin CTs with the C22Bs in em. They're great pickups. A lot of sparkle and detail. Outputwise, I'd put them in the ball park of "hot vintage", like a Classic Plus - certainly not a modern high output bucker, but I use em for metal and industrial. The mids are definitely on the vintage side, and they can be a bit "hard" sounding, which I think throws people off a bit. They take some getting used to for a lot of people used to modern humbuckers.

I have a pair of Ultra Vs on order with the M22SD/H22N set coming, I'm excited to hear the combo. :thu:

• Members

I have 3 Carvin CTs with the C22Bs in em. They're great pickups. A lot of sparkle and detail. Outputwise, I'd put them in the ball park of "hot vintage", like a Classic Plus - certainly not a modern high output bucker, but I use em for metal and industrial. The mids are definitely on the vintage side, and they can be a bit "hard" sounding, which I think throws people off a bit. They take some getting used to for a lot of people used to modern humbuckers.

I have a pair of Ultra Vs on order with the M22SD/H22N set coming, I'm excited to hear the combo.
:thu:

Awesome! If I ever need to replace another HB, I think I'll have a hard time deciding between the H22 and the C22.:cry:

I've never really liked any Seymour duncan pickups I've tried......and I haven't even touched a Dimarzio.:freak:

• Members

I have a pair of Ultra Vs on order with the M22SD/H22N set coming, I'm excited to hear the combo.
:thu:

+1 I find it close to my SD Custom

• Members

Holdsworths are great pickups - wish I'd kept mine (and the DC400 they were in...). I've also had some great tones with the older C22s - am told the new version is even better. But like any pickup, I've also heard some nasty C22s. I swapped and made two guitars happy - C22s and M22s in that case.

Virtual PAF - just installed one in the bridge of my Melancon Pro Artist - love it to death! Great great pickup...

Greg

• Members

Holdsworths are great pickups - wish I'd kept mine (and the DC400 they were in...). I've also had some great tones with the older C22s - am told the new version is even better. But like any pickup, I've also heard some nasty C22s. I swapped and made two guitars happy - C22s and M22s in that case.

Virtual PAF - just installed one in the bridge of my Melancon Pro Artist - love it to death! Great great pickup...

Greg

How would you compare the Virtual PAF to the Carvins?

• Members

Greg

I will admit I've never heard any C22s that I liked. Just too bright for my liking. The C22B really tamed that pup down.

Archived