what is more important? electronics or wood?

Saturday

• Members

For example, what will sound better:

a) a plywood epiphone special with boutique pickups and high quality cables and pots.

b) a gibson standard with the electronics removed, and with el-cheapo electronics and pickups.

(both plugged straight to the same amp)

uhm? i think it would be an interesting experiment. of course, the answer is The Amp, but i

• Members

^ haha, i agree.

I'd go with the one with better wood from the point of view that you're talking about unrealistic variables. Who's going to put crap electronics and pickups in a nice guitar? And more's to the point, even if someone does, you can swap them for something nicer.

• Members

a) a plywood epiphone special with boutique pickups and high quality cables and pots.

b) a gibson standard with the electronics removed, and with el-cheapo electronics and pickups.

Given the choice, I would pick "a"

• Members

in general they're both very important to the way a guitar will sound, but i think you can make more of an overall difference with different pickups. the woods set the base, but you could make an all mahogany guitar sound bright by changing electronics if you set your heart to it.

• Members

Both. If the wood is dead, good pickups aren't going to help (it's that "buffing a cow pie with beeswax" thing).

If the wood is even halfway decent, cheap p/u's and electronics will cover up what could be a great sounding guitar. The right electronics in a slightly quirky but decently resonant piece of wood could actually surprise you.

Brett

• Members

I'd go with B myself. Unless the pickups themselves are absolute crap that squeal, bad electronics manifest themselves more with maintenance and attenuator range issues IMO. You have also neglected to mention the hardware issue which is also very important to tone.

• Members

Cheap pickups can often sound amazing. Plywood guitars can sound good, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with cheap pickups and wire. It's just a preference thing. More expensive wire doesn't work better than cheap wire. And the expensive bobbins and alnico magnets don't necessarily sound better than cheap ceramic magnets. That's just preference.

Wood is far more important.

• Members

For example, what will sound better:

uhm? i think it would be an interesting experiment. of course, the answer is The Amp, but i

Archived