Gas-X (NOGD)

eichaan

• Members

Well, after suffering from Tele-gas for a long time, I think I finally found some relief. Once again, my wife came through. When she mentioned that I could have $200 for guitar stuff as a birthday present, I began furiously crunching the numbers to see how I could get a Telecaster type guitar on that budget.

For awhile I had been considering Squier guitars (which are very nice) or the SX teles (because I have had great experience with Kurt at Rondo). A friend of mine who owns a Squier and an SX was very helpful, giving me the benefit of his experience, and showing his very nice Squier Standard Tele to me at his weekly blues jam. But, being as cheap as I am, I wanted to stay as far below the budget as possible, so I kept looking.

Yesterday, a couple of weeks before my birthday I went into the local Music Go-Round and I saw this. Stinger was an import line made for C.F. Martin back in the mid-80's through early 90's. They were made in Korea, and shipped to Nazareth for final setup. The STX (Tele model) was only made for the first few years, so this is probably about 20 years old. It is in pretty good shape, and the neck is super. The color is sort of a "Daphne Blue to White Burst". It is unusual, but I like it. The hardware (including the Grover tuners) is all black, including a no-name humbucker (with coil tap) at the bridge. The guitar is routed for a single-coil at the neck, and a humbucker at the bridge. It also has a Stratocaster type tremolo bridge, which gives kind of a nice airy-ness to the sound. I will probably replace the humbucker soon (probably with a P-90), but the neck pickup sounds very nice. This is my first real "used" guitar, and I look forward to getting to know it.

Here are some pics:

stingerfull.jpg

stingerbod1.jpg

stingerhum.jpg

stingerhead.jpg

• Members

Thanks guys! I'm having a lot of fun trying to dial in a good tone for it. The guitar is very bright, and the pickups are kind of trebly. Usually I play with a lot of treble, so I am having to turn things down to tame the icepickiness. Do any of you have especially trebly guitars?

• Members

Happy New Guitar Day!

My XV-800 (tele copy) is pretty trebly. I just lower the treble down some and add in some bass and mids. I think my setup is treble 8, bass 6, mids 6. Gives me a pretty good tone. Then I boost the lows and highs on my graphic EQ when I switch to distortion, but the the other setup works for both clean and lead.

• Members

:cool: Happy NGD!

My brother has a Stinger SGV that he let rot away in his garage for years which I recently overhauled for him; took it apart, cleaned/ polished everything, & swapped out the electronics. My favorite part about it is the neck... it's got a nice 'relic' look from sitting in that hot garage for so long.

Here it is posing with my 'Spare-Parts-O-Caster' (Epi body, Fender neck, & misc spare parts thrown together) and his Sunn Beta Lead amp:

guitsjpg.jpg

• Members

Thanks guys. I'm so glad that you like the color. I have to say, it was one of the things that first caught my eye. When I saw the headstock, I was instantly reminded of the ads for Stinger guitars I used to see in Guitar Player back in the 80's, and then the color just totally distracted me. I liked it, but when I showed it to my wife, she just couldn't stop talking about the finish. It certainly is different from the usual color schemes.

stingerpart.jpg

Archived