Gibson Les Paul BFG

mtbiac

• Members

So I REALLY want to own a real gibson, after owning clones for years, but also can't afford to spend too much. I've mainly been looking at Studios, the Faded mahogany ones, and now the new BFG. The BFG looks perfect in that it can get a better clean tone via the P90, but also great for rock with the burstbucker 3. I also really like the "rugged" look of it.

Besides the "rugged" look and lack of finish, the wooden pot caps, the lack of a 2nd tone knob, the kill switch/toggle reposition, lack of binding, What are the other differences between this guitar and a regular Les Paul? I've heard rumors of the neck being scalloped or something? Is that true? Total deal breaker right there if it is. Is the neck the same thickness as a regular LP?

Do you guys think the lack of inlays on the fingerboard will make playing more difficult? I've only been playing for about 4yrs now and definitely still use the inlays to help me position my fingers sometimes...might be more of a subconscious thing if you know what i mean?

anyway, I'd love to hear you guys' opinions on the BFG. Do share please

• Members

It's a "real" Les Paul that has been put together by a 5 year old.

Billys First Guitar...When school woodwork projects go bad.......

Billy's First Guitar. LOL, that's brilliant, if you're the originator, hat's off!

• Members

It's a "real" Les Paul that has been put together by a 5 year old.

Billys First Guitar...When school woodwork projects go bad.......

HAHA That's great. I might just buy it so I can use that joke with my friends ;)

Seriously though, opinions on this thing? Would I be better off finding a nice Studio or Faded Mahogany?

• Members

The BFG has a regular Gibson 50's rounded neck and no scalloping. It looks nice. Also, the no inlay thing, I did scallop a guitar deep enough to remove the inlays, and I have no problems finding my place, I just use the side dots as reference. I also think the lack of real finish will make a difference for the better.

• Members

Great guitars, dont listen to the haters.

If i was to get one id probably get the electronics re done with the toggle where it should be and a kill switch where the BFG toggle is.

I like their no nonsence cut the bull{censored} attitude, only if paired with the right amp as with Marshalls they sound awful imo, but Mesas and Peaveys on the otherhand, bravissimo!!!

• Members

I think it's a les paul for a non-les paul guy. I have never been into pretty guitars that are too nice to take out to a barroom gig. I never liked a humbucker in the neck position. I always liked the stutter thing you could do with a HH guitar by turning one pickup down and flipping the toggle back and forth. I think the BFG would be a good LP for me.

Not that I'm in the market. I've never seen one around in the stores. Either they get snatched up, or the local retailers don't stock them.

• Members

So I REALLY want to own a real gibson, after owning clones for years, but also can't afford to spend too much. I've mainly been looking at Studios, the Faded mahogany ones, and now the new BFG. The BFG looks perfect in that it can get a better clean tone via the P90, but also great for rock with the burstbucker 3. I also really like the "rugged" look of it.

Besides the "rugged" look and lack of finish, the wooden pot caps, the lack of a 2nd tone knob, the kill switch/toggle reposition, lack of binding, What are the other differences between this guitar and a regular Les Paul? I've heard rumors of the neck being scalloped or something? Is that true? Total deal breaker right there if it is. Is the neck the same thickness as a regular LP?

Do you guys think the lack of inlays on the fingerboard will make playing more difficult? I've only been playing for about 4yrs now and definitely still use the inlays to help me position my fingers sometimes...might be more of a subconscious thing if you know what i mean?

anyway, I'd love to hear you guys' opinions on the BFG. Do share please

The differences come down to the finish aspects and the pickup and wiring configuration. That's about it. They basically took the LP's not suitable to be finished, slapped a "worn" finish on them, some cheap knobs, and of course, that broo7al relic-like wear on the whole thing. Why not? It's hip!

That being said, it doesn't have a scalloped neck. I've heard it has a '59 rounded neck like the Vintage Mahogany LP Studio.

In my opinion, you'd be better off with the VM LP Studio. It's cheaper, has a better finish, and it has burstbuckers as well. If you want a p-90 in the neck, there are plenty of places that make humbucker sized p-90's. Even with that, you'd still be a good amount cheaper than the BFG and not have to do any other mods.

I would still, however, try both out side by side. :wave:

• Members

HAHA That's great. I might just buy it so I can use that joke with my friends
;)

Seriously though, opinions on this thing? Would I be better off finding a nice Studio or Faded Mahogany?

Yes you would ,honestly.

I LOVE LPs, and I wanted a BFG bad....until I tried one. The quality was laughable, honestly, a total joke. A bolt on Epi Jnr is a better made guitar.

Buy a guitar that isn't trying to cash in by selling some corporate vision of youth attitude.

Buy a Studio and drop a 'bucker sized P90 in the neck..you be waaaay ahead.

• Members

yeah I'm leaning towards the VM Faded Studio (or a cheaper Studio) as well. They can be had for $750 new or around 600 used, not bad at all. I honestly do like the BFG carved top better than the Faded, but the lack of features, inlays, etc bother me too much. I also just read that the body is hollow in certain areas, I like the heavier feel of the other Les Pauls for sure.

thanks for the advice guys!

• Members

I had two of them and just sold them. Now, before you think that's because they are crap, that's not the case. The finish is unique and while it has a texture, the edges and such are sanded so it's a lot smoother in person than you'd think from photos. The guitar has a thin satin finish over it. The sound is great. I loved the Burstbucker 3 and P-90. The ONLY thing I didn't like was the neck. I've got short fingers and it has the earlier 50's neck, so it was just way too thick for me. I ended up getting a Gibson Swamp Ash Les Paul instead and love it.

Anyway, the BFG is a great guitar, but I wish they had used the thinner neck.

• Members

yeah I'm leaning towards the VM Faded Studio (or a cheaper Studio) as well. They can be had for $750 new or around 600 used, not bad at all. I honestly do like the BFG carved top better than the Faded, but the lack of features, inlays, etc bother me too much. I also just read that the body is hollow in certain areas, I like the heavier feel of the other Les Pauls for sure.

thanks for the advice guys!

ALL Gibson LP's are hollow in areas now. They drill up to 9 holes in them, or even completely hollow out a big cavity inside the body. There's an Xray of a BFG floating around somewhere that shows the routing. There's also Xrays of LP's with the holes drilled.

Any regular LP you'd find today (except for Custom Shop) will have the holes drilled or be routed in some way. Apparently Les Paul can hold a real LP guitar, but the general public is too weak to carry a full weight LP. :rolleyes:

• Members

Yes you would ,honestly.

I LOVE LPs, and I wanted a BFG bad....until I tried one. The quality was laughable, honestly, a total joke. A bolt on Epi Jnr is a better made guitar.

Buy a guitar that isn't trying to cash in by selling some corporate vision of youth attitude.

Buy a Studio and drop a 'bucker sized P90 in the neck..you be waaaay ahead.

:thu:

I suggest we all extend this statement to every other facet of life and being musicians...

• Members

Apparently Les Paul can hold a real LP guitar, but the general public is too weak to carry a full weight LP.
:rolleyes:

Les doesn't get the crap wood typical production model are made out of. They have to continually route these guitars more and more because the wood they are sourcing is sub par.

• Members

The BFG is a nice guitar. My friend let me play it for a few weeks and the unfinished neck is great, it is a 50's profile which is exactly what I wanted. I ended up going with the VM because it had the same neck and unfinished neck feel as well as the regular LP layout (switches and pickup configurations). The great thing about both the BFG and VM is that the pickups scream. I played a dozen or more LP's with the 490/498 combo and they sounded muddy to me. The Burstbucker 3 is hot as {censored} and the BB Pros aren't no slouch either. I just wanted a humbucker in the neck. The P90 was cool as hell though, it was a tough decision to make.

Both are very good guitars if you want something that plays like a beast.

Archived