Neck - Thru

aloha

• Members

I know that this has probably been kicked around a fair amount, but I've been looking at neck-through guitars lately.

I like the no-heel aspect.

I tend to play clean riffs and chords when accompanying a singer or playing normal parts and switch in the gain on my Mesa F-30 for solo parts. I don't know anyone with a neck-through, so I can't find out how they sound and feel for myself.

Please help a deprived child stuck on an island in the middle of the Pacific with your experiences, both positive and negative, with neck-through guitars, specifically if you think the quality you really liked or disliked stemmed from the neck-through construction.

Thanks and much aloha

Z

• Members

I have an all Koa Neck Thru, tung oiled. Sounds great and feels fantastic.

Sound/sustain difference from bolts and glues are probably to subjective. However the feel is just fantastic if you play up high at all.

• Members

Thanks for the response...I was thinking of this combination, as well (all koa). I realize that I'm asking for subjective perspective...

Do you play clean with it as well?

When you play clean, does it feel snappy or dull?

I realize these questions are flawed. If I could have the experience of playing one, then I wouldn't sound so clumsy. In fact, I wouldn't even post; I'd feel it out for myself.

So, thanks for starting this off Sonik. I appreciate your help so far. I was just hoping for some stories here...

Z

p.s. I like the Churchill "{censored} Off" avatar...

• Members

I have had several over the years.
They tend to be heavy, as the neck is braced within the body, meaning it pretty much has to be solid wood all the way through.

Bear in mind, I'm talking neck-through, not set neck.

I never had any quality issues with mine, and I wish I had never gotten rid of one of them in particular. An Aria Pro II Matsumoku made Cardinal series with DiMarzio Humbuckers and an original Floyd Rose installed from circa 1981.

Guitar played, fealt and sounded like a purring kitten. But my goodness, was it heavy.

• Members

Geez, going back awhile now.....

I think so. 24 frets, locking nut, rosewood fretboard. Body was the composite type with the alternating red and white wood stripes, so YEAH, I guess the neck was maple.
I got rid of it '89 or so. It was the main guitar I learned on for 5 years or so.

I remember SOME relieve at the upper frets, as far as the heel goes, but not like they rout 'em these days.

looked similar to this, but OBVIOUSLY, mine was a guitar, not a bass.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ARIA-PRO-II-Bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ200135583288QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Actually, it would be more accurate to say mine was "construced" like this, and used the same color scheme.

If you ever see one, don't hesitate to buy it.

• Members

Well,

I figure that I have a nice set neck Les Paul, a nice bolt on Charvel, and a Holdsworth hollowbody (with different pickups)...

Maybe a neck-through would be something sufficiently different and fun.

My guess is your old guitar, Coral, probably had alternating maple and mahogany stringers.

Thanks for your comments.

Z

• Members

pros are better upper fret access and more sustain. also, most neck-thrus have hard finishes (although so do most sets) which are arguably more reliable and protective.

cons include an addition of brightness (if you're not looking for brightness, and i also believe this is mostly with maple), and the fact that you can't swap the neck out. also, having a hard finish on the neck makes it more "catchy" and such, and slows down your playing, but this is subjective to the player. some are irritated and some aren't. of course, my guitar that i just ordered from carvin is a neck thru, and it comes with a "tung-oil" finish which is said by many who have played it to be even smoother than an unfinished neck.

• Members

Thanks you guys...

I don't mind brightness much as I play clean riffs and chords behind singing. I want something that won't interfere with the singer's range.

My Mesa isn't that bright with the gain channel, so I wonder if the brightness would even be a factor once the leads get punched in...

Right on...

• Members

My C-1 Classic is NT, Fender is (obviously) a BO. NT has better upper fret access. Sustain difference, I dunno, whatever (both sustain plenty). I don't find it to be nearly as big of a deal as some people make, but I haven't been playing as long as some of them, so 'idunno'. C-1 is also in the heavy category, but I don't much mind.

• Members

When you guys say "heavy," are you talking 10lbs or 15lbs or 20lbs?

It's hard to get a bead on. I don't mind heavy, but I don't want to put something around my neck that's completely uncomfortable...

Is the all Koa guitar that heavy?

Z

• Members

I know they are more expencive to fix if the neck is damaged in some cases. I do a heap of 24th fret stuff and it makes it dead easy (even though my guitars are only set neck but they feel and look the same as a neckthrough). It would take me some getting used to with a bolt on but i deffinatly prefer set neck/neckthrough

• Members

Of course neck thru will have easier upper fret access then traditional style bolt ons. Some of the more modern bolt ons like esp ltd however have better upper fret access then most previous designs had. Their 6 bolt rather then 4 bolt and longer then traditional neck joint also helps sustain and fullness of sound.

So main advantages of well made neck thru over well made bolt on (uses esp ltd 6 bolt, very little heel as example) is a bit more sustain and fullness of sound.

Main advantage of a well done bolt on is actually typically a bit of a notch boost in the midrange freq's. And little less sustain which for some peeps is desired.

Yes a maple neck thru (most qaulity bolt ons have maple necks as well btw) will mean more maple in the body, that can add little bit of brightness to instruments sound. Similiar to if had a bolt on (maple) neck guitar with mahogany body and compared that to same model with a maple top on the mahogany body. This topped guitar would be brighter sounding then the maple neck thru with mahogany wings, but the neck thru would be brighter then the bolt on maple with just mahogany body. Brighter then the maple bolt on with mahogany body that had maple top would be: maple neck thru with mahogany wings and maple top on body wings.

A qaulity neck thru is normally gonna be 3 peice or 5 peice. 5 peice versions often use walnut inbetween the 3 maple strips. Which can slightly tame maples brightness. Higher qaulity bolt ons also most often use 3 or 5 peice necks. This like neck thru doesnt have to mean expensive as the esp ltd line proves with their very affordable neck thru basses etc. In a few cases (schecter for example) the neck profile of a mfg bolt on versus neck thru and set neck models will be diff. For example I find schecter neck thru necks wider then their bolt ons. So yes is important to check out the feel of the necks when concidering a mfg bolt ons versus set and neck thru models.

• Members

Darkstorm,

Thank you for an informative post. I agree with you that it is important to get my fingers onto and around each neck and judge them seperately. Unfortunately, I live on a fairly remote island where low end cheap imports ($100-$200) hang next to Gibson Les Pauls. There really isn't much selection, unless I'm shopping for a Les Paul.

So, I am left with the admittedly subjective collection of experiences that a board like this one can present. And I'm thankful for all the time and energy you guys (and girls) put into discussing all the ridiculous things we do discuss on here regularly.

Thanks again. I hope to hear some more experiences...

• Members

I know that this has probably been kicked around a fair amount, but I've been looking at neck-through guitars lately.

I like the no-heel aspect.

I tend to play clean riffs and chords when accompanying a singer or playing normal parts and switch in the gain on my Mesa F-30 for solo parts. I don't know anyone with a neck-through, so I can't find out how they sound and feel for myself.

Please help a deprived child stuck on an island in the middle of the Pacific with your experiences, both positive and negative, with neck-through guitars, specifically if you think the quality you really liked or disliked stemmed from the neck-through construction.

Thanks and much aloha

Z

I would say you get better sustain, and generally more high end. They tend to cut through the mix really nicely, but probably don't have as many over tones as a good bolt on (maybe). Alot of it is probably to do with the fact that wings won't effect the tone much, and often as not the neck will be either pure maple, or a laminate of woods with maple as the main component (maple is a bright sounding wood). I dunno, alot really depends on the guitar... that's just my take from the guitars in my collection.

The reduced neck heal really depends on the guitar as well, for some reason not all manufacturer's will carve out as much wood as they could at the heel. Basically the heal will tend to start around about where it does on a set neck guitar i'd say.

I'd say if you play shred/metal or anything involving alot of distortion then neck-thru is a good way to go. Otherwise stick with bolt-on or set-neck.

Archived