OT- Reality or Stereotype?

Reitzas

• Members

Did you ever notice that people in movies never say 'goodbye' or something similar when they're done with a phone conversation? They just hang up.

And this is the one that always cracks me up: somebody is watching the news on TV about something that concerns them, i.e. a criminal hears about one of his crimes on TV, a celebrity hears about a scandal he's involved, etc., and they turn off the TV before the story is even over. Know what I mean?

Also, when they get woken up from their sleep with a non-wireless phone next to the bed, they drowsily pick it up in such a clumsy fashion, grabbing the whole damn phone, not just the headset, turning it around a couple of times, like they wouldn't have accidentaly hung up already from all the rummaging (sp?) of the phone in real life.

I also love how the driver of a car can have a conversation with the person sitting next to him, and look at that person for a lengthy amount of time, steering the car practically blind, in full city traffic.

• Members

I used to watch the 6 million dollar man cause Oliver Nelson was doing the background music, and tape the audio so I could analyse what the hell he was doing in the cues... I still love the theme... So you see, there's always a bigger nut than you thought you were... :)

Originally posted by paulskirocks

ihere's one... how come the six million dollar man was able to stand on the ground and hold a helecopter from flying away?! his feet were not hooked to anything! also, did you ever wonder why his bionic arm didn't just rip off his body, even if his feet were glued to the ground?

• Members

I produce a fair amount of Indie audio theater (is there any other kind?) and, let me tell you, that little obligatory stereotypical squeal of feedback is an invaluable tool in audio theater when you're trying to establish a public speaking situation.

The rules for exposition in audio theater are the same as in any other narrative/dramatic art -- you're supposed to establish setting and situation as unobtrusively as possible, certainly without violating common sense standards of natural behavior and speech.

But in radio theater, especially winking, surrealist comic audio theater such as the stuff I produce, a good scene setting stereotype can be invaluable -- better than, say, a character saying to himself, "Here I am, about to speak to the assembled stockholders of the Umericon Corporation in what will no doubt be a defining moment in my life..."

In film/TV, the feedback is just a pointless cliche, I'd say.

• Moderators

Did ya ever notice when I guy gets punched in a movie it sounds like ton of bricks? The limited times I've punched someone it sounded like... I can't even think of anything wimpy enough to desribe it but you know what I mean. When Harrison Ford or Clint or Bruce Willis hits someone it goes thuuuuuud! With lots of 60hz in there. Mine was a little more 3k!

Did ya ever notice that?

• Moderators

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

"And why is it that when I wave my arms around like a martial arts master, I don't get that wind-fan-whipping sound?"

What do you mean you don't get that sound?!? Next you're going to tell me you can't dance across the tree tops whist kicking bad guys asses....:)

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

Did ya ever notice when I guy gets punched in a movie it sounds like ton of bricks? The limited times I've punched someone it sounded like... I can't even think of anything wimpy enough to desribe it but you know what I mean. When Harrison Ford or Clint or Bruce Willis hits someone it goes thuuuuuud! With lots of 60hz in there. Mine was a little more 3k!

Did ya ever notice that?

:)

In the old Benny Hill Show there was always a sketch where he would get his nuts crushed by landing awkwardly on a tree branch or whatever. They used to do the sound effect by scrunching up plastic egg containers.

• Moderators

Originally posted by blackpig

In the old Benny Hill Show there was always a sketch where he would get his nuts crushed by landing awkwardly on a tree branch or whatever. They used to do the sound effect by scrunching up plastic egg containers.

Crikey! I've crushed my plastic egg containers. Yikes!

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

What do you mean you don't get that sound?!? Next you're going to tell me you can't dance across the tree tops whist kicking bad guys asses....
:)

I was a bad student, goofing off in the back. I only know how to fly in the air for five seconds and kick someone in the chest.

• Members

Have you noticed that the ubiquitous 90's "belches," which evolved/devolved into late-90's "farts," are now no longer mandatory?

Today, you have to be whacked in the 'nads. That's right: it's the law. There's even a movie (and the movie's trailer) where a girl impersonating a guy gets whacked in the 'nads...and has to pretend to be rolling in agony. (She's the Man)

• Moderators

Originally posted by Reitzas

(In my best Andy Rooney voice)

Did you ever notice that everytime on television or in the movies when there's a shot of someone talking into a microphone on stage, there's always a little feedback as part of the audio? Is this from the Mandatory Sweetening 101 manual or is it just art imitating life?

Dave Reitzas

www.reitzas.com

The same thing when someone unexpectedly ends up on stage and has to plug in their guitar. Feedback. Back to the Future when he gets up with Chuck Berry and a million others.

I mean, a Les Paul doesn't roar into feedback the minute you plug it into an amp.

This thread reminds me of how my dad (a retired Army Colonel) would curse at the TV during war epics pointing out and laughing at how the Germans were using weapons that weren't even invented until almopst 2 years later. "Two years Lee! These Hollywood people are idiots!" :)

• Members

Or when they show people riding in a car from the front, the car never has a rear view mirror.

Or when people are seated around a table, they all huddle around one side so nobody has their back to the camera.

Archived