Les Pauls from the 80's... any good?

bluesboy

• Members

Mine's not a real shiner, but I love it nonetheless.

The pickups seem to be too flabby in the neck, and too hard in the bridge. There's not much chimey tone to it. I actually prefer my Epi Elite LP Std in the tone department.

The body also uses 4 pieces on both the top and back. But despite that, I'm still quite fond of it. It certainly plays like a dream. I have bought new pups for it, but haven't gotten around to installing them.

Here's its pic.

It's an '83 Custom Shop Edition of a Studio Les Paul. It was my first quality guitar and it was its looks that made me sign the papers. $800 new when I purchased it in '84.

Lester65.jpg

Lester003.jpg

• Members

I love my custom its a 1980. I changed the pickups in it to surreal TD's. The original pickups didn't sound right for what I want(hard rock, Punk, metal), although I thik they would probably sound great for blues type music. The back on mine is one piece. The top is 3 pieces.

HPIM0345.jpg

HPIM0341.jpg

• Members

I love my custom its a 1980. I changed the pickups in it to surreal TD's. The original pickups didn't sound right for what I want(hard rock, Punk, metal), although I thik they would probably sound great for blues type music. The back on mine is one piece. The top is 3 pieces.

HPIM0345.jpg
HPIM0341.jpg

Beautiful guitar! I've been looking for one just like it for ages! So it's a LP Custom, but what do they call that color scheme so I can look out for one?

• Members

Beautiful guitar! I've been looking for one just like it for ages! So it's a LP Custom, but what do they call that color scheme so I can look out for one?

Natural.

Currently Gibson calls it Antique Natural on their '68 RI's.

• Members

I've had this standard since new in 84.

I've had lots of comments over the years from friends on it's tone.

It has the original paf's in it.

I replaced the original tuners and had it refretted a few years ago.

HPIM0940.jpg

It is pretty heavy though, about 9 lbs.

• Members

I guess it is just called natural. I'm not really sure though. Under the neck pick up it is stamped natural. The only thing wrong with it is whoever owned it before was a dumbass and used a capo that didn't have any padding on it so the back of the neck is a marked up from that.

• Members

I have an 87 studio, it plays like a dream, lots of sustain and no flaws to speak of. Excellent fretwork. The last owner put the 81 in the bridge. It blends well with the neck pickup so I left it, but I can't comment on how the stock pickup would have sounded. I would buy another later 80's lp in a heartbeat.

245202392.jpg

• Members

yeah everytime i see some clips of Mick Ronson on youtube i get gas for a natural finish like that too

Archived