1 meg control pots on single coils?

bluesrock70's

• Members

I'm no expert (by far on pots) but usually you use a 250K on single coils and a higher value on humbuckers, 500K or 1 meg.

I have a '69 Thinline and it is my understanding that those 1meg pots are a large part of the reason that that guitar is so bright. :eek:

My question is do you just need to change them on the volume pots or both the volume AND tone pots. My guess is volume only will do the trick.

Tell me Don Pardo, what do I win?

edit, dunno nuttin about caps. :cry:

• Members

1meg, no. I'm using hot-wound (6.5k AlNiCo V) BG Vintage 60s with a 500M pot in my Strat neck and mid. They have a brilliant, bright, and surprisingly complex thick sound that really hurts through an amp without a tone stack to balance things. 1meg would go far too far, and I think it would be absolutely piercing from the bridge.

Maybe if you had a guitar made of much darker sounding tone woods and a pickup which really pulled back on the highs...but seriously, you're just pushing things way the hell out of balance at that point.

• Members

I just wired up a Squier with Fender noiseless pups and they came with 1 meg pots. The instructions had them wired up like a regular strat but they cam with a .022uf cap, a 680pf cap and a 220k resister so you could wire it up like an American Strat. So I pulled the schematic off the Fender site and wired it up like an American Strat using everything that came with set.

• Members

I swapped out the 1 meg pots in my thinline for 250K. The 1megs really aren't as ice picky as people claim they are. I was just experimenting and happened to like the 250Ks that I thew in there. pots and caps are cheap. if you aren't happy with something swap em out for something else and see what you think.

• Members

Nothing wrong with 1M pots, I have it in my custom tele.

So 1M pots, CS Fender Nocaster pups and a walnut with maple top body...

BF Champ clone

5E3 clone

Both recordings are my tele direct into an amp (no other EQ).

That doesn't sound ice picky to me. :confused:

ZN_Tele_7.jpg

There is one thing I have to change. I have to install Treble Bleed mod but I'm afraid this would mess with my tone to much. :freak:

Like you said, try them and if you don't like it, change it. Tone is a very personal thing, nobody can tell you what is good for you. You just have to try.

;)

Archived