Ozzy Osbourne Shot in the Dark -why am i having such a hard time copying this song?

• Members

no, his tuning is: F#,B,D,G,B,E

Edit: Sorry that's: F,Bb,Db,Gb,Bb,Eb
:o

:freak:

Doesn't make sense that he would tune like that. I can see how it'll be slightly easier to play the main riff. But it's not THAT difficult that I would need to change tunings. Not to mention the fact that I've seen him play the song without changing guitars that were already in standard tuning. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then eh? :thu::)

• Members

Doesn't make sense that he would tune like that. I can see how it'll be slightly easier to play the main riff. But it's not THAT difficult that I would need to change tunings. Not to mention the fact that I've seen him play the song without changing guitars that were already in standard tuning. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then eh?
:thu::)

I don't think we disagree 100%, but I do think if you really want to get it to sound like the original recording, you have to change the tuning. Yeah it can be played in standard, but the main riff doesn't quite sound right without the 5th string played open. Makes sense to me that he may not have wanted to bring one extra guitar on tour just for that song, but people do all kinds of {censored}ed up {censored} in the studio. :cool:

• Members

My $.02:

I think he's tuned standard to Eb and playing the main riff as follows:

Eb---------------------------------------------

Bb--3-------2-------------3-------2-----------

Gb--2-------2-------------2-------2-----------

Db---------------------------------------------

Ab----2--2----2-2-2-2-2-----2--2---2-2-2-2-2

Bb--3-------2---------------------------------

Gb--0-------0--2--4---------------------------

Db-------------2--5----5-2------2--5**--------

Ab--------------------------2-5----------------

Eb----3--3-------------------------------------

There's a YouTube here, but I couldn't really tell. Although Phil is playing it in the "B" position on bass.

Regarding the whole Jake v Zakk debate, I'd have to go with Jake. His leads had more feeling and creativity to me. Zakk's better technically speaking, but his solos aren't all that memorable to me.

• Members

Seems like people will always go overboard. When Jake was playing with Ozzy, he used to get booed, because he wasn't Randy. He was never really given a fair shake. He was a good, if somewhat typical 80's guitarist.

But, people saying he smokes Zakk, I don't think so. Looking strictly at how well they play a guitar, and not at compositional abilities, I don't see how people can see it other than Randy > Zakk > Jake. Perhaps some of you guys have never seen Zakk's solo acoustic work. He can definitely out shred Jake on electric, and I have not seen Jake do any acoustic work that is even close to the same caliber as what I have seen Zakk do.

One great thing about Jake, he had first rate 80's style showmanship. He moved very gracefully. His showmanship was what all those other 80's guitarist where trying to do.

• Members

Seems like people will always go overboard. When Jake was playing with Ozzy, he used to get booed, because he wasn't Randy. He was never really given a fair shake. He was a good, if somewhat typical 80's guitarist.

But, people saying he smokes Zakk, I don't think so. Looking strictly at how well they play a guitar, and not at compositional abilities, I don't see how people can see it other than Randy > Zakk > Jake. Perhaps some of you guys have never seen Zakk's solo acoustic work. He can definitely out shred Jake on electric, and I have not seen Jake do any acoustic work that is even close to the same caliber as what I have seen Zakk do.

One great thing about Jake, he had first rate 80's style showmanship. He moved very gracefully. His showmanship was what all those other 80's guitarist where trying to do.

Sure Zakk can play faster/outshred Jake, but I think Jake was/is a lot more tasteful player. I think Zakk sometimes adding squeals and other stuff just to be playing something. I do think Zakk is a damn good player regardless, but I think Jake's playing embellished and helped carry the songs as opposed to overshadowing them. IMO, Randy>Jake>Zakk.

• Members

Sure Zakk can play faster/outshred Jake, but I think Jake was/is a lot more tasteful player. I think Zakk sometimes adding squeals and other stuff just to be playing something. I do think Zakk is a damn good player regardless, but I think Jake's playing embellished and helped carry the songs as opposed to overshadowing them. IMO, Randy>Jake>Zakk.

I don't think we are in disagreement. I agree that Jake was a more consistently tasteful player than Zakk. If fact, I think "Mama I'm coming home" is one of the few instances of Zakk playing tastefully with Ozzy.

As an artist Jake > Zakk

But as strictly a player Zakk > Jake

• Members

Everyone has to check out his band Badlands if u havent...his playing is incredible...especially on their "Voodoo Highway" album..the VERY raw recording of the album "Dusk" is fantastic....just like u are in the studio...and Ray Gillan on vocals was a great blues singer.....

eric

• 1 month later...
  • Members

My $.02:

I think he's tuned standard to Eb and playing the main riff as follows:

Bb--3-------2-------------3-------2-----------

Gb--2-------2-------------2-------2-----------

Db---------------------------------------------

Ab----2--2----2-2-2-2-2-----2--2---2-2-2-2-2

Bb--3-------2---------------------------------

Gb--0-------0--2--4---------------------------

Db-------------2--5----5-2------2--5**--------

Ab--------------------------2-5----------------

Eb----3--3-------------------------------------

There's a
, but I couldn't really tell. Although Phil is playing it in the "B" position on bass.

Regarding the whole Jake v Zakk debate, I'd have to go with Jake. His leads had more feeling and creativity to me. Zakk's better technically speaking, but his solos aren't all that memorable to me.

I just watched that youtube. Geez, personally I thought the version on the live/loud dvd with Zakk was 10 times better sounding....But I've always loved Zakk's sound. So why does everyone on this forum hate the guy so much? Is he just an a-hole??

• Members

I just watched that youtube. Geez, personally I thought the version on the live/loud dvd with Zakk was 10 times better sounding....But I've always loved Zakk's sound. So why does everyone on this forum hate the guy so much? Is he just an a-hole??

That clip is from a British TV programme, from the 1980's, called " The Tube ". It probably came from a VHS recording of the programme. Comparing the sound quality of Jake's playing from that source, with a professionally produced live recording, isn't really fair.

In addition, practically all live albums are doctored anyway. One thing you can say about the performance from " The Tube ", is that it was live. The programme insisted that all performances had to be live, and Ozzy's vocal performance is a testament to that.

As regards the issue of Jake's position re Zakk, all I will say, is that compared with most of the rock guitar players of that era,, in terms of vibrato, bending, phrasing, and sheer musicality, Jake's playing was head and shoulders above just about everyone. There were only a few others who could really be called his peers.

IMHO

:wave:

• Members

Doesn't make sense that he would tune like that. I can see how it'll be slightly easier to play the main riff. But it's not THAT difficult that I would need to change tunings. Not to mention the fact that I've seen him play the song without changing guitars that were already in standard tuning. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then eh?
:thu::)

El guapo, you are correct sir!..... ding ding ding....winner!

Actually I have no idea what jake E. Lee. tuned to himself but I have to believe you are right.

We used to cover that song in the hairdays and our guitarist nailed it exactly note for note in standard tuning.

We played all kinds of heavy guiter oriented rock and prided ourselves on nailing covers very accurately. Our guitarist was one of the most well reguarded guitarists in the area at that time and he could easily handle songs like that.

We covered Yngwie, Eric Johnson, Evh, Lynch, Queensryche, Maiden, All flavors of Ozzy, etc and he never struggled for a second with any of it.

It may be that changing the tuning on a particular string might make certain "parts" of that song a little easier to play, but I believe Jake could, and did, play it in standard tuning just like a bunch of others that I have heard do it correctly.

Just cause some store bought Mel bay instructional book has the tuning rearranged, doesnt mean it was written and recorded that way.

• Members

That clip is from a British TV programme, from the 1980's, called " The Tube ". It probably came from a VHS recording of the programme. Comparing the sound quality of Jake's playing from that source, with a professionally produced live recording, isn't really fair.

In addition, practically all live albums are doctored anyway. One thing you can say about the performance from " The Tube ", is that it was live. The programme insisted that all performances had to be live, and Ozzy's vocal performance is a testament to that.

As regards the issue of Jake's position re Zakk, all I will say, is that compared with most of the rock guitar players of that era,, in terms of vibrato, bending, phrasing, and sheer musicality, Jake's playing was head and shoulders above just about everyone. There were only a few others who could really be called his peers.

IMHO

:wave:

i remember to watch some cool hairbandz from the 80s @ The tube from BBc.. blow jovi, twisted sister, ozzy, def leppard!! loved this show!:cry:

Archived