This here tuno-matic Strat thingy (SX)

Alanfc

• Members
sst57_mod_001.jpg

i can has powder blue stop tail strat.

for $99 its great. 1st thing youll need to do it replace the bridge and studs. everything else is optional.

- tuners are annoying, kinda slip stick, but once tuned, they work fine. i replaced mine with grovers that i had lying around.
- pickups and electronics are good. far better than youd expect. i replaced the bridge pup with a humbucker to see what it would sound like. sounds good :) the other 2 are going back in at some point (been lazy).
- bridge, as i said is crap, i put on a $12 korean bridge with made a big difference. tailpiece is fine, i left it stock.
- body and finish are really really good. the poly is thinner than most guitars, and doesnt have any flaws and isnt super shiny. the wood is 3 piece alder of some sort. not too heavy, resonates well.
- neck. some people hate the shape, i like it. frets on mine were good, but a tad sharp on the edges. some steel wool and emery cloth cleaned it right up. finish on the neck is thick and a bit sticky. well, mine was anyway. i sanded the back down to the wood and put lemon oil on it every few months. feels awesome.
- strings are dadarrio 9-42. i like those, so they stayed (til they broke, hehe)

this is my favourite guitar now. not the best sounding i have, and certainly not versatile with one pickup, but it feels nice and is fun to play, which can be just as important in a guitar i think.

so there :p

• Members
I never understood why they didn't just go with a regular hard tail....I like Tune-O-Matics (especially with thru-body) and all, but on a strat is just seems wrong...especially since there's no neck-pitch angle like on most set-necks...

You could shim it...
:D

Seriously,string-thru would make me weak...
:cool:

• Members

I never understood why they didn't just go with a regular hard tail....I like Tune-O-Matics (especially with thru-body) and all, but on a strat is just seems wrong...especially since there's no neck-pitch angle like on most set-necks...

I'm also casually on the hunt for a mahogany hardtail strat body and may build something someday like this. I know some other companies have this going (Schecter) but I want to put something special together.. eventually

Archived