I Love McCartney

• Members

There are very, very few artists, when the mood comes over me, that I will load up and play their stuff for hours 'cause I can't get enough.

Now for the first time I'm feeling that way about post-Beatles McCartney stuff. Oh, yeah, there's some fluff and filler in there, but, Lordy Lordy when he's good he's GOOD.

So I guess I've finally forgiven him for all those things that happened after the Fab4 broke up that ticked off us Beatle fans that were in grade school when She Loves You was released. Well, some things take time.

I now realize how familiar his voice is, such a part of the landscape I take for granted.

C'mon Sir Paul, crank out a few more before you finally decide to hang it up. You've still got it, that's for sure.

nat whilk ii, feeling all sentimental over a pop star...

• Members

Originally posted by nat whilk II

I Love McCartney

Then I say don't hold back a moment longer! Give him a call now or casually drop by and tell him of the depth of your love! :love: :love: :love: He is available again, as I'm certain you know the story goes...

***j/k*** ;)

Rick

• Members

Everyone talks about John as being the most influential Beatle. I disagree. Paul is the man. I just love his melodic writing for all those Beatle songs.

His solo stuff isn't as good (to me) as the Beatles, but (to me again) it beats John's solo stuff.

Plus, in the superbowl half time show last year, did any of you catch him singing "Hey Jude"? In "Hey Jude", he hits a high F note right before the "na na na" part of the tune. For any unaware, this high F is the note that is on the top line of the treble clef. Many altos won't try to sing this note.

After years of touring, and being over 60, you would think that singing it would just not be doable. But alas, he sang the F note and in full voice. I was floored.

• Members

What can one say, you know?

In what was it, the spring of '02 I think, I drove from Kansas City to Detroit to see Macca in concert. It was either Denver, Chicago, or Detroit, and although Denver and Chicago are closer, I have friends I can stay with in Detroit. George Harrison had just passed away, and it was like "If you don't go see McCartney now, who knows, you might not get the chance". I was fortunate enough to have seen Harrison in concert in '74...and he never really toured again.

It was worth every mile of the trip. The lights went down, some "Cirque du Soleil" types came out and made their way through the audience to kind of get everyone ready for the show.

He opened with "Hello, Goodbye" and it was instantaneously 1967 again. I mean, other acts have made me say "Yeah, it was fun back then" but this was different.

A great show.

+1 on the Paul appreciation. :cool:

His bass playing is some of the most inventive and melodic ever.

He's crimminally under-rated as a guitarist.

Anyone who can sing/ record "Yesterday", and then a few hours later track a vocal shredder like "I'm Down" deserves serious respect as a singer.

Do I need to mention he's one of the most successful composers of all time? Two hundred years from now, Lennon / McCartney will still be discussed, still be listened to, and still be respected as writers. I can't think of that many people from the pop / rock era that I could confidently say that about.

He doesn't suck as a record producer either.

And - be honest here - is there anyone cooler than Macca? Just watch those Ed Sullivan performances. Everyone wanted to do that after seeing those shows - they probably launched more bands than any other event in history.

Not only did he look cool, but he looked like he was having a BLAST! In this age of angst-ridden rawk stars, that kind of enthusiasm is still something I have a lot of respect and admiration for. Isn't playing music upposed to be FUN? Paul, after all these years, still looks like he's having a blast every time I see him playing. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

[b

Anyone who can sing/ record "Yesterday", and then a few hours later track a vocal shredder like "I'm Down" deserves serious respect as a singer.

And Mother Nature's Son and Helter Skelter, though I'm sure they weren't done the same day.

He is one of a handful of people I would like to meet.

The video of a 21 year-old Paul singing I Saw Her Standing There playing what is essentially a lead bass during the Wash, DC concert in Feb '64 is truly amazing to me.

• Members

I loved the Beatles, still listen to them a lot. Just have never really enjoyed any of the post Beatles stuff.

The Beatles had a great run. By todays standards (referring to how many albums modern artists produce) they were together like 30 years, so they did enough good things for me.

I think McCartney needed Lennon to say, "Paul that really sucks" and John needed the push from Paul. They both needed a filter. By themselves, they don't do it for me.

• Members

Originally posted by MoreGuitars

I loved the Beatles, still listen to them a lot. Just have never really enjoyed any of the post Beatles stuff.

And I always assumed your username was a quote from McCartney's 1st solo album titled "McCartney" from the song "Oo You" where you can hear Paul saying, after the first riff, "More guitar"....

Guess not.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I don't know how it's possible to love the Beatles and not appreciate Pauls later work ...

I think London Town is a very underated album.

Off the Ground is a great sounding album.

The only Macca album I'm embarrased about is his last one, and I blame the production entirely. It's the first time i've heard a cold, clinical, dead-boring McCartney album. Even sounded like some lifeless midi drums in there ... ugh. But I thought Maccas voice and melodic/harmonic ideas were still in there, struggling to get out of what sounded like a Protools nightmare.

I've normally refered to Macca albums for a dose of that warm, noisy tape sound whenever I needed a reality check. I'll be using the last album as a reality check of exactly what not to do.

• Members

Which album do you mean, Kiwi? I found both the last two albums to be wonderful.

Lilly & I spend a half hour - forty minutes in the car each morning. It brings me great joy that many mornings, in recent months, she's begged to hear Jenny Wren over and over. :thu: I'm very partial to English Tea and Chaos & Creation, Fine Line, At The Mercy and others.

As for Flaming Pie, I liked most of that record, too. I Can See The World Tonight is great fun to play. Calico Skies is a wonderful acoustic piece and there are plenty of styles represented well.

I've listened to the Beatles as far back as I can remember, and I've loved all their solo careers. If I have a complaint against Paul it's when he insists on playing all the instruments himself. With the caliber of musicians he could have at his beck and call, there's no excuse for missing out on the great collaborative ability of great players in the same room, recording a good or great song.

• Members

Originally posted by fantasticsound

As for Flaming Pie, I liked most of that record, too.

If I have a complaint against Paul it's when he insists on playing all the instruments himself. With the caliber of musicians he could have at his beck and call, there's no excuse for missing out on the great collaborative ability of great players in the same room, recording a good or great song.

Flaming Pie is really outstanding, methinks. It was a minor revelation to me just how well Paul's style meshed with Steve Miller - similar talents in a lot of ways. One mindblower to me from that album is from "I Used To Be Bad" where Paul and Steve swap vox verses. Steve Miller's smooth, soulful Texas-style blues singing makes Paul's lines sound weak in comparison, at least on that one tune. I wish they'd put together a band around their twosome.

Another fave of mine is Driving Rain, esp. listening to Paul sing loud and screaming so incredibly well with that huge range - and Dennis Chamber's great drums. How Paul has kept his vocal chords from shredding all these years is a mystery - a freak of nature.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I lost over half of my albums in an 'act of God' type situation. Thing is I'd recorded most of my fav songs to dat. Well, my dat died several years ago but I just picked up one on ebay and I've been rediscovering a bunch of old stuff (tonight it's Quadraphania).

Anyway, I found my tape with my fav cuts from that McCartney album with 'My Brave Face, Figure of 8, I know that You want her too, This One, ' etc and I was just marveling over the parts and the use of stereo not to mention Elvis C. and the unreal bass playing and melodies. This one came out the same time as the Elvis C. album with Veronica (Paul played bass) where they collaborated.

That's the Paul show I saw in the early 90s at Rupp in Lexington. It was so weird but everyone sang along and nearly everyone sang in tune. Just a glorious night. And he did a bunch of Beatles tunes that night too. Just really remember 'Fool on the Hill' where Paul was playing an upright piano and the whole stage came up in a spinning cylinder under him propelling him into the air. Very cool magical night I'll never forget.

:thu:

• Members

I saw that same tour in Indianapolis. btw, it was a digital piano in an upright body, but no matter...I swear, the whole audience broke out in tears when he did "Fool On The Hill".

Paul, always my favorite. He's had some BS moments, but his body of work prior to them gives him the latitude.

"London Town"...yes, quite underrated.

Funny...I was thinking the same sentiment as the title of this thread just earlier today; I was working in the basement, and some selections from "Flaming Pie" came on the iPod.

• Members

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

I don't know how it's possible to love the Beatles and not appreciate Pauls later work ...

I think London Town is a very underated album.

Off the Ground is a great sounding album.

The only Macca album I'm embarrased about is his last one, and I blame the production entirely. It's the first time i've heard a cold, clinical, dead-boring McCartney album. Even sounded like some lifeless midi drums in there ... ugh. But I thought Maccas voice and melodic/harmonic ideas were still in there, struggling to get out of what sounded like a Protools nightmare.

I've normally refered to Macca albums for a dose of that warm, noisy tape sound whenever I needed a reality check. I'll be using the last album as a reality check of exactly what not to do.

I think McCartney's song "Freedom" might be one of the most insipid songs ever written. So it's not hard for me to appreciate the Beatles, and not care for post Beatles McCartney.

BTW, I have been listening to Rubber Soul all day. Still a very topical album.

• Members

And I`m sure you will get an answer that befuddles all your glowing adulations.

Paul will get fleeced by the one legged goldigger and his ticket prices will be even more ridiculous than they already are just so YOU can pay his alimony! Paul is dumb when it comes to love but not money $$$

Paul`$ guitar work with the Beatles was underrated - EG Good Morning, Good Morning etc....But he was a dick to George and John in the end. Paul`$ inflated ego was a key element of the Beatles break-up.

I liked Ram and a good bit of the Wings stuff but he really screwed Denny Laine.

After Wings he hasn`t thrilled me with much of his music. He wrote alot of dumb songs IMHO.

I think John`s solo stuff blows away Paul'$.

In fact, George's solo material may be more relevent than Paul'$ when said and done.

Ringo is just happy to be ....

:p

• Members

Originally posted by fred zappelin

And I`m sure you will get an answer that befuddles all your glowing adulations.

Paul will get fleeced by the one legged goldigger and his ticket prices will be even more ridiculous than they already are just so YOU can pay his alimony! Paul is dumb when it comes to love but not money $$$

Paul`$ guitar work with the Beatles was underrated - EG Good Morning, Good Morning etc....But he was a dick to George and John in the end. Paul`$ inflated ego was a key element of the Beatles break-up.

I liked Ram and a good bit of the Wings stuff but he really screwed Denny Laine.

After Wings he hasn`t thrilled me with much of his music. He wrote alot of dumb songs IMHO.

I think John`s solo stuff blows away Paul'$.

In fact, George's solo material may be more relevent than Paul'$ when said and done.

Ringo is just happy to be ....

Care to hum us a few bars of your outstanding catalog, Freddy, old boy?

Care to show us your contract?

Care to put us in touch with your accountant who clearly has relieved you of the burden of paying nineteen and six in the pound tax from a pathetic percentage deal previously done?

Care to show us a more solid showbiz marriage than Paul and Linda's?

Care to show me a man that isn't completely lost when he loses his true love and life companion to cancer and loses himself and his judgement in the process?

Sit down and shutup. Your post is BS.

• Members

Originally posted by fred zappelin

As far as complete albums go - 'All Things Must Pass' beats any Macca album by a long shot. :thu::evil:

Archived