Were Flying Vs intended for jazz?

Faber

• Members

Those and the explorers? After all they came out at a time when Rock n' Roll was still in it's infancy, and distortion was still something to be avoided.

Did the good people at Gibson really expect any jazzer to get up on the bandstand and play Stella By Starlight on a V? :eek::freak:

• Members

As far as I'm aware they were made for dealers to show them off to customers as examples of what Gibson could do if all restraints were thrown to the wind. Most of them sat in dealers windows for a while without being sold. That's what I read but no doubt someone else will tell me I'm wrong and have an alternative explanation.

• Members
As far as I'm aware they were made for dealers to show them off to customers as examples of what Gibson could do if all restraints were thrown to the wind. Most of them sat in dealers windows for a while without being sold. That's what I read but no doubt someone else will tell me I'm wrong and have an alternative explanation.

I thought that was just the Moderne? But I'm probably wrong.

I've heard about them being used for signs, that's some coll sounding signs ;)

• Members

They came out during the early space age, Sputnik, Mercury, Gemini, Jetsons, etc. They embraced that style.

true, much like the Strat. OTOH, strats were aimed at country players, whereas Gibson's bread and butter at the time were jazz players.

• Members

You can play ANY kind of music on ANY type of guitar.

Sure - that don't mean that a product isn't aimed for a particular segment of the market. You can play exellent jazz on a JEM I'm sure, but they really aren't intented for that market

• Members

This all comes down to how our perception of shape and style has changed. We are looking back at the late 1950s early 1960s with post '70s goggles. The shape of the stratocaster is a good example. When you look at it, it has become such a familiar and iconic shape that it becomes what we consider to be almost a standard or norm. If the Jazzmaster or something like that had been played by Hendrix more, perhaps that would have become our standard shape...? Same goes for the Les Paul shape. When you think about it - it is just a normal acoustic shape with a cut away... but its image now has so many connotations.

• Members

According to one version of the story the "Modernistic" trio(Moderne, Flying V, Futura/Explorer) came out of Ted McCarty taking umbrage at comments from someone at a trade show that Gibson were stodgy and old fashioned compared to Fender and other manufacturers.

• Members

Thats what I have read too.

Archived