Did Peter Frampton ever use an ES-335 in the Humble Pie era?

bikehorn

• Members

He's always associated with 3-pickup Les Pauls, but I've seen a few early videos of Humble Pie and he's got a Gretsch of some kind. I seem to recall him saying in an interview somewhere that he had an ES-335 which he traded for the black 3-pickup Les Paul sometime in before the Frampton Comes Alive era because he was having major feedback problems. Am I just dreaming? I can't find anything anywhere that says he was a 335 user and it's driving me insane. What about on record? He and Steve Marriott both have lethal tone on "Rock On" and I wonder what he used in the studio. 335 maybe? :lol:

• Members

On the 'Rockin' the Fillmore' album, he's shown with a black Les Paul Custom, but it's not his famous 3-pickup one. I've also seen him with Gretsch solid bodies in the Humble Pie time.

Never saw a Humble Pie era photo of him with a 335.

I believe that 2-pickup Custom is the same guitar as his famous 3-pickup Custom -- he's said that that guitar did not start out as a 3-pickup guitar.

• Members

The story I heard was that he had a 335 that fedback like {censored} and that a member of the audience lent him the three pickup custom for the second show and he liked it so much they made some kind of deal. That guitar was later destroyed in a cargoplane crash. I believe the story appeared in the British magazine Guitarist a couple of years ago when they interviewed him. You may be able to access it on their website.

• Members

The story I heard was that he had a 335 that fedback like {censored} and that a member of the audience lent him the three pickup custom for the second show and he liked it so much they made some kind of deal. That guitar was later destroyed in a cargoplane crash. I believe the story appeared in the British magazine Guitarist a couple of years ago when they interviewed him. You may be able to access it on their website.

I think this is the story I was thinking of. I seem to recall him being pretty pragmatic about the loss of his guitar, saying that at least people didn't get killed in the accident.

• Members

Frampton used to head up a group called "The Herd" (disbanded 1968 I think) before he joined "Humble Pie".

I saw them playing live at a weekend festival in 1967 (I think) and they were so bad that after a couple of songs everyone in the audience started throwing things at them (including bottles, mind you!) and drove them off the stage!

• Members

Frampton used to head up a group called "The Herd" (disbanded 1968 I think) before he joined "Humble Pie".

I saw them playing live at a weekend festival in 1967 (I think) and they were so bad that after a couple of songs everyone in the audience started throwing things at them (including bottles, mind you!) and drove them off the stage!

The Herd were a prog-lite quartet who had a few minor hits (one of which was From The Underworld), written and produced by the team of Howard & Blaikley, who did the same job for the decidedly rowdier Dave Dee, Doxy, Mick & Tich. Thanks to PF's abnormal youthful prettitude -- DISC Weekly dubbed him 'The Face Of '68', they had a sizable teengirl following although the other three were decidedly older and plainer than PF, who was 17 or so at the time.

The keyboard player was Andy Bown, who later resurfaced playing (I think) bass for Status Quo.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/villa/9500/herd.htm

• Members

The Herd were a prog-lite quartet who had a few minor hits (one of which was From The Underworld), written and produced by the team of Howard & Blaikley, who did the same job for the decidedly rowdier Dave Dee, Doxy, Mick & Tich. Thanks to PF's abnormal youthful prettitude -- DISC Weekly dubbed him 'The Face Of '68', they had a sizable teengirl following although the other three were decidedly older and plainer than PF, who was 17 or so at the time.

The keyboard player was Andy Bown, who later resurfaced playing (I think) bass for Status Quo.

Andy Bown is the keyboard player in Quo and another meaningless factoid, The Herd's biggest hit was "I Don't Want Our Loving To Die". It worries me that I'm in possesion of this information.

• Members

by the team of Howard & Blaikley, who did the same job for the decidedly rowdier Dave Dee, Doxy, Mick & Tich.

Bad Typing Day: H&B's other charges were, of course, Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich. So sorreee ....

Archived