The $69,000 Turntable

• Members

I'm not kidding:

right here

:eek:

I saw this in a magazine this afternoon. I always get a chuckle out of some of the esoteric high-end audio gear, but this is the first I've seen this kind of price, dayam! Bet you could hear all kinds of nuances in your old Partridge Family vinyl!

• Members

Most musicians don't seem to "get" the audiophile market. Not to say there isn't plenty of snake oil, though. The people who buy that stuff usually have a serious passion for listening to music and are pretty much always very wealthy and have the money to make sure they get the very best. They're the kind of peole who can actually buy lake houses, and summer cottages, and big yachts. I think an expensive stereo is always a much better waste of money than a yacht. You might consider spending that much on a turntable foolish, but I wouldn't generally consider the people that buy them to be fools. I personally consider them to be less foolish than the people that are paying the ridiculous prices for vintage Les Paul sunbursts, for instance. At least they will actually use the turntable.

For the manufacturer, it's a flagship product. You price it higher and only make a few of them. Also, if you look at the price structure of most audiophile stuff, it's similiar to the MI prices, where 10-20% off isn't uncommon, with more % being taken off of the higher priced items. For example, while a lower range product might sell for 4k w/ MSRP at 4.5k, that 70k MSRP might retail as low as 50k, depending of course on what the actual wholesale cost is. With a somewhat unique or flagship product, you can usually get some nice free advertising in magazines when any trade shows you're at get covered.

I heard those laser turntables were pretty disappointing. Very noisy. The way I heard that explained is that the needle actually cleans out the groove some at it goes along. A laser can't do that and so there's more bit's of dust and things that cause noise.

That price isn't unheard of either. Rockport has made something of a similiar price in the past. People do buy the stuff. Wilson is doing well selling expensive speakers. B&W sold a lot more of the Nautilus than they were expecting too. (Not that I'd get either brand, I'd most likely go for Soundlab or GedLee.) Anyway, I do still think it's crazy, just not as crazy as some of you seem to think. :p

• Members

$69000? do you mean $6900?

Back in the day (don't you hate that phrase?) I owned an audio shop, mainly for the audiophile enthusiest. That was way back in the mid 70's and it wasn't unusual for a high end turntable to rate a $3000 price tag. Most of the money went into design of the isolation system to prevent feedback, skipping and jumping from bumps etc. The arm and pickup needle were spendy as well. So, a modern $6900 price tag, not so unbelievable.

Belt driven was superior to direct drive and lazer was to needles as MP3 is to WAV.

• Members

Yeah, I used to sell high end audio at Audio Showcase in New Haven, CT back in the early 70's. We had the Rabco products for the "Oooh-Ahhh" value, but most people bought the Duals and Gerrards.

I know more about audiophile mindsets than you think.

KB

• Members

I originally saw this thing in a "high lifestyle" type magazine, they had quoted the price as $69,000. I didn't even see a price on the manufacturer's website; sorry if I passed on a misquote.

Still interesting to look at.

• Members

My audiophile buddy tells me this is a respected outfit (but what does he know, he only has 7 G's in his turntable/tonearm [i was saying 10 thou for a while but it turned out he got some kinda discount... still 10 was the first figure I heard... as modest as this guy generally is -- he drives an 8 year old Accord -- maybe there is just a wee bit of brag-rights aspect] )...

I'm a bit mixed on the whole business.

A lot of us fader pushers get on our high horse -- especially when we see patent bull{censored} like those Nordost Cable-Burn In rigs! -- and dis the audiophiles for not being scientific -- but how many recording "engineers" use an external clock to "improve" the sound of a single converter (despite the fact that every single bit of science on that says it's essentially hooey)... and I continue to be utterly amazed at the willful ignorance among people who consider themselves "serious professionals" running studios with hundreds of thousands of dollars who make decisions based on buzz, marketing BS, and psuedo-sciencie.

So... let's just get out the Windex and clean up our own glass houses...

That said, I think I'd MUCH rather waste my money on a boat... (if not a yacht)... but for $69K I think I could probably find a very nice little sailboat -- AND a really nice boombox that plays MP3s...

I've heard a modest boombox on a brilliant, cerulean-skied day on a small sailboat off the coast of Malibu -- and it sounded GREAT. Of course, I didn't have any test gear with me... :D

• Members

Originally posted by KB Gunn

Edited. Sorry. Wasn't directed at you specifically.

Originally posted by blue2blue

That said, I think I'd MUCH rather waste my money on a boat... (if not a yacht)... but for $69K I think I could probably find a very nice little sailboat -- AND a really nice boombox that plays MP3s...

I've heard a modest boombox on a brilliant, cerulean-skied day on a small sailboat off the coast of Malibu -- and it sounded GREAT. Of course, I didn't have any test gear with me...
:D

Heh. You may be right about that. I was thinking "motoryacht" when I said "yacht". I have not seen anything to make me believe that motorboats are anything other than huge money pits. Might be more useful if you're on the ocean? I'm not.

Archived