How do you cut big round holes?

• Members

I want to make a couple of speaker cabs. What's the best way for a DIYer to do a good job of cutting the holes for 12" speakers in the baffle board? I'd like to not have to buy any additional tools, but I have been looing for an excuss to buy a Rotozip type tool. I already have a router. Is there some sort of router accessory that would do the job?

• Members

There's an attachment you can get for a jigsaw that uses a screw to anchor the guide to the center of your circle, and you ride the saw around at the end of the guide arm.

For speaker cabs, you could really just rough it with a jigsaw by hand (slow hand), because as long as you are close, the lip of the speaker frame will give you a finished outside look.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

School's out for summer!!!!!!!

School's out forever!!!!!

I'll probalby, carefully use the saber saw method. I'm trying to decide on how to do the front. I'm thinking about expanded metal all the way across, or a couple of expanded metal speaker grills.

• Members

Make sure you use a plywood not particle board especially if you want it to last, also there is a science to building a speaker cabinet. Goggle " building speaker cabinet" and I'll bet you come up with a hundred DYI type sites! :cool::thu:

• Members

Originally posted by ibanezax

Make sure you use a plywood not particle board especially if you want it to last, also there is a science to building a speaker cabinet. Goggle " building speaker cabinet" and I'll bet you come up with a hundred DYI type sites!
:cool::thu:

I recently checked out some Googled finds. One said to use 3/4" plywood or 1" MDF (not exactly the same thing as particle board). I was talking to one of my mentors today, and he says pine boards are the way to go because it is lighter and is easier to work work with using hand power tools. As far as science goes, I read that there really isn't much science in open back guitar speaker cabs, the science is in the sealed and ported cabs. I'm waiting for it to cool down before I get started, It's just been way to hot here in the San Fernando valley to work on a project like this.

• Members

... is "Medium Density Fiber" Board. Again spend a little more money and get a mdf with an veneer overlay. I don't know if you plan on painting them or covering them with stickers?? But don't use pine, you could get a good ply 5/8" to 3/4" it'll be just as light and twice as strong! If you really want to get into it check out a custom cabinet shop, I'm sure they could show you a variety of woods and give you some tips on construction.

• Members

Originally posted by ibanezax

... is "Medium Density Fiber" Board. Again spend a little more money and get a mdf with an veneer overlay. I don't know if you plan on painting them or covering them with stickers?? But don't use pine, you could get a good ply 5/8" to 3/4" it'll be just as light and twice as strong! If you really want to get into it check out a custom cabinet shop, I'm sure they could show you a variety of woods and give you some tips on construction.

I know plywood is lighter than MDF, but I don't know why it would be stronger than pine. On second thought, I've never seen a karate guy break plywood boards ;) I was going to start getting the wood tomorrow. The cabs aren't going to be very big, just something in the area of 28x14x10 inches each. So I don't think I'll have a problem making them stong enough. After considering several options, I think I'm going to go with a classic black vinyl covering and a Fender type cloth speaker grill. I like the look.

QUOTE]Originally posted by ibanezax

I play all that stuff!!! Sleepwalk and Walk Don't Run were the first song my Mentor taught Me!! Small World!

Those are the first songs all us old timers learned. I've just sort of got back to my roots because I think that music is fun to play and fun to listen to. I've even recently got into a surf band.:D

Archived