S-1 ANYONE S-1 Switching - As good as the hype?

namesean

• Members

I rarely use the S1 switch on my Strat.

Same here. Besides my S-1 switch sticks if you push it in. And if you push it to pop it out it will only pop out when it gets ready to. I'm about ready to rip the whole pickguard out and change the whole thing. There are some settings I like with the S-1 like having all three pickups on at the same time.

• Members

I had a Strat with S-1 switching and liked it, but not apparently not tremendously as I sold the guitar to help boot strap my business.

I think the S-1 is good for a S-S-S config, but may not be of much use with a H-S-S. I've played with Tele's with it and it seemed to add some cool, but subtle tonal variations there.

• Members

I like the extra features of the S-1. It allows the extra option of series wiring which creates a thicker pseudo-humbucker tone over the standard parallel pickup wiring setup. I think it's a nice plus that comes with the Deluxe Series of Fenders. It's just part of what the extra $200 buys you.

• Members

I don't think Fender licenses aftermarket S-1 electronics.

They don't. In fact if you want the switch from Fender, you have to give them the old/damaged one and the guitar's history and serial before they can order one from Fender USA.

I don't understand why this is, unless they are trying to keep them a uniquely Fender thing for marketing purposes. Of course, that doesn't help them, as you can pick them up (parted) out on Ebay, although they're going for fairly high prices (obviously).

I'm waiting for someone to make a copy, as they are a great switch - I prefer them to the dubious quality push/pull pots you get.

Archived