Anyone ghetto-painted a guitar?

leakyfaucet

• Members

My girlfriend and I were planning to hand-paint a junk strat body. We were just going to draw goofy stuff and whatever we felt like. Definetly not going for a proffessional look here.

What's the best way to do this without stripping the old poly finish first? I would like the new paint to stay at least a LITTLE bit, not just rub off instantly. Do I have to rough up the old finish and primer first? What kind of paint should I use? Preferably cheap paint =)

I'd love to see everyone else's ghetto-painted guitars! Spray, hand-painted, whatever, as long as you did it yourself!

Thanks!

• Members

scuff it up until there's no more shine, with a scotchbrite pad or sand paper, then use whatever you want to paint it. I've used paint markers on stompboxes and they hold up real well. If you don't like how it comes out you can always sand or clean it off with solvent and start over. It shoul be fun.

Here's a strat body i sprayed last week. Put on 3 coats of primer, three coats of lacquer, then after a couple of days i sprayed 2 heavy clear coats on a super dry day, (like 12% humidity) and the whole thing cracked. I actually like the way it looks so I'm just going to leave it. Once the cracks fill in with grime it should look pretty interesting, but Pretty ghetto too.

DSC00416.jpg

DSC00414.jpg

• Members

Here's a coupla shots of my "TeleCrapper"... It was a white toilet seat but when I screwed it onto the plank I ran a screw clear through it, so I glued the hole, then squirted it with the stuff you spray on the wheels of your truck for a hammered-look finish. After that I mixed up 8 oz of Envirolite and dumped in a whole tube of kid's sparkles and slapped that on. It is hard as a brick! Closest thing to a problem is that the finish is so rough when I play it for longer than half an hour I get a rash on my right arm :idea: so I wear a long sleeved shirt when I play it.

Img_1316.jpg

Img_1314.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

• Members

Here's a coupla shots of my "TeleCrapper"... It was a white toilet seat but when I screwed it onto the plank I ran a screw clear through it, so I glued the hole, then squirted it with the stuff you spray on the wheels of your truck for a hammered-look finish. After that I mixed up 8 oz of Envirolite and dumped in a whole tube of kid's sparkles and slapped that on. It is hard as a brick! Closest thing to a problem is that the finish is so rough when I play it for longer than half an hour I get a rash on my right arm
:idea:
so I wear a long sleeved shirt when I play it.

Img_1316.jpg
Img_1314.jpg
IMG_1326.jpg

it kinda reminds me of Prince's custom guitars only crappier:lol:

• Members

Liberace had a toilet that dissapeared into the floor at the touch of a button.

He hated the look of a toilet for some reason. It raised and lowered whenever you had to use the john. I'm thinking the flexible plumbing must have been an expensive engineering marvel.

Talk about having too much money.......

Archived