Agile 2300 Jr. - Anyone got one?

johnbegone

• Members

Since I sold my Gibson SG Classic, I've been looking to get a cheaper guitar w/ P90's but I haven't quite figured out which one I want to go for yet. I'd to stay under $300, and I'm really digging the look of the Agile Jr.

I did a search on here and found a thread from four or five months back with people talking about them. There were some mixed reviews, but the reviews on HC were pretty outstanding. People complained about the body being lifeless, can anyone attest to that or prove otherwise?

If anyone has one that they're looking to get rid of, or any other P90 guitar for that matter, let me know, maybe we can work something out. Thanks!

• Members

Just trade a guy on here for a Valkyrie w/ HB and I dig it. It got messed up in shipping, which sucks, but I can definitely tell that I like Agile's a lot if they are like this one, great neck. That's why I was looking at the 2300 Jr, I like the look and as of now, I am a fan of Agile's.

I have a couple telecaster's, a LP, and this Agile, so I'm looking for something a little different (not a strat), so that's part of the reason the Jr. is so appealing. Hmmmm

• Members

I have a 2300 and I like it,something in those "cheap" P90's works pretty well. I also got one of the new Xaviere P90 wonders and I must say they are killer. I have a few niggles like the tuners seem stiff, I had to set it up,but other than that for the money it is a great guitar. PU's and electronics all top notch.

• Members

I don't have the 2300 (have AL3000), but I would bet you'd be pleased with it.

But, here's a couple of other options:

1) Get a Melodymaker and jam one or two p-90s (like GFSs or something cheap) into it. My bud has the single pick-up only model. They have a special single coil pup, but to me, it sounds much thinner and closer to the strat bridge pup sound than a p-90, which we both kinda' expected. He's thinking about stuffing a filtertron into it. lol. that said, its an easy axe to play. Kinda' chunky neck but all the frets are fine as is. Plus, its a Gibson. Hang onto it for 20 years and sell for an outlandish price ... er, maybe.

2) Get a Squier Custom II, if the 25.5" scale isn't an issue. I have one of these laying around (not selling it). When I get around to it I'm gonna change the pups and pots. It plays well, but the neck pup is kinda muddy to me. The bridge pup is pretty decent for the $ though.

Good luck and keep us posted on your GAS!

• Members

How about mine? :D It's available on the Classified section:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1785004

If you like the Agile 2300, I would get the dual P90 model rather than the Jr.

There's a certain flair and simplicity to having just the bridge pickup but I definitely got very different sound from the neck and the bridge pickups. A lot of famous musicians were successful with just the bridge pickup but then they had access to a lot more guitars, than you and I.

• Members

I'm not really interested in your LP copy w/ the P90's just because I've got a LP already (Washburn Idol) that I dig, I'm looking to branch out. If you didn't check it out the 2300 Jr. does have two pickups. I've seen those Jay Turser Jr. SG's a couple times, but I've heard mixed reviews on those as well, I'd be interested possibly.

Thanks for the video of your 2300 w/ the TV Jones Powertrons, sounds good!

• Members

What didn't you like about the Gibson? I just orderd one and now you got me worried!

DON"T WORRY! They just have poor factory set up.Either get a setup or do one yourself. File and re-bevel fret edges because they are sharp, reset action and truss rod, possibly re-cut the nut as those are the main issues with low end gibbys. You may also want to look into new pickups, but the p90s are a decent match for SGs just as long as you aren't orried about well defined clean tones. Hope you enjoy your axe

• Members

What didn't you like about the Gibson? I just orderd one and now you got me worried!

Oh no, I loved the Gibson Classic. I picked it up in a trade for my Ampeg 8x10 bass cabinet, but I don't usually keep expensive guitars, I'm all about the cheapies, so I was able to trade the Gibson for a bunch of pedals, a Squier, and a lot of cash, which bought me another cheap guitar. I really dug the neck on the Gibson though, it was awesome. The clean tones with the P90's weren't great, but I definitely felt like the distorted tones I was getting were very close to being "my sound" which is why I want to try a cheap P90 guitar again.

You're going to love your Gibson classic, trust me :)

Archived