Do you see yourself playing... at 70 years old?

Misha III

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sure. I'm 20 and at no point do I want to stop playing music. I talk to old guys all the time who gave up something they really enjoyed, like playing an instrument, collecting records, fixing up motorbikes, that kind of stuff...and their excuses were always something like "I'm too old for that" when you can tell they still would love to be doing those things but gave it up prematurely. I'm already bitter about a bunch of crap(and I assume there will be a lot more), I don't plan to be bitter about giving up one of my most enjoyed hobbies.

• Members

I'll be 55 in March and plan to retire from the education field when I'm 60. Then my only extra income will come from gigging (Of course, I'll also be making a ton of money from my retirement plan).

On a previous post people were talking about how they want to die.

I always tell people that I plan on dropping dead on stage while I'm duck-walking during the lead solo in "Johnny B. Good" when I'm 93.

• Members

Heck, I'm 66 and will be 67 next month. So what. The thing to do is resist adulthood like I have my whole life. Try to get some regular exercise ( I play golf), eat healthier, take yer vitamins, and remember that excess of anything is excess, except perhaps guitar playing!

Age is just a number.

• Members
Heck, I'm 66 and will be 67 next month. So what. The thing to do is resist adulthood like I have my whole life. Try to get some regular exercise ( I play golf), eat healthier, take yer vitamins, and remember that excess of anything is excess, except perhaps guitar playing!

Age is just a number.

That's the way I see it as well.:thu:

Dig that pic of you and Hubert, Black Cat!!!:cool:

• Members

I do it all the time. The tiled bathroom makes a nice acoustic reverb.
:thu:

"I'm sorry, sir, you can't sell that guitar on Ebay. It's been flagged"

(George Costanza reference):freak:

Yeah, I hope to be playing at 70 (I'm 49). The two guys I regularly jam with are ten years older and ten years younger than me (a sixties rocker and an 80's hair band guy) and it's fun to learn from each other. Another guy I play with is in his mid-twenties, and I always pick up something new.

Why would I stop?:confused:

• Members

Rock & roll is part of the deal for me. I imagine myself strapped in a wheelchair in a nursing home, waiting patienly for my "guitar therapy" session. The aid will bring me an electric guitar, with a wireless connection. The aid will place a smallish tube amp on the floor in the therapy room, which will be soundproof.

I will grab the guitar in my frail, shaking arms and look off into the distance, hugging it to my body. The aid will adjust the controls on the amp and on the guitar, as dictated by her activity sheet. The aid will wait, checking her sheet to see how long she's supposed to allow me to sit with the guitar.

And I will begin, the riff that starts "Summertime Blues." Chunka chun-ka, and so forth. I will hear the crowds and smell the summer sun. I will smell pot smoke and beer. I will have a lot of fun, playing. The aid will be surprised, to put it mildly.

• Members

yes

even when i cant bend me fingers due to severe arthritis...

and me mind is riddled wiv Alzheimers

i would still DEMAND a slide be fitted to a finger (any finger .. i am not fussy :p) on my left hand ... and a pick be GLUED to me right thumb

and i would still be bashing away at the thing even when i can hardly hear it due to 90% deafness which i would expect to be overcome by at a senior age... a little younger if all you've been playing have been Marsxhalls all your life :p

runn3r

• Members

Wow! Lots of answers! I Hope I'll still be able to play too! I'll still try for sure! :thu:

Rock & roll is part of the deal for me. I imagine myself strapped in a wheelchair in a nursing home, waiting patienly for my "guitar therapy" session. The aid will bring me an electric guitar, with a wireless connection. The aid will place a smallish tube amp on the floor in the therapy room, which will be soundproof.

I will grab the guitar in my frail, shaking arms and look off into the distance, hugging it to my body. The aid will adjust the controls on the amp and on the guitar, as dictated by her activity sheet. The aid will wait, checking her sheet to see how long she's supposed to allow me to sit with the guitar.

And I will begin, the riff that starts "Summertime Blues." Chunka chun-ka, and so forth. I will hear the crowds and smell the summer sun. I will smell pot smoke and beer. I will have a lot of fun, playing. The aid will be surprised, to put it mildly.

If I need it, I want to be at the same nursing home! Maybe we should open a nursing home for musicians? :idea:

• Members

Dude, you need to write lyrics or conceptual comedy- You're good.:thu:

Archived