Mitch G's got a new guitar

Robman2

• Members

Not too often but some of us bump into professional friends now and then and Mitch Gallagher (and his lovely wife ) aside from being one of Craig's audio luminary contemporaries, is a top tier classical guitarist by training and they have invested in a beautiful new instrument.

I had the privledge of visting their home last week, on a tactical new product mission and was welcomed as a stranger by Mitch and Felicia.

I don't even remember the name of the guitar builder sorry but WOW, it sounds incredible.

Congratulations Mr and Mrs. G on the newest addition to the family of instruments and the hot sauce collection isn't bad either.

Rob Manning

Originally posted by Anderton

Mitch is the best. It's encouraging so many people recognize that
:)

+1,000 MG is a class act all the way.
:thu:

Did you know he won a Grammy? He won't tell you, so it's up to me!

Actually, I did know that... but like Rob, I also had to get it from a source other than Mitch.
:)

Congrats on the new axe Mitch.
:thu:

• Members

Craig...the mod-ification of Felicia's name is appreciated.

I just called Mitch and verifed that indeed my hearing is not what it used to be.

Thanks!!

He got the Grammy for a piece he wrote in Grad school, using Fibbinachi number system and samples, synths etc.

• Members

He played a part of it for me years ago...It as beyond me, but oddly, I did some Fibonacci number stuff when petro brokering, but I have forgotten damn near everything I used for technical analysis and have no recollection of WHAT Mitch did...I do remember it had something to do with algorithmic composition...

Neat Fibonacci site..

http://www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fib.html

Mitch, let us hear it via MP3??:)

• Members

Welllll...gee whiz, thanks for the kind comments. I had to check with my wife and make sure I hadn't DIED or something (...remember Mitch, he was the best...)

The guitar was built by Eric Monrad -- he's amazingly talented. I went to Guitars International in Cleveland, and played around 15 different hand-made instruments, but when Armin Kelly got the Monrad out, I played one short passage, looked at my wife, and we both knew it was the one. We tried a few others just to be sure, but it was clear from the first second I played it. Definitely the best classical guitar I've ever played in my life.

As for the Fibonacci piece, it was't algorithmic, though I used some serial composition techniques. (Hi, Dean!) I came up with a way to apply the number series to the intervals between pitches, and interestingly enough, the row that resulted repeated every 24 iterations. So that became the "scale" I used to compose the piece. It was scored for percussion ensemble (piano, orchestral bass drum, 2 snare drums, 2 marimbas, various hand percussion) performing along with MIDI-driven synths -- a TX816 and a D-110.

It was performed by the UMKC Percussion Ensemble at a new music concert in Kansas City (where I was in grad school studying music composition and working at Big Dude's Music City at the time). A recording of the performance won the NARAS "Best New Music/New Classical" category.

I later composed two companion pieces using the same tone row. The second used sounds derived from a single tympani hit, plus a Matrix 6R pad. The third was based entirely on mutated samples I took of plastic and metal pipes I found in my dad's plumbing shop.

The coolest thing that resulted from all that (aside from the award being an interesting addition to the resume) was an invitation to lecture and have my music performed at the International Computer Arts Festival in Sophia, Bulgaria.

I'll see what I can do about getting some MP3s if you're really interested. (As long as nobody says, "That would be great music for a science fiction movie!") I keep planning to get my website going and post some of that stuff there...maybe this will motivate me to find the time.

Thanks again for your kind words.

YOU guys are the best.

Mitch

------

www.mitchgallagher.com

• Members

When you played the Fibonacci piece for me I said,"That would be great music for a science fiction movie!" What is wrong with thinking that and what were you really thinking when I gave that opinion? You have until supper time tonight to explain.

Felicia

• Members

Originally posted by londonfe

When you played the Fibonacci piece for me I said,"That would be great music for a science fiction movie!" What is wrong with thinking that and what were you really thinking when I gave that opinion? You have until supper time tonight to explain.

Felicia

Nobody else can say it because you've ALREADY said it.....

• Members

Originally posted by MitchG

Welllll...gee whiz, thanks for the kind comments. I had to check with my wife and make sure I hadn't DIED or something (
...remember Mitch, he was the best...
)

As for the Fibonacci piece, it was't algorithmic, though I used some serial composition techniques. (Hi, Dean!)

YOU guys are the best.

Mitch

------

www.mitchgallagher.com

Cereal,oatmeal, Al Gore on percussion..I get them all confused!

• Members

Originally posted by Robman2

a top tier classical guitarist by training and they have invested in a beautiful new instrument.

funny story. my cousin, who is 15 years older than me, so we were never very close, is a heavy-duty acoustic guitar player (chet atkins did his liner notes, cover of FRETS magazine, etc)...

anyhoo, he wins some kind of big award (i was too young to remember exactly what it was) and he gets presented with this amazing, handmade one-of-a-kind classical guitar worth a small fortune.

so, after the awards, he and his friends are up late celebrating and playing music in his tiny apartment. well, he must have put the new guitar down lying next to the bed when he fell asleep and forgot about it.

next morning...

wakes up. hops off the bed... both bare feet crash right through the guitar. end of story! oops.

• Members

Originally posted by d. gauss

...my cousin, who is 15 years older than me, so we were never very close, is a heavy-duty acoustic guitar player (chet atkins did his liner notes, cover of FRETS magazine, etc)...

Any chance you'll tell us who your cousin is?

Hey Rob. I'm in a production of Fiddler On The Roof next week. Any chance it'll be that soon? :D;)

Archived