baja or american tele

johnboy8

• Members

The Bajas aren't a bad deal new, but used they are a phenomenal value. If you can live with the limited color choices, they are AWESOME. You figure the hardware and woods are pretty much the same as an American Tele, just assembled across the road, plus you get Custom Shop pickups (the bridge may be the BEST Tele pickup), and that AMAZING chunky neck. After I trade for an SRV Strat, I may want to pick up a Baja myself.

• Members

I've owned an MIA Tele and I've played a Baja. IMO, the American is still "better," but the Baja is, hands-down, the absolute next best thing, especially if you want a 3-barrel bridge. It's the same with the Classic Player's series of 60s and 70s Strats - they feel great, they look great, and they play great -and they're virtually indiscernable from the US-made versions. If you're unable to pony up the $1000 for a MIA, I would choose these MIM guitars over the Highway One series any day.

• Members

are the baja's a bit of a gimmick or are they a good guitar.i want to treat myself and get a tele(i play a deluxe strat hss)at the moment and am looking for a change.thanks.(or are the mexican ones any good)

Tele's have a pretty simple design (imo). The key to a major part of the tone is that Tele bridge and bridge pup design. If it were me I would take my budget and start hitting the stores. Play em' all new and used and then pick the best of the bunch.

• Members

For the price range, i'd get the highway 1 tele. nitro finish, american made body and neck, you can haggle the price down to 600-650.

I'd get a used American Tele. I had one and miss it. I believe it has a better neck than any of the non-American models, not sure, and good hardware. I'd then put a Lil 59 in the bridge.

:rawk::rawk::rawk:[

• Members

Only Tele I ever played nicer than a Baja was a $2800 Custom Shop model. It's fantastic-best neck and pickups available on a Tele.

I played one today and ABed it with an MIM. The MIM played surprisingly well, but the Baja felt a little more solid or something, and had alot more tonal range. If you can swing it, go for the Baja. Having the classic 3 saddle bridge is also a big plus.

• Members

I am a huge tele buff.

Here's my list of teles of owned:

Nashville

72 custom

59 esquire ri

52 ri

'Tc-90'

And I've recorded with an original 57 blackguard and a higwayone.

The baja is the guitar! Not just 'for the money', but over all tone/playability/quality. I always find myself playing it at guitar stores, and I just convinced my buddy to buy one for a band we've joined[myspace.com/linden]

I can't really grasp onto the highway one models that much, its missing the essential brass saddles. Plus it doesn't have custom shop pickups or s-1 switching, which I've never toyed with, but hey, more tone options are always good!

For the 72:

The pickups are weak and the bridge/saddles always felt a little strange.

• Members

Anyone know what I should do to make my Baja Tele switch work like it should (push down for out of phase)? The button came wired reverse from the factory and I'd like to try and make it run like it should.

EDIT: I just opened the thing and all the wires seem to be in the same places as in the Fender wiring diagram... Mysterious.

EDIT2: Ok, I lied. Wires coming from the neck pickup were reversed... Now the thing works like a charm. :thu:

Archived