Used Guitars

slodge

• Members

I live in northern New Jersey. I have a very limited budget, yet I suffer big time from GAS. I Love playing different guitars.

Is there a good source for used guitars? Not vintage, but more something along the lines of 2-5 year old MIM's or Epis. That sort of thing.

I've used Ebay, but outside of the problem of buying a guitar sight unseen, there's also the fact that the shipping costs usually change it from a good deal to a mediocre deal. That costs wouldn't matter so much if we were talking about a $1000 instrument, but at $150 it changes things quite a bit.

Maybe it's just a fantasy, but I dream of wandering through a place where reasonably priced used guitars and amps line the walls, and where the stock is constantly changing.

• Members

is there a guitar center in the area?

you can go online and see exactly what used guitars they have at your particular store with pics, and then head in and play if you find any that suit your fancy.

There's four in the area that I'm in and out of frequently. They occasionally have some interesting amps, and a few US Fenders and Gibsons, but seem a bit light on the cheaper stuff. I'll try the online thing, though.

• Members

You can also find them in pawns, but prepared to check regularly without finding anything, and to strike while the iron is hot if and when you do find something.

Also, if there's a local music scene website that has a musicians' classifieds section, I've found some great deals on used gear that way.

• Members

I live in northern New Jersey. I have a very limited budget, yet I suffer big time from GAS. I Love playing different guitars.

Is there a good source for used guitars? Not vintage, but more something along the lines of 2-5 year old MIM's or Epis. That sort of thing.

I've used Ebay, but outside of the problem of buying a guitar sight unseen, there's also the fact that the shipping costs usually change it from a good deal to a mediocre deal. That costs wouldn't matter so much if we were talking about a $1000 instrument, but at $150 it changes things quite a bit.

Maybe it's just a fantasy, but I dream of wandering through a place where reasonably priced used guitars and amps line the walls, and where the stock is constantly changing.

Out of my 40 or so guitars, probably 25 or more were bought used, many on Ebay. $25-30 shipping isn't much when you get either a guitar you wouldn't have found elsewhere or a killer deal on one compared to locally. And on a $300 guitar where I live the tax would be about $19 from a store.

• Members

Out of my 40 or so guitars, probably 25 or more were bought used, many on Ebay. $25-30 shipping isn't much when you get either a guitar you wouldn't have found elsewhere or a killer deal on one compared to locally. And on a $300 guitar where I live the tax would be about $19 from a store.

ebay has been very good to me. It just breaks my heart when a guitar that's a nobrainer becomes a "think about it" because of shipping costs. Like I said originally, the difference between $500 and $530 is nowhere near as huge as the difference between $90 and $120 in terms of budget constraints. One is an impulse purchase, the other isn't.

• Members

I'm a relative newbie, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have had very good luck with http://www.musicgoround.com. I've gotten a PRS SE standard ($300 + $20 shipping) and a Roland Cube 30 (forget the price, but it was a good deal), both in great shape, friendly people on the phone at the other end, arrived quickly.

(I also have a cheap acoustic Yamaha I got from the local GC, and a Fender Champ that I've been rebuilding for fun.)

My experience with selling on craigslist has been that it's all tire kickers who don't show up -- sellers are often very happy to see a real buyer with real interest, so there may be an opportunity there to get a bargain.

- Dogfish

• Members

i know the thread title is used guitars however, if your in northern nj and need a cheap good guitar you can head over to the rondo store in elizabeth (im not sure if its really in elizabeth, i just know that when i went to hellfest there a couple years ago i passed by it a bunch of times, and that was in elizabeth, so its either in it or near it) www.rondomusic.net

• Members

i know the thread title is used guitars however, if your in northern nj and need a cheap good guitar you can head over to the rondo store in elizabeth (im not sure if its really in elizabeth, i just know that when i went to hellfest there a couple years ago i passed by it a bunch of times, and that was in elizabeth, so its either in it or near it)
www.rondomusic.net

Unfortunately,Rondo has relocated New Hampshire. The good news is, is that you could get some really good instrumens from them on line.

• Members

Northern New Jersey. You know who has aGOOD selection of USED gear in the New England area DADDYS JUNKIE MUSIC. I don't know how far you are from one. But I'm in CT and there are THREE by me. Their new stuff is nothing to write home about but they do seem to carry a lot of used.

Guitar center I've seen some good deals on Used also!

Archived