If $199 Agiles are so good, what about this one?

Jkater

• Members

That guitar does look good and the spec's are certainly close to that $$$ range IMO.

But its kinda like Squire offering their Top o the Line constructed model with USA Fender Equivalent parts IMO.

Youre taking a $300-350 LP copy and putting $200 worth of upgrades and charging $700.

Seems like Agile not only likes Gibson and Fender but their pricing as well. Yikes.

Nice guitar though.

• Members

I guess resale value means a lot to some of you. Personally I never resell anything, so it means jack {censored} to me.

This was discussed to death about 4 months ago. It's a nice guitar with great spec and hardware. We all did the math back then and it seemed to work out in the favor of the customer.

That is, unless you buy guitars to resell them as opposed to playing them.

• Members

I guess resale value means a lot to some of you. Personally I never resell anything, so it means jack {censored} to me.

This was discussed to death about 4 months ago. It's a nice guitar with great spec and hardware. We all did the math back then and it seemed to work out in the favor of the customer.

That is, unless you buy guitars to resell them as opposed to playing them.

Links?

• Members

I really don't like all that over the top abalone inlays and binding. And that's something that you're paying for that doesn't bring much tone for the buck.

Spec wise it comes out pretty nice...I guess the real question is whether the quality is good enough to compete at this price.

• Members

That guitar does look good and the spec's are certainly close to that $$$ range IMO.

But its kinda like Squire offering their Top o the Line constructed model with USA Fender Equivalent parts IMO.

Youre taking a $300-350 LP copy and putting $200 worth of upgrades and charging $700.

Seems like Agile not only likes Gibson and Fender but their pricing as well. Yikes.

Nice guitar though.

specifically, its a $450 agile (3000m plaintop) with SD pickups and a fancier grade top. you pay alot more than $250 extra to get that on a gibson over the standard models. guitars like edwards, which the agile will no doubt be compared to shortly, use veneer tops and cost a little more. so, if the 4000 your style, its worth the cash. i think its tacky myself, which is why i bought the plaintop. if your worried about resale... you probably arent reading this thread.

these are not comparable in any way to the $200 algiles. i think the only similarity is the grover tuners and the shape. the frets are hand dressed on the 3000 and up, and were perfect and polished on mine. the frets on my 2000 are machine dressed, though they were pretty good out of the box as well.

• Members

Links?

Honestly I didn't try too hard, so I didn't find the specific threads where the cost/benefit ratio were discussed ad nauseum but I found one from a couple of months ago with a review for the quilt version of that guitar:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1753981&highlight=agile+duncan+%24699

thought this might be useful to you.

• Moderators

I really don't like all that over the top abalone inlays and binding. And that's something that you're paying for that doesn't bring much tone for the buck.

Spec wise it comes out pretty nice...I guess the real question is whether the quality is good enough to compete at this price.

You make a good point as always Bro, for me the "top of the range" Agiles are like MILFs who dress in a load of gaudy {censored} and try and make themselves look summat they're not, the adornments are blingy, uncoordinated, out of place and tasteless. They typify some early MIJ guitars, by tring too hard to make the spec list look long and impressive, instead of just concentrating on some key quality features, executed in a simple and tasteful way

• Members

Be interesting to see if it is.

A guy I used to jam a little bit with had an AL-4000 like the one in the pic. The fretwork is absolutely top-notch. Really nice frets, and perfectly level. Not a fan of some of the adornments, but if you want big abalone chunks all over the damn thing and don't care about resale, it'd be the LP clone I'd go for.

• Members

You make a good point as always Bro, for me the "top of the range" Agiles are like MILFs who dress in a load of gaudy {censored} and try and make themselves look summat they're not, the adornments are blingy, uncoordinated, out of place and tasteless. They typify some early MIJ guitars, by tring too hard to make the spec list look long and impressive, instead of just concentrating on some key quality features, executed in a simple and tasteful way

i actually agree, but sadly, customers want this bling. kurt builds these based on what customers demand. there seems to be 2 camps, the ones that want all the fluff, anf the ones that want it all stripped off. im in the second, it seems the majority of guitar buyers are in the first.

• Members

Honestly I didn't try too hard, so I didn't find the specific threads where the cost/benefit ratio were discussed ad nauseum but I found one from a couple of months ago with a review for the quilt version of that guitar:

thought this might be useful to you.

Thanks!

• Members

Just buy one of the 3000-series models with the 3/4" maple top for $400-$450 instead. Or one of the regular 3000 or 3100's for around $370.

The Alnico V's that they use in the upper level models are very nice. My recent AL-3100 Silverburst absolutely rocks.

I saw a used 3100 in Parkway music for $275, IIRC. Looked damn nice, too.

• Members

For that much I would say throw in the extra 100$ and get an Edwards. I like my Agile and for 370 I think it was a good deal, but I'd imagine the AL4000 is close to the same guitar with slight improvements in quality and some SD pickups. An Edwards would be a big improvement in quality and has SD pickups.

Agile is probably better off competing with the MIM Fender/lower end Epiphone stuff in the 100-400$ range. Guitars coming out of the same factory are all going to be within a fairly narrow quality range, really. The same place that kicks out 400$ guitars will not be able to make a guitar for double the price that is worth the added expense.

Now, Agiles coming with GFS Fat PAFs or 59s....match made in heaven. Wouldn't add more than 75$ to the price and should sound heaps better, some people seem to like the stock Alnico Vs but I got a big tone improvement moving to some BG pups.

Archived