crafted in japan vs. made in japan...

Pezman

• Members

electronics is one difference...all my 80s FJs have full size pots and steel switches... production CIJs now have the tiny pots and plastic switches except the top end DiMarzio models. They don`t seem to use sen as a body wood as much, if at all, as they used to. Their early JVs fetch a lot of money these days, used CIJs can be had very cheap in this city.

• Members

made in japan is a legal term. it means the product was made in japan. this is relevant to customs. assembled in japan, and designed in japan also have meanings to customs.

crafted in japan means nothing. a crafted in japan guitar could actually be made in part or in whole somewhere not in japan.

• Members

According to a Fender representative it was in the Fender Japan contract that if there was a change of manufacturer from FujiGen Gakki to another guitar factory then the logo would be changed from MIJ ("Made in Japan") to CIJ ("Crafted in Japan"). The first CIJ Fenders start around 1992 but most of the Japanese Fenders up till 1996/1997 are MIJ Fenders. In 1991/1992 FujiGen Gakki were expanding their factory operations by establishing FujiGen Hirooka Inc ((Japanese) ???????????) to be able to take on additional set neck (Gibson like necks) contracts (such as the Orville by Gibson contract) and so Dyna Gakki (one of Kanda Shokai's main guitar makers) took over some of the making of the Japanese Fender models which resulted in a CIJ logo being used on some Japanese Fenders instead of a MIJ logo. CIJ is mostly used on Fenders from 1996/1997 until recently due to T?kai and Dyna Gakki taking over the Fender Japan manufacturing contract from FujiGen Gakki in 1996/1997. The Fender Squiers were also brought into line to be in sync with the Japanese Fenders at around the same time (1996/1997) with 'Crafted' rather than 'Made' being used. "Made in Japan" is used on some current Fender Japan models (2007) instead of "Crafted in Japan".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Japan

That's probably all there is to it, really.

• Members

???????????) to be able to take on additional set neck (Gibson like necks) contracts (such as the
contract) and so Dyna Gakki (one of Kanda Shokai's main guitar makers) took over some of the making of the Japanese Fender models which resulted in a CIJ logo being used on some Japanese Fenders instead of a MIJ logo. CIJ is mostly used on Fenders from 1996/1997 until recently due to T?kai and Dyna Gakki taking over the Fender Japan manufacturing contract from FujiGen Gakki in 1996/1997. The Fender Squiers were also brought into line to be in sync with the Japanese Fenders at around the same time (1996/1997) with 'Crafted' rather than 'Made' being used. "Made in Japan" is used on some current Fender Japan models (2007) instead of "Crafted in Japan".

That's probably all there is to it, really.

could be...who really knows for sure? there are all kinds of stories on the subject, makes for interesting reading but it always seems to come from non Japanese people...the shop staff here ain`t spilling the beans.

I asked the manager of a local shop who was making FJs now...he said they don`t really want that info to be known...for whatever reason...so I guess a couple and he said three factories are making them now with a fourth building basses. Doesn`t really matter to me as I`m only interested in the old ones nowadays.

• Members

could be...who really knows for sure? there are all kinds of stories on the subject, makes for interesting reading but it always seems to come from non Japanese people...the shop staff here ain`t spilling the beans.

I asked the manager of a local shop who was making FJs now...he said they don`t really want that info to be known...for whatever reason...so I guess a couple and he said three factories are making them now with a fourth building basses. Down`t really matter to me as I`m only interested in the old ones nowadays.

I don't really care who makes them actually. I love my Tele and have a Jaguar on its way. :)

• Members

Gotta add that they are a bit incompetent though. First they sent Ishibashi the wrong color, then one with damage around the headstock and fretboard edges, and last I heard was that no. 3 was supposed to arrive yesterday but didn't come with the shipment :p

• Members

they may be working round the clock...it`s bonus time, Christmas time, a lot of shops are having sales and they`ll closed for New Years...so the factory guys might not be getting much sleep these days. The local Rock Inn has an entire wall of Japanese Fenders...all new. Was in there today and they still had the 2 Ibanez shop order Artists at 50% off...bastards!

The SRV Charlie they just released looks kinda cool but I already have a Bacchus Charlie from a few years ago.

• Members

No sale at Ishibashi.. or maybe there is and I can't read it haha. Yeah, maybe they will be able to send it off on Monday. Can't complain about the service, shops here don't inspect any of the stuff they send out.

There was a Mosrite Johnny Ramone in the used box I was interested in, but luckily they also checked it and found that the neck pocket had cracks so they took pics and asked if I still wanted it. I said no and it didn't reappear in the used box section.

An Artist would be nice! Still want a Tokai LS-135... but I will have to wait for the next batch.

• Members

I always thought that MIJ was for export and CIJ was for the Japanese market. Any truth to that? Seems reasonable.

Nope, here's the neckplate of a Fender HH Jaguar (export model). It's barely visible under the shop logo, but you can see it.

259200306_8.jpg

• Members

not many FJs get exported to the US anymore, over the past few years only a few models were imported. Maybe F/USA wants to limit the import Fenders to MIMs. When FJ was making MIJs they exported some and they export CIJs so theres no relation to that. Every new FJ I`ve seen in this city since the late 90s was CIJ. I`ve seen 80s Ibanez that have CIJ on the back so it`s not like it was a new idea or anything, there must be a reason why they switched but either nobody knows over here or they just don`t care...FJs do not get as much attention in Japan as they do overseas. One reason I can get 80s FJs for so little in the city I`m in...I may be the only guy after them.

my oldest FJ...June 19 1982...neck needed work so I bough another FJ and swapped the neck, of course I kept the original.

forsaleIII194.jpg

forsaleIII189.jpg

forsaleIII063.jpg

forsaleIII105.jpg

Archived