UPS shipping = RIP OFF!

pimphat22

• Members

My neck of the woods UPS is the worst, FedEx on the other hand has never dissapointed, I will never use UPS if I have the choice.

For me the complete opposite is true. I've never had any problem with UPS shipping or receiving.I think you would find there all about the same if you compared them all equally.

FWIW I was under the impression that places like a UPS store will only insure damage if they pack it themselves... you can get buy insurance to cover loss if you pack it but not for damage.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I will echo the sentiment that by tossing out all the evidence, conviction is impossible.

Oh and in the future anyone shipping sold goods should include a note about saving the packaging materials in the event of damage. We've all seen those, right?

{censored}, at this point you could tell him that you DID include such a note and what proof would he have that you didn't? :idea:

Dit deh deuhghghg

carlossingle.jpg

P.S. It seems we get a thread like this every holiday season, and the responses are predictable. I used to work in the shipping game. In spite of what many say, UPS does pay claims when the stuff is packed right. They wouldn't get to where they were if they didn't.

My packing tips: You need a good sturdy shell (i.e. shipping carton, not cereal boxes from costco folks) filled with contents that are capable of immobilizing the contents for the entire journey. Remember those peanuts will settle some, and air bubbles or pillows can pop (especially in non-presurrized cargo holds of airplanes). Also bubble wrap is no match for a dense item such as an amplifier. In the case of delicate items and electronics you do the above twice. Adding additional reinforcements inside is a good idea too. The corner pieces mentioned are awesome if held in place. Just remember the package should be able to withstand a drop from waist height, oh yeah it happens a lot. Don't forget that loose parts (vacuum tubes and whammy bars) should be immobilized too.

One myth is that "they" won't pay a claim if "they" don't pack it. We had a similar policy where I worked, but we told the truth. We would say that "we can not guarantee that insurance claims will be paid for damages to parcels we didn't package". What that meant is we backed up our packaging service with a guarantee that we'd pay the claim if UPS didn't. Our customers would sign the box where we stated this policy too. I don't recall one instance where UPS refused the claim for OUR packing.

*steps off soapbox*

• Members

do you know the serial number or anything of the exact amp you shipped him? it sounds like he just had the same head and bought a mint one from you then blamed it on the shipping so he could keep the mint one and send you back his beat to {censored} head.

• Members

P.S. It seems we get a thread like this every holiday season

Now THIS is most 'interesting' to note.

Has it been almost always a 'UPS vs FedEx' theme?

I would like to hear further thoughts on this as the end result for this thread appears to be moving towards a 'I hate UPS..so i better move to FedEx' type of conclusion.

Also, i am from Aus and dont know at all the delivery systems commonly used in USA espc (inside the country)

Is there STRONG rivalry between these two companies?!

so much so that 'interesting' methods are utilised in 'competing' for market share?

• Members

Sounds shady to me. I've heard of people having a broken widget and then buying another exact one on ebay and then claiming that one was damaged, and then send the seller pics of the original broken one... and of course try to get the carrier to cover the "loss".

I once sold a record by mail and the buyer claimed damage and returned it. Trouble is, he didn't send me the record I sent to him. I marked mine with a secret mark in the space between the grooves and the label (like I do with all records I sell) and he was caught in the switch.

Smart sellers mark everything they sell in some way. I think they even make a special pen that uses an "invisible" ink that can only be seen in a black light or something like that. I just use little secret marks scratched into the item in an area that won't be noticed, or a small red marker dot somewhere. Just enough so that I can identify my own item if I need to.

• Members

I am sorry that you had this trouble.

You should understand, however, that retaining packaging is a standard requirement when submitting damage claims to ANY carrier. It's always been that way. The reason is simple enough: without the packaging, it's impossible to show that the damage was caused by the carrier.

Your buyer's decision to destroy or discard the packaging is what made a damage claim impossible. For that reason, I would require him, at the least, to split the cost of the amp with you. His action made the cost of the amp non-recoverable.

If you had packaging that showed in-transit damage, UPS *might* (I am not a defender of UPS, so I'm not going to claim to know) have cheerfully paid for the amp.

• Members

I hate to be a stick in {censored}, but UPS doesn't seem to give a flying turd about your package, or if you kept the packaging. My package was ran over by UPS and they still refused to pay out the claim. So I took a loss and that was the end of it, because there wasn't that many options left. I then vowed never to do business with UPS again. Interesting to see that some people have had decent experiences with them, perhaps it might have to do with my location.

• Members

How can the buyer bitch and not have pics?

I'd need proof before anything else and I'd be very up front on that part.

UPS usually has someone come out and look at the damage. If the damage was same day why did the buyer toss the packaging? odd

UPS does beat the hell out of packages. More when it says handle with care or fragile, or this side up. Those guys are like beavis and butthead in the warehouse. I had to return a Kurzweil keyboard that was totally f'd with UPS. I demanded Fedex and that box and unit were pristine.

I ordered a rack piece from MF, assumed small box. The box was the size of a guitar and had mucho air pillows and thick paper in it. Shipper= UPS

That was not enough. There was a hole in the center of both boxes and even with that paper crap, the box and rack unit (furman) was dented. WTF? a towmotor fork?? What do they do there? damn

• Members

This sounds like the buyer of the amp is scewed not you. When you insure something and send it, if something is wrong with it when he gets it, he isthe one that files the claim i believe. Sounds like the proof rests with him, and if he got rid of the box, thats not really your problem.

this is why I don't like to ship bug stuff via anyone. too much {censored} can go wrong. Honestly, I think its okay for you to tell this guy to go pound sand.

• Members

When you insure something and send it, if something is wrong with it when he gets it, he isthe one that files the claim i believe.

Nope. The sender has to initiate claims. If UPS thinks there might be a case, they come pick it up and "examine" it. If they determine they are not at fault (I presume this is about 100% of the time), it goes back to the sender.

Last time I received a hammered package I took pictures of the box before opening it (the driver left it on the doorstep) as well as of the damaged item inside and sent it to the sender, who passed it on to UPS, who duly picked up the package, decided they weren't at fault (it was packed by a braindead monkey, I'll give 'em that), and sent it on back.

• Members

This is correct, although it's obvious a seller can't file a claim, not to mention get paid, unless the buyer keeps the packaging and uses some common sense.....

Nope. The sender has to initiate claims. If UPS thinks there might be a case, they come pick it up and "examine" it. If they determine they are not at fault (I presume this is about 100% of the time), it goes back to the sender.

Last time I received a hammered package I took pictures of the box before opening it (the driver left it on the doorstep) as well as of the damaged item inside and sent it to the sender, who passed it on to UPS, who duly picked up the package, decided they weren't at fault (it was packed by a braindead monkey, I'll give 'em that), and sent it on back.

• Members

bah... it's a crate... everyone in the world is better off now that it has been destroyed :)

on a serious note, either the buyer is full of {censored} and trying to pull off a scam or he is an absolute moron (upon seeing knobs broken and whatever he should have stopped and immediately contacted you and ups)

either way, it's not your fault, and even if it was ups's fault, policies are policies, they can't throw their money away to every person who claims they have a problem with their service without the person being able to show any bit of proof

• Members

bah... it's a crate... everyone in the world is better off now that it has been destroyed
:)

:lol::lol: I agree...but it served it purpose for a while.

Wow...this thread went pretty long. I told the buyer that i want to see pics so now i'm waiting for them. I'll post them asap. I agree that he should have known not to toss the packing materials after seeing the damage but to be honest, i have bought and sold alot on evil bay and never knew that the insurance would not be honored if the box was gone. I dont think alot of people are aware of this. Anyway, I just feel like a dick if i take this guys money for a busted amp....I feel like i'd be ripping off and i'm not cool with that ya know? Damn...i'm broke too :cry: Damn! I'll have to just wait and see the pics and take it from there. Thanks for all the replies!

Archived