OK, I hate my texas specials, what do I want??

chiro972

• Members

I bought custom shop texas specials for my tele because I like to play blues, but I don't like them. I guess they are too hot. they sound harsh. I'm not really a chicken picker, so I thought I didn't need that tele twang, but I would like a sweeter tone.

Anyone know what I might want that have nice tone but can get a little gritty? I can't spend too much so Fralins are out. Anything from GFS or BG or any other suggestions?

I guess I need a more vintage tone?? I am really not a tone expert, so maybe my question doesn't make sense. I just know I don't like these Texas specials.

Thanks!

• Members

I'm no fan of the Texas Specials, but before you throw them out entirely, have you tried rolling the volume knob on the guitar down to 6 or 7 or 8? I'd try putting the knob on 7 and playing like that for an entire day. Just do all you can to try to get used to them.

Do you like the sound of the Vintage Noisless pickups in your Deluxe Players, or do you want something more lively and/or more vintage sounding than those?

The next pickups I try will be the Vintage 60s from BG. If I were to go with a set of GFS pickups, I'd go for the '64 Stagger Vintage Grey-Bottom boutique Strat Set or the Premium II Alnico II, Hand Bevelled Strat Set.

• Members

I think a lot of the "harshness" of the texas specials comes from their strong midrangey sound. I have a couple sets in 2 strats, and I was able to dial this out a bit with the amp EQ and guitar tone pot. On these strats I put the tone pots around 4-5, not 10. Makes a big difference. One the amps, I cut the mids down a bit.

• Members

I have had the same problem with the same pickups. I like the Fender vintage noiseless but not the cobalt noiseless. The vintage noiseless has a great open bluesy sound in the neck position. I liked it so well that I put one in the neck position of a strat.

Surfy

• Members

I am using 250K pots. I don't have the stock pickups because I built this from parts. Warmoth neck, ash body with thin maple flame top. Stock Fender USA wiring harness. Three barrel Fender bridge. Oh and cratz, thanks for the input but I'm talking about my tele, not a strat.

For those questions about my vintage noiseless pups, I don't really know if I like them I haven't played it much. The guitar has really bad hum, so the pups don't seem noiseless, but I am assuming there is something else wrong with that one and I just haven't gotten to looking into it.

P1070220.jpg

• Members

I bought a set of those TS tele pups about a year ago before the last huge price hike but haven't installed them in anything yet.

Disappointing to hear you don't like them. I'm probably going to install them in my old Peavey Reactor.

But I also have a Squier Affinity Tele Special and in that one I'm leaning toward the DiMarzio Pre B-1. Please look that one up on their site and in user reviews to see if that might fit your blues needs. That's what I'm thinking it will do for me. Less "chicken picken" more blues/classic rock tone.

• Members

If you want to go cheap, I have a GFS Fatboy bridge PU (went back to the 60s repro) Overwound with shorter leads I can get rid of for cheap, and the matching neck PU is only around $35 shipped.

The neck PU I'm talking about:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/alfaovpotene.html

The bridge I can sell you cheap:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/alfa10kovteb.html

The Fatboy has a nice snappy sound, a little rounder than a typical tele with good bottom end. It really ODs well, and doesn't have quite the same "glass cutting" highs a typical tele bridge PU is known for. I thought that's what I wanted when I bought it, but my strat covers that tone pretty well and I needed something that could be a bit more "ice picky", so I put the original GFS back in. It sounds like exactly what you're after, however.

• Members
I bought a set of those TS tele pups about a year ago before the last huge price hike but haven't installed them in anything yet.

Disappointing to hear you don't like them. I'm probably going to install them in my old Peavey Reactor.

But I also have a Squier Affinity Tele Special and in that one I'm leaning toward the DiMarzio Pre B-1. Please look that one up on their site and in user reviews to see if that might fit your blues needs. That's what I'm thinking it will do for me. Less "chicken picken" more blues/classic rock tone.

GM, check out the GFS Fatboy PUs. They're great for that kind of tone.

• Members

What amp are you playing them through? I have a Billie Joe Armstrong Les Paul Jr. with the stacked H-90 pick up and when I plugged it into my inside the house amp at 10:00pm volume I hated the way it sounded. I swapped the pick up out for a while and but still not much love for the BJA LP. I finally got my shop put together out in the garage away from every one and I pulled out my tube amp from storage, I figured {censored} it lets see what it sounds like through that and I cranked the {censored} out of it, boy did it really come alive then. The amp gave a new lease on the the BJA Les Paul.

• Members

Hey Tweedledee, how come I aint on that good trades list? Didn't we swap guitars? You still playing the Harm? I ended up selling the strat. It was beautiful, I just couldn't bond with the thin neck.

I'll put you on there now! I made that list a few months ago based on the messages I still had in my inbox, so I knew I forgot a bunch of people. Sorry about that one.

The Harm is gone now. I sold it to help pay for something, but I can't remember what it was now. I miss that guitar though. Great tone and a completely unique look. My wife thought it was quite pretty.

• Members

For those questions about my vintage noiseless pups, I don't really know if I like them I haven't played it much. The guitar has really bad hum, so the pups don't seem noiseless, QUOTE]

The vintage have "noiseless" stamped on the PU covers. At least I think that is what is stamped there. They are really a stacked humbucker so the hum is minimal. I think the cobalt noiseless have "cobalt" or "samarian" or something stamped on them. It's been a while since I have had them. The cobalt is rather harsh sounding compared to the vintage noiseless as I had them on the same tele and could compare the two.

For my money, I would put the Fender vintage noiseless in the neck position of any tele and would try one out in the bridge.

Surfy

• Moderators

If you want to go cheap, I have a GFS Fatboy bridge PU (went back to the 60s repro) Overwound with shorter leads I can get rid of for cheap, and the matching neck PU is only around $35 shipped.

The neck PU I'm talking about:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/alfaovpotene.html

The bridge I can sell you cheap:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/alfa10kovteb.html

The Fatboy has a nice snappy sound, a little rounder than a typical tele with good bottom end. It really ODs well, and doesn't have quite the same "glass cutting" highs a typical tele bridge PU is known for. I thought that's what I wanted when I bought it, but my strat covers that tone pretty well and I needed something that could be a bit more "ice picky", so I put the original GFS back in. It sounds like exactly what you're after, however.

To be fair WP, I think the Fatbody is exactly what he doesn't want. He really needs summat like a stock 60s wind

Archived