Man, I gotta say, Gibson makes replacing the minihums in the LP deluxe a challenge...

guitarchaz

• Members

The stock minihums on the LP deluxe are sweet, but what can I say, I like to experiment. So, I take the pickups out and study the mounting. No problem I'm thinking. I can get some replacement rings, some screws for the hardware store, some tubing etc, a new pickup, drill our the mounting holes on it, solder a nut on, etc., and I can do basically the same thing. (For those of you that haven't seen them, the stock pickups and mounting rings are put together permanently as one piece on the deluxe)

Anyway, I order some cream mini rings from from All Parts, and order a mini hum that looks cosmetically identical to the originals from GFS. The GFS is a bit hotter and I suspect darker, so I thought I'd try it in the bridge.

I get the pickup. First concern is if the screws that it comes with fit into the mounting plate on the LP, and , "YES!!", they do.

Next I get the pickup rings delivered. Perfect size !! One problem... All parts "cream" is significantly lighter than Gibson's "cream" on this guitar. I figure, OK, I'll contact Gibson and see if they sell the rings as replacement parts. Sent em an email, so we'll see. Mean time, I have hardware for 2 PUs, and I'm only messing with one, so I'll proceed with the off color ring for now and check out the tone anyway.

Next problem...The ears/tabs on GFS replacement is farther away from the pickup body than the stock one. When I set the pickup into the ring at the same clearance height as the original, I only have a little bit of screw left to get into the mounting plate, and not much room for adjustment.

No problem I''m thinking, I just go to my local old time "has EVERYTHING" hardware store to get a couple of longer screws. Well, they do have EVERYTHING...EXCEPT these friggin pickup screws. #3 maybe ? 4-40 is too large.

So, looks like I'm at least sidelined for the moment. I'm thinking if Gibson can't sell me the exact same color replacement ring, this project is becoming enough hassle that I may leave well enough alone and keep em stock. We'll see. Even if they come through, I've still got to tackle the screw problem. I haven't looked on the web yet. I can probably find those screws somewhere.

I don't think Gibson wanted me to change these dang things !!!

• Members
The stock minihums on the LP deluxe are sweet, but what can I say, I like to experiment. So, I take the pickups out and study the mounting. No problem I'm thinking. I can get some replacement rings, some screws for the hardware store, some tubing etc, a new pickup, drill our the mounting holes on it, solder a nut on, etc., and I can do basically the same thing. (For those of you that haven't seen them, the stock pickups and mounting rings are put together permanently as one piece on the deluxe)

Anyway, I order some cream mini rings from from All Parts, and order a mini hum that looks cosmetically identical to the originals from GFS. The GFS is a bit hotter and I suspect darker, so I thought I'd try it in the bridge.

I get the pickup. First concern is if the screws that it comes with fit into the mounting plate on the LP, and , "YES!!", they do.

Next I get the pickup rings delivered. Perfect size !! One problem... All parts "cream" is significantly lighter than Gibson's "cream" on this guitar. I figure, OK, I'll contact Gibson and see if they sell the rings as replacement parts. Sent em an email, so we'll see. Mean time, I have hardware for 2 PUs, and I'm only messing with one, so I'll proceed with the off color ring for now and check out the tone anyway.

Next problem...The ears/tabs on GFS replacement is farther away from the pickup body than the stock one. When I set the pickup into the ring at the same clearance height as the original, I only have a little bit of screw left to get into the mounting plate, and not much room for adjustment.

No problem I''m thinking, I just go to my local old time "has EVERYTHING" hardware store to get a couple of longer screws. Well, they do have EVERYTHING...EXCEPT these friggin pickup screws. #3 maybe ? 4-40 is too large.

So, looks like I'm at least sidelined for the moment. I'm thinking if Gibson can't sell me the exact same color replacement ring, this project is becoming enough hassle that I may leave well enough alone and keep em stock. We'll see. Even if they come through, I've still got to tackle the screw problem. I haven't looked on the web yet. I can probably find those screws somewhere.

I don't think Gibson wanted me to change these dang things !!!

Just an honest question here, don't tase me, bro.:)
Why would you even want to replace the original PUPs on an LP deluxe w/
GFS? Seriously, aren't stock Gibson PUPs better than $30 GFS?:confused:
If not, it doesn't look good on Gibson. I've used GFS PUPs for replacement
on cheap guitars, but I don't know if I'd want to put $30 GFS PUPs into a
what- $1500-2000, (maybe more?) Guitar. I'm a bit confused here, help me.

• Members

its gibson's way or the highway

Are you also going to tell me that Gibby puts {censored} PUPs in their LP deluxe

and $30 GFS PUPs are better? WTF?!? What exactly are you paying for

when you buy a Gibson? If I Payed $1700 for a gibby Firebird, I'd expect

to hear angels singing, every time I plugged it in! (and I'm a {censored}ing atheist)

• Members

Ideally, I "think" I'd like something a little more round in the bridge, a little fatter and hotter, with less top, more mids, to drive the front of the amp a tad harder. I can get less top with the tone control rolled off, but not more fat and mids. I figure 30 bucks is a cheap experiment. Also, it is my understanding that the antiquities are worn looking, and I want the replacement pup to be new looking like the rest of my guitar. GFS was the only "new" looking 6 screw mini hum I could find that matched the neck pickup. Others were solid firebird looking pickups, or "antique" looking if they had screws (i.e. antiquities).

Since we're on the subject, how do you have your minihims adjusted (ie distance form the strings on low and high E side, on each pickup ? What type of music to you typically play with it ? Thanks for the opinions. Good to hear everyone's perspective.

• Members

if it turns out to be too much of a pain in the ass then I'd suggest you run an EQ pedal between your guitar and amp

that way you can just dial in what you want in the low, mid, and high frequencies

from the desired sound you described, it almost sounds like you're looking for a true humbucker tone rather than the mini-humbucker tone

• Members
What a nice answer to guys basically calling you an idiot. Kudoz on the self control.
:thu:

I wouldn't change them, but it is your thing.

I'm still experimenting with amp settings, pickup height, etc. I am more of a standard humbucker guy I think, but those damn minis in that goldtop were just too pretty to resist. And the tone is by no means bad, just not what I'm used to from a humbucking guitar. Doesn't mean it won't grow on me. I'd really like to hear some adjustment suggestions with respect to pickup height, etc. But if folks find it easier to call me an idiot than be helpful, it's their problem not mine. All smiles here :). I feel I'm safe saying that LOTs of folks change pickups in Les Pauls. You see used Gibson stock humbuckers all over. They are not everyone's cup of tea, even if they are Gibsons. Doesn't mean they're bad, just means folks wanna try something different. At the end of the day, if you find your tone for a cheap price, what's the harm in that ? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks again.

• Members
I'm still experimenting with amp settings, pickup height, etc. I am more of a standard humbucker guy I think, but those damn minis in that goldtop were just too pretty to resist. And the tone is by no means bad, just not what I'm used to from a humbucking guitar. Doesn't mean it won't grow on me. I'd really like to hear some adjustment suggestions with respect to pickup height, etc. But if folks find it easier to call me an idiot than be helpful, it's their problem not mine. All smiles here
:)
. I feel I'm safe saying that LOTs of folks change pickups in Les Pauls. You see used Gibson stock humbuckers all over. They are not everyone's cup of tea, even if they are Gibsons. Doesn't mean they're bad, just means folks wanna try something different. At the end of the day, if you find your tone for a cheap price, what's the harm in that ? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks again.

You got the "idiot" part second-hand. I was merely wondering why you'd
wish to replace expensive gibby PUPs with cheap GFS PUPs. I've only
played one Gibby, it actually had replacement PUPs, but they were some
actual boutique ones. I just wanted to know if the PUP's in your LP deluxe
were deficient in some way. Not everyone here has passable reading
comprehension, you see. It's all good.;)

• Members

I think you should just stick with the mini-hums in there and try to find what they do best.

Don't try to make the guitar sound like it has a full sized HB in there.
I made that mistake when I first started messing around with Strats. Now I know that strats are SUPPOSED to have single coils in them! And that understanding made things much better!

Figure out how to make your deluxe sound unique as it is.

And like I said before, don't be afraid to use an EQ pedal between your guitar and amp, or even a fuzz/distortion box of some sort.

• Members
You got the "idiot" part second-hand. I was merely wondering why you'd

wish to replace expensive gibby PUPs with cheap GFS PUPs. I've only

played one Gibby, it actually had replacement PUPs, but they were some

actual boutique ones. I just wanted to know if the PUP's in your LP deluxe

were deficient in some way. Not everyone here has passable reading

comprehension, you see. It's all good.
;)

NP at all man. Besides, I do actually have a diehard Gibson fan friend here locally that is in fact telling me I'm an idiot for even considering it. :eek: Clarification not necessary, but appreciated nonetheless. All good for sure.

• Members

I think you should just stick with the mini-hums in there and try to find what they do best.

Don't try to make the guitar sound like it has a full sized HB in there.

I made that mistake when I first started messing around with Strats. Now I know that strats are SUPPOSED to have single coils in them! And that understanding made things much better!

Figure out how to make your deluxe sound unique as it is.

And like I said before, don't be afraid to use an EQ pedal between your guitar and amp, or even a fuzz/distortion box of some sort.

A good suggestion on both counts ! Thanks much !

Archived