Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinky" strings (12-56)

dougbeens

• Members

Me and a friend have decided to do a metal/metalcore basement-jam project together tuned to B-standard.... compare maybe to the band Unearth...

So I gutted my Ibanez Artist. Took out my pair of P-94's, the selector switch, and one Vol/Tone pot pair... rewired the whole thing simply with a Duncan JB ---> Vol/Tone ---> output.

Anyway, the strings. I saw them on the rack and they were the right guage I was looking for, so I decided to give them a try. I have yet to intonate my guitar or spend any amp time with the new strings and setup, but basically I wanted to say that the G string (or rather D string now!) at an unwound 24-guage wire, could quite possibly kill a man! It was by far the most stubborn and unpliable guitar string I've ever installed!

• Members

Originally posted by mixedxboy

i've been thinking about trying these or the "beefy slinky" i'm currently using the power slinky (11s)

did you have to file the grooves in the nut at all? any catching or tuning issues?

I've always had a problematic nut, so it's hard to say. Truthfully, I'd be smart to lube the thing up.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I've played a plain .24 G tuned to either dropped B or dropped C for a decade. You sort of get used to it. I used to play 11s in standard E. I'm also a rhythm player who has a heavy right hand, so they hold up well under heavy strumming.

Now that I'm getting older and I play noodly melody solo things with bends, I can definitely see how it could knock the wind out of the sails of someone who wants to do a lot of leads or plays a lot of bends. It takes quite a while to get used to, that's for sure.

Archived