Gary Moore is a kick-ass lead guitarist.

Sir Don

• Members

I think the lack of recognition is due to his lacking abilities as a songwriter - he play incredibly well, but most of his own songs are borderline forgetable (and the lyrics embarassing)

True, but having posted in the guitar forum I think that his lead guitar skills are not recognised.

• Members

True, but having posted in the guitar forum I think that his lead guitar skills are not recognised.

Agreed. I love his playing, and his Lizzy + early Blues albums are benchmark LP tones imho. Still, I think people tend to recognize playing in songs they like (see George Harrison for example).

• Members

True. He is a brilliant guitarist. But he is sort of cheesy. Just me?

He suffers from "white bluesman" disease.

It is the same unfortunate malady that has afflicted many other fine Caucasian guitarists.

Johnny Winter was never infected however. Perhaps his albino gene gave him immunity.

• Members

True. He is a brilliant guitarist. But he is sort of cheesy. Just me?

I like it. Sure it's blues-rock, and selling it as dyed in the wool blues was a bad market strategy, and also the root of much of the GM bashing (imho). But I like it for his energy

• Members

He suffers from "white bluesman" disease.

It is the same unfortunate malady that has afflicted many other fine Caucasian guitarists.

Johnny Winter was never infected however. Perhaps his albino gene gave him immunity.

Clapton is nowhere near as cheesy. Though in saying so, us whiteys do not compare to lightnin' hopkins, bb, the kings, rich, johnson, etc.

• Members

Love his playing but not sure I agree with the recognition thing though. I was under the impression he is regarded as one of the best of the best guitar players. Hell, they were playing his music on Jaguar commercials for crying out loud. He may not be a household name but then again you can probably count the living guitar players that are on one hand.

• Members

I once saw a live concert video of GM with his so-called blues band. In that performance the spotlight was only on GM (you couldn't see the rest of the band) and before EVERY blisteringly fast tasteless solo he'd shout "HERE WE GO"! as if to say "LOOK AT ME"!

If he did that {censored} at a real blues jam he'd be laughed outta the joint...

• Members

"If he did that {censored} at a real blues jam he'd be laughed outta the joint..."

If he were such a bad blues player, then why do most of the blues greats (black and white) constantly play with him on albums and live. B.B King once said that he was the one to take the blues into the 21st century.

• Members
"If he did that {censored} at a real blues jam he'd be laughed outta the joint..."

If he were such a bad blues player, then why do most of the blues greats (black and white) constantly play with him on albums and live. B.B King once said that he was the one to take the blues into the 21st century.

Ummm....for the MONEY? Oh buy the way...BB King has said that about Peter Green, Duane Allman and Eric Clapton...and any or all people who have contributed greatly to his bank account over the years. What do you think he's gonna say?..."These white boys can't play {censored}"? That's what Sonny Boy said when he came back from England after listening to Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck try and play blues...and I tend to agree with him.

Personally no rock star trying to play with old blues musicians is gonna convince me they can play blues...

If I want to hear real white blues players I would rather listen to Bob Margolin or Anson Funderburgh.

You can flame on if you like but you ain't ever gonna convince me...:rolleyes:

• Members

Anyone know what pups Gary uses ... or has used?

I think he's awesome in his modern take on the Blues. That's what it's all about isn't it? He may not be Classic in the sense that B.B King, Albert King, or Freddie King happen to be... but then again... they weren't "Classic" when they broke out onto the Blues Scene either.

It's a long way from Robert Johnson.

Btw, Vivian Campbell has also done some cool {censored} ala Gary Moore. I know... he plays in Def Leppard now... but don't judge him too harshly for that. Check out the old band Riverdogs... or Viv's solo album of Blues Standards ala Gary Moore. Smokin' for sure!!

Cheers to one and all,
BP

• Members
If you haven't heard "Blues for Greeny" (tribute to Peter Green)...you've missed out on a great album.
:thu:
recordings.

Well said. The BBM (Bruce, Baker and Moore) album is also excellent. Right now I'm watching the tribute to Phil Lynott DVD, shame Robbo ain't what he used to be...

Archived