Micro Tilt doesn't make sense to me.

valentsgrif

• Members
I thought they did away with the three screw neck back in the late 70's or early 80's because it was so problematic. The only reason I can think of that they'd still use it would be on re-issues of guitars that originally had that "feature".
:freak:

say what? micro-tilt as it is mentioned in this thread is refering to the feature on some fender necks that allows you to tweak the neck angle at the heel by use of an allen key

DCP_2965.JPG

• Members
You just keep on riding that Harley...errr...I mean playing that Gibson, then.
:thu:

Nah, brow, you gots me wrong, I'm a Fender guy, two USA strats w/o tilt. I do put a premium on tight neck to body contact though.

If your position is that neck slop is ok, then why not slop everywhere else in the chain: bridges, nuts etc.? Just askin cause I'm actually interested in a high end Tele, but it has the Tilt and I again, just don't get it.

• Members

It would seem once all 6 strings are in tune and stay there, "slop" would be non-existant, right? It seems to be sorta relative.

In tune is one thing, resonance may be another. Sort of why trem guitars are understood as less resonant than maybe tele's. Who knows, I'm just trying to reconcile the hype about fixed necks and tight neck pockets and all with having a Tilt device in there.

• Members
...hype....

I gots set neck and bolt neck. I gots Gibson, Gretsch and Fender. IMHO, it's more about how and what you play, your amp and maybe your pups then it is about micro tilt, neck gaps and miniscule differences in vibrational transference.

Now...there is something to solid, semi and full hollow when it comes to tone.....but that's kindofa different discussion. Much better players than I (and I suspect than most on these boards) rave about guitars a lot of folks here would turn their noses up to. I think micro-tilt is a keen idea. All my USA Peavey's have it and most of them it's in use.

Having said that, a lot of playing guitar is psychological. If it makes you feel better to have a certain setup, who am I to argue? Have at it and enjoy the hell out of it.:thu:

• Members
say what? micro-tilt as it is mentioned in this thread is refering to the feature on some fender necks that allows you to tweak the neck angle at the heel by use of an allen key

DCP_2965.JPG

Here's a photo of the three screw micro-tilt neck plate assembly I was referring to. Truely horrible. You just think about bumping or lifting a Strat with one of these and the neck is out of whack.

• Members

MicroTilt and the 3-bolt neck don't actually have anything to do with each other technologically: it's just that they were introduced simultaneously. Neither were actually bad ideas per se: it's just that they arrived when Fender's manufacturing and QC were at their all-time historical low point and both concepts were therefore discredited because the instruments which carried them were so crap, and both ideas were executed so poorly. Fender have now reintroduced the MicroTilt on modern guitars with a regular 4-bolt neck joint.

• Members
I gots set neck and bolt neck. I gots Gibson, Gretsch and Fender. IMHO, it's more about how and what you play, your amp and maybe your pups then it is about micro tilt, neck gaps and miniscule differences in vibrational transference.

Now...there is something to solid, semi and full hollow when it comes to tone.....but that's kindofa different discussion. Much better players than I (and I suspect than most on these boards) rave about guitars a lot of folks here would turn their noses up to. I think micro-tilt is a keen idea. All my USA Peavey's have it and most of them it's in use.

Having said that, a lot of playing guitar is psychological. If it makes you feel better to have a certain setup, who am I to argue? Have at it and enjoy the hell out of it.
:thu:

This has got to be one of the top 5 most sensible posts I've ever read here. :thu:

• Members

Honestly, I don't hear any noticeable difference from using the microtilt adjustment. What I do notice is how easy it is to set up a microtilt equiped guitar.

I've owned two guitars with MicroTilt and they both worked extremely well. People have stuffed things in neck pockets for years to change neck angle and made top 10 recordings that way. I fail to see the impact it would have as long as the sides of the neck pocket fit the neck heal snugly.

• Members

MicroTilt and the 3-bolt neck don't actually have anything to do with each other technologically: it's just that they were introduced simultaneously. Neither were actually bad ideas per se: it's just that they arrived when Fender's manufacturing and QC were at their all-time historical low point and both concepts were therefore discredited because the instruments which carried them were so crap, and both ideas were executed so poorly. Fender have now reintroduced the MicroTilt on modern guitars with a regular 4-bolt neck joint.

Maybe.

All I know is that it's the Achille's heel of my favorite Strat. I can't count the number of times I've had to realign the neck on that Strat.

• Members

Maybe.

All I know is that it's the Achille's heel of my favorite Strat. I can't count the number of times I've had to realign the neck on that Strat.

What age is your Strat?

If it's one of those original 70s models, then the answer is like wot I said: decent idea, badly executed.

I'm sure the modern ones are better.

• Members

What age is your Strat?

If it's one of those original 70s models, then the answer is like wot I said: decent idea, badly executed.

I'm sure the modern ones are better.

The one in the photo is an original 76. I also have a 77 with the same three screw micro-tilt system. I can only hope the reissues are more stable than the originals, especially when gigged. My newer Strats and Teles with four screw plain and micro-tilt plates are completely different animals... stable and solid.

Archived