10 bands better than the Beatles

nhbw

• Members

Originally posted by cooterbrown

How impossible would it be to pick a setlist for that kind of gig from their entire catalog?

My band has actually done all Beatles nights a couple of times (both "plugged" and "unplugged") and it is indeed ridiculously hard trying to decide what to play.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Fab4ever

I'll play:

1. Across the Universe

2. Yesterday

3. Everybody's Got Something To Hide (Except for Me and My Monkey)

4. I'm Looking Through You

5. Something

6. Blackbird

7. Here Comes The Sun

8. Rain

9. Let It Be

10. Hey Jude

Ten unplugged Beatle tunes...hmmm...here's my show:

1. I Feel Fine

2. And I Love Her

3. Strawberry Fields Forever

4. I'll Be Back

5. Revolution

6. Something

7. Dear Prudence

8. We Can Work It Out

9. Nowhere Man

10. Hey Jude

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

My band has actually done all Beatles nights a couple of times (both "plugged" and "unplugged") and it is indeed ridiculously hard trying to decide what to play.

Umm...Lee...let me know if you ever plan to do that again, because I would love to either come see the show, or even better, play with y'all.

Seriously.

• Members

Originally posted by nhbw

To the self anointed Forum Police:

The OP is not a troll (cute little abbreviation by the way). Maybe he has a life outside the world of Internet Forums. The Forum Police remind me of the kid who always volunteered to be the hall monitor in Grade School.

Anyway, I am not a Beatles hater. I Love the Beatles. They were most definitely a cultural phenomenon, and a pretty good band to boot. I just think that any number of bands (given the same set of circumstances) could have been the Beatles. They were in the right place at the right time, and yes, they delivered the goods. I just can't get all goofy and proclaim that popular music would be all that different today had it not been for them. Someone else would have stepped up. The time was ripe!

But the point is moot. It was the Beatles and they win!

By the way, the "Love" circus show in Vegas is pretty great. The music really is the star if you can handle all of that surround sound business. I find it a bit distracting. I couldn't help wondering though, what it would have been like listening to "Close to the Edge" instead of "I Want to Hold Your Hand". I'm sure there would have been a lot fewer people in the audience so once again, The Beatles win.

I Love Music!!!!

nhbw

Couldn't have said it better.

Second most influential artist to emerge around the Beatles' time would probably be Bob Dylan, and he himself has admitted that if he hadn't come along, it would've been somebody else. That doesn't diminish Dylan's accomplishments in any way, or deny the tremendous influence he's had on popular music. And of course, the same holds true for the Beatles.

• Members

Originally posted by shniggens

This always surprises me when I hear this. Especially from fans that grew up with The Beatles.

It's the melody and vocals that sucks you in. Their voices were meant to sing together. We sing harmonies in our band, but unfortunately, the timbre of our combined voices is nowhere near the magical sound that the Fab {censored}ers made.

I think alot of people look at their earlier stuff as too clean or too poppy. Maybe they don't like their square, pre-LSD image (especially people from the 70's generation and younger), but
damn
, those songs are tight.

I agree, you can count me as a HUGE fan of the early stuff. I'm sure I've listened to everything up thru Revolver quite a bit more than everything that came after it, in fact.

• Members

You can lump me in near Lee also. I really dig their early stuff as well as the later stuff. The early stuff is very pleasing on an academic level, for studying how pop and powerpop songs work, and how a real band really works together to make the song.

That, and it just str8 up r0x0rs yer b0x0rz. :thu:

• Members

Wow! This thread has grown some legs!

Originally posted by Ani

If folks were to take a serious look at what was going on in the world of audio and visual technology during that era; they might realize that it was not as much about the
band
as it was the PROCESS and EQUIPMENT utilized.

My dearest Ani, if there were any truth to this statement then it would stand to reason, given the huge leaps we've seen in recording technology and the process of recording, that the quality of music would have only improved since that time .....and we know that ain't the case. It's the writing

Originally posted by Ani

There was a LOT going on in the Music Industry and it's just WRONG for people to give the Beatles credit for starting a music revolution. The revolution was already in full swing and the credit should go to innovative technologies and the masters behind the glass; the engineers that learned how to put the technologies to use.

Well, going back to what I said earlier about the History of Pop Music on XM radio, I can tell you this; music was different before the Beatles. You go through the 50's -after Elvis hit- and into the 60's, the music was lighter, and more silly. Then the Beatles happened and music changed. And it didn't change back. And it still hasn't.

That's what was interesting about listening to every hit pop song from the 1940's in chronological order. I wasn't able to hear it all (it went on 24 hours a day for almost a month!), but I did catch a really good chunk of it, and you could really hear where certain events happened that changed the shape of music. Trust me! The Beatles were a revolution.

Originally posted by Ani

very rarely have I ever failed to reach for the dial when one of their tunes comes on.

Originally posted by chipmcdonald

are you saying you don't think "Let It Be" is a great song? Or "Hey Jude"? "Something"?

I know. I can't account for it either. I'm really not understanding where Ani is coming from. I cannot imagine more finely crafted pop songs. Cripes, "Somthing" could have been a Pink Floyd tune if it had only been in a minor key, for god sakes! :eek:

• Members

Something that's Beatles-related...

I've heard Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" for years. Always liked the song.

But I never really listened to it super carefully.

But the other day, my girlfriend put the song on in on my studio monitors. I'd never really heard the song on decent speakers AND paid attention to the song. I was completely blown away by the whole emotion, vibe, recording, width, and dimension of the song. The guitars, the choir. Wow. I always liked the song, but never realized what a fantastic recording that was.

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

Something that's Beatles-related...

I've heard Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" for years. Always liked the song.

But I never really listened to it super carefully.

But the other day, my girlfriend put the song on in on my studio monitors. I'd never really heard the song on decent speakers AND paid attention to the song. I was completely blown away by the whole emotion, vibe, recording, width, and dimension of the song. The guitars, the choir. Wow. I always liked the song, but never realized what a fantastic recording that was.

The mournful-sounding harmonium and those single autoharp flourishes just make the first part of that song, IMO...very hymn-like.

And yeah, those acoustic guitars sound like they are the size of a house.

The only thing I don't like about the song is the modulation...it wasn't necessary to artificially punch up the song like that...it was fine in it's opening key.

• Members

Originally posted by Super 8

I cannot imagine more finely crafted pop songs.

I can imagine *as* finely crafted: "Bohemian Rhapsody", maybe some Elton John, the Greatest Song Ever Recorded, erm... many others, but who made anywhere *near* as many great songs....?

They cranked them out so effortlessly. One after another; and unlike basically any other "Super Star Pop Act", they all sound unique.

Cripes, "Somthing" could have been a Pink Floyd tune if it had only been in a minor key, for god sakes!
:eek:

There's a number of things that make me think "there went Gilmour or Waters"... "Sun King" comes to mind... it would seem Floyd picked up the gauntlet of an aspect of the Beatles, although I suppose one could argue that each other being on "the scene" at the time there may have a bit a little cross-pollenizing...

Queen, on the other hand, I don't think would have been the same if Freddy Mercury hadn't heard "Because"...

BUT,

I'd like to point out that yeah - the Beatles were obviously thieves in the sense that they tried ideas based on other's material - but made it their own. More importantly, though, what they *added* greatly outweighs the original (for instance, just using a few lines from a James Taylor song for "Something") - and those that have been influenced by them, in some cases have based their entire schickt on just one thing in one song... For instance I'd say a good portion of Queen's harmony style can be summed up in "Because"...

..which doesn't diminish what they did at all, Mercury was a genius and Brian May one of my favorite guitarists... but geez... it's mind boggling how many completely novel themes/arrangements/sounds the Beatles came up with. Maybe there could have been other humans in history that *maybe* could have done the same, but they just weren't in sync with time... or some other such Twilight Zone mystery... but the Beatles did, and it was profound.

/ actually sleepy for a change so I shouldn't be pontificating

Archived