Beyond Mixing? - Bruce and the mastering process?

steveg

• Members

Forumites.....

I am writing a new book. About me and my life in the studio with MJ. In great detail. Techniques, all tech stuff, etc... (Many Photo's, diagrams. drawings and all...)

Right now I am working on the part about Mastering Michael's records. Of course most of it has to do with Mastering with my old pal Bernie Grundman. And Brian Gardner as well.

The albums I am going to cover(In detail) are:

#1-"THE WIZ, THE MOVIE"

#2-"OFF THE WALL"

#3-"E.T. The Extra Terrestrial" (Soundtrack)

#4-"THRILLER"

#5-"VICTORY" - The Jackson's ("State Of Shock!")

#6-"BAD"

#7-"DANGEROUS"

#8-"HIStory"-Volume One

#9-"INVINCIBLE"

What would you like me to talk about? In other words, what questions would YOU like answered?

Bruce

:rolleyes::rolleyes::thu::thu:

• Members

Bruce,

I think you covering what you described is very complete. The only suggestion I would make, if at all possible, is to have a companion listening CD that gives you audio examples. A good example of what I am thinking is a show I saw recently on VH1 about Jimi Hendrix's Electric LadyLand in which Eddie Kramer sits at the console with some of the original musicians, solos tracks, talks about parts, layering etc.

This may not directly apply, but maybe something like an audio CD in which you talk about Billie Jean, for example, and solo certains instruments and then play an excerpt of the mix so we can hear how it all comes together.

Hopefully I am not just dreaming and this IS possible!

thanks

• Members

Bruce there is one question I'd like to be answered,...

Did stuff spontaniously happen in the studio,..
I mean like,..were there any jamsessions recorded with MJ and musicians there? Outtakes that no one except the mighty few know of?

Michael singing Elvis songs with the Band? I know stuff like this happens in every studio. can't imagine that didn't happen wit MJ around. Or did he only sing the songs that were written?

I can't imagine an engineer not hitting record when stuff happens so,. where is that stuff? Is it going to be released? Will you send it to me? :D

• Members

Sounds great, Senor Swedien.

I'd love to read about not only the equipment chosen, but WHY it was chosen, and why you chose to create the sonic spaces that you did to enhance the emotion of the song. In other words, I'd love to know about the creative processes that led you to the choices in microphone choice and position, and why you chose the signal chain that you did, why you chose to pan things to enhance the song, etc. You get the idea. The philosophical and artistic approach married with the technical. I'm always intrigued by why people choose the equipment they do, and what they do to support the song.

Also, any interesting stories about the personalities behind the music, spontaneity in the studio, etc. I am sure that you will discuss your philosophical outlook, your wooden drum stage, your open studio (no walls between the performers and the engineers), and so forth.

• Members

Forumites.....

I am writing a new book. About me and my life in the studio with MJ. In great detail. Techniques, all tech stuff, etc... (Many Photo's, diagrams. drawings and all...)

Right now I am working on the part about Mastering Michael's records. Of course most of it has to do with Mastering with my old pal Bernie Grundman. And Brian Gardner as well.

The albums I am going to cover(In detail) are:

#1-"THE WIZ, THE MOVIE"

#2-"OFF THE WALL"

#3-"E.T. The Extra Terrestrial" (Soundtrack)

#4-"THRILLER"

#5-"VICTORY" - The Jackson's ("State Of Shock!")

#6-"BAD"

#7-"DANGEROUS"

#8-"HIStory"-Volume One

#9-"INVINCIBLE"

What would you like me to talk about? In other words, what questions would YOU like answered?

Bruce

:rolleyes::rolleyes::thu::thu:

One question:

When will the book be available? :)

Archived