Guitars in the Basement OK?

StratoSlacker

• Members

I currently keep my electrics in the basement, where the temp is cool but constant during the winter. Probably about 55-60 degrees. There's no moisture at all (and I hope it stays that way).

Are these conditions OK for my guitars over the long term, or should I be worried about evil things happening to them? I'd like to keep them out of their cases and in stands/hanging on the wall.

For the summer, I was thinking a dehumidifier would be a wise investment as summers in MA get pretty soggy and gross.

• Members

That cold for a long period of time might not be the greatest...but the most worry would be a large raise/drop in temp quickly. Also, you DO want some moisture...otherwise your wood will dry out and warp or crack.

From what I've heard, generally you want to keep the guitar around 70 deg F and the relative humidity around 45% (I don't actually do this myself, as my oil bill is huge as it is...my house is set to 62 during the day when nobody's home, 68 in the evenings and on weekends, and 66 overnight in the winter, and in my guitar room I have a humidifier set to 40% rh (any higher and my windows get moist on the inside :())

• Members

Are electrics as sensitive to humidity changes as acoustics are? I keep my acoustic in its case with a soundhole and clay in-case humidifier and sealed up. I'm hoping that's sufficient as our place gets dry in the winter and we can't really afford to have a humidifier installed on the furnace just yet.

I guess I could go with a portable model....:idk:

• Members

I currently keep my electrics in the basement, where the temp is cool but constant during the winter. Probably about 55-60 degrees. There's no moisture at all (and I hope it stays that way).

Are these conditions OK for my guitars over the long term, or should I be worried about evil things happening to them? I'd like to keep them out of their cases and in stands/hanging on the wall.

For the summer, I was thinking a dehumidifier would be a wise investment as summers in MA get pretty soggy and gross.

no moisture in a basement in MA? i call bull{censored}.

• Members

no moisture in a basement in MA? i call bull{censored}.

my basement's at 30% (I certainly don't keep my guitars down there) right now. In the summer a dehumidifier is a must...but right now it's pretty damn dry...

(I live in MA, just in case anyone couldn't infer that)

• Members

Just put a hygrometer down there. I'll report back when it adjusts. Read 70% upstairs. I'm surprised it was that high.

The Russ, my basement is quite dry and has never had a leak/flood/seepage etc. Wish I could say that about all the places I've lived in. (knocking on wood as I write this)

• Members

So at long last, the hygrometer in my guitar room in the basement reads 70%. I couldn't believe it was this high. Might be due in part to all the crap weather we've been getting lately. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Given 70% humidity, do I need a dehumidifier ASAP or can I wait until the summer?

• Members

So at long last, the hygrometer in my guitar room in the basement reads 70%. I couldn't believe it was this high. Might be due in part to all the crap weather we've been getting lately. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Given 70% humidity, do I need a dehumidifier ASAP or can I wait until the summer?

wait... it read 70% humidity upstairs (where it is heated I presume) and 70% downstairs (where there is no heat)?? That doesn't seem right. 70% seems about right for an unfinished basement, but the air in the heated part of the house should be much drier, especially given how cold it is in the northeast right now.

If you are keeping the guitar in an unfinished basement, you should get a dehumidifer. I keep mine set at 40%. It runs almost all the time in the summer, and not so much in the winter. I think the biggest risk of too much humidity with electrics is rust on the electronics, bridge, frets, etc.

• Members

wonder if maybe the hygrometer is faulty? it rained a lot the past week...

i know it is dry in the house, my skin feels like it is going crack and fall off.

I wouldn't dare hang them in the staircase, they'd get clobbered on a daily basis in my house.

70% sounds pretty high...even through all the rain, my upstairs room with the humidifier didn't get above 50% RH, and my basement was around 50% RH as well (maybe a tad higher...but now it's back down to 40%)

You may want to consider buying a new hygrometer.

Archived