Howdy from Lightspeed Audio Labs

• Members

:)

I completely understand the need to not blurt out all the details. It all sounds really intriguing -- and like I said, I'd love to check it out if you get your public betas to a stage where one can participate from Cali.

Have fun, everybody!

One last thing, though -- with regard to "theoretical numbers":

That 6 ms/1000 miles figure for electrical signal transmission is approximate but based on commonly accepted measurements and rules of thumb based on solid 20th century science. Yes, the Theory of Relativity is a theory -- but it's the best science we've got and it is, on the macro scale, consistenent with real world measurements. And the internet transmission numbers are simply current Internet I real world signal ping r/t times. They're pertinent to the discussion to the extent that your system uses Internet I, assuming it does.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:)

I completely understand the need to not blurt out all the details. It all sounds really intriguing -- and like I said, I'd love to check it out if you get your public betas to a stage where one can participate from Cali.

Have fun, everybody!

One
last
thing, though -- with regard to "theoretical numbers":

That 6 ms/1000 miles figure for electrical signal transmission is approximate but based on commonly accepted measurements and rules of thumb based on solid 20th century science. Yes, the Theory of Relativity is a theory -- but it's the best science we've got and it is, on the macro scale, consistenent with real world measurements. And the internet transmission numbers are simply current Internet I real world signal ping r/t times. They're pertinent to the discussion to the extent that your system uses Internet I, assuming it does.

Didn't mean to sweep your science under the rug - just to say that numbers do not in and of themselves define how compelling the user experience might be. :cool:

• Members

Didn't mean to sweep your science under the rug - just to say that numbers do not in and of themselves define how compelling the user experience might be.
:cool:

No, not a problem at all. I understand.

With regard to user experience my mind is completely open... I can imagine that there might be many ways to have a meaningful, hgihly interactive, productive and fun experience -- even without the repeal of any natural laws. :D;):D

Count me as a potential volunteer should you get to a place where you can use a tester in Cali!

(Oops... that "highly competent" might just be a deal-killer in my case! :D )

• Members

hey, we have test recordings of me singing (with guitar & key players) on the system - your playing can't be any worse than my froggy crooning, trust me!

Where were you and where were the other guys when that was recorded?

Can we listen to those recordings?

• Members

hey, we have test recordings of me singing (with guitar & key players) on the system - your playing can't be any worse than my froggy crooning, trust me!

Anyone who's ever heard my (let's be kind) idiosyncratic rhythm and tempo will wonder what on earth I'm on about talking about a few ms one way or the other. All I can say in my defense is that:

A) I'm painfully aware of my own timing problems. I console myself that I hear timing problems in great players, too. It's just like pitch and harmony. You're never going to hear a real world instrument that is in perfect tune AND even if you did, the harmonic relations are STILL shot to heck by the necessary compromises of the even temperament system. And...

B) my timing is so bad that I need all the help I can get...

;)

• Members

Where were you and where were the other guys when that was recorded? Can we listen to those recordings?

The public beta will be announced soon, and audio samples will be posted, without post processing. As I've mentioned Boosh, can't give all the details just yet, but when we launch and it's great, are you gonna buy me some Hamkas to make good for doubting me? They're my favorite snack food on the planet!

• Members

So is there a distance thing between players? I like the idea, please make sure you post when things are up and running.

Count me in if I could virtual jam from up here in Orillia Canada.

Later

Brian

hey brian;

never heard of orillia canada, where is that exactly?

we absolutely have canada in our plans, just a matter of deciding when to roll out there.

• Members

Hey Jim

I'm about 1.5 hours north of Toronto. 20 minutes from Barrie. A small town of 60k people and lotsa snow.

Had a planned jam session Sat night, but a foot of snow was down by midnight. My buddy lives about a 45 minute drive, would he be in the area distance wise for the online jam?

Thanks Jim, this could be cool.

Later

• Members

Hey Jim

I'm about 1.5 hours north of Toronto. 20 minutes from Barrie. A small town of 60k people and lotsa snow.

Had a planned jam session Sat night, but a foot of snow was down by midnight. My buddy lives about a 45 minute drive, would he be in the area distance wise for the online jam?

Thanks Jim, this could be cool.

Later

We'll be doing our beta soon, and i'll be able to be less "double secret probation" about everything, but the general idea is that with a broadband connection, you'll be able to play with your friend, and other musicians that are much farther away than 45 minutes :thu:

like i said - canada is not part of our initial beta, but when we start rolling, marketing on Harmony Central will probably be a large part of our plan, so you'll hear about it right here first.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hey,

If you really want a great experience for music collaboration over the internet. Check out AUDIOFABRIC.com. I am a studio musician out here in LA and I have to tell you, finding AudioFabric.com has been a godsend. I can now play with my buddies in NY and LA. This site has been around for awhile and they seem to be ahead of the curve with true real time music collaboration. I have tried other collaboration sites and they seem to all come up short. AF is continually updating their service so musicians will have a great experience each and every time. If anyone is out there who is a good singer or drummer go to audiofabric.com and contact me. My user name is jwillar. I would like to audition a vocalist and drummer in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,

J Willyar

• Members

Ah...

Given the limits of the speed of sound over a network, you can collaborate in real-time with only those who are within several hundred network miles of you.

See... now that's what I was talking about (much farther above).

J Willyar,

Have you done much realtime jamming via AF?

Latency seems like it would be a real issue...

I may have to check it out, nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey,

If you really want a great experience for music collaboration over the internet. Check out AUDIOFABRIC.com. I am a studio musician out here in LA and I have to tell you, finding AudioFabric.com has been a godsend. I can now play with my buddies in NY and LA. This site has been around for awhile and they seem to be ahead of the curve with true real time music collaboration. I have tried other collaboration sites and they seem to all come up short. AF is continually updating their service so musicians will have a great experience each and every time. If anyone is out there who is a good singer or drummer go to audiofabric.com and contact me. My user name is jwillar. I would like to audition a vocalist and drummer in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,

J Willyar

curious, for the sake of honest disclosure, are you affiliated in any way with Audio Fabric? you both seem to be located in California.

this is exciting stuff, all the companies in the "space" have their own way of doing things. 2007 is going to be a really groundbreaking year for online music collaboration.

• Members

Looks like it, Jim! I see Justin Frankel's got something up his sleeve, too.

You might just be right about real or near-real time collab/jamming is going to be big.

That said, I can't help but wonder if, once the novelty of real/near-realtime jamming has dimmed a little, if people won't refocus on the collaboration convenience angle.

I recast all of this (in my head) in the context of songwriter's circles/open mic/workshop kind of things...

• Members

Looks like it, Jim! I see Justin Frankel's got something up his sleeve, too.

You might just be right about real or near-real time collab/jamming is going to be big.

That said, I can't help but wonder if, once the novelty of real/near-realtime jamming has dimmed a little, if people won't refocus on the
collaboration convenience
angle.

I recast all of this (in my head) in the context of songwriter's circles/open mic/workshop kind of things...

I totally agree with you here, online jamming is a piece of this, but its only part of it, and not really the most interesting part. It's only fun playing for/with yourselves for a little while.

Eventually, every musician needs......an audience. ;)

Archived