Howdy from Lightspeed Audio Labs

• Members

Frank;

Send us your info at
musicians@lightspeedaudiolabs.com

If you have a myspace page, website, and/or bio, that would be very helpful. Ideally, we'd really like to hear all the musicians beforehand. But send us your info, we may be able to squeeze you in sooner than later!

Jim

Done - by the way, the name's actually Christopher. :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Under 2ms with at least CD quality audio.

I'd like to beam up to the Starship Enterprise, but when it's possible, I probably won't be doing over the web! :thu:

Even an Asio driver is more than 2 ms delay. Sound travels at roughly one foot per ms, which means that at your desired 2ms, your band members better smell pretty good if you want to jam with them in "real time"!

But hey, we can all wish, right?

• Members

Under 2ms with at least CD quality audio.

Don't ask much, do ya booshie? :p

I'd settle for decent monitoring quality, as long as resulting files were high-quality. We stream our stations with a 32k aac+ codec, and they sound really quite good even at that low bit rate!

• Members

Don't ask much, do ya booshie?
:p

I'd settle for
decent
monitoring quality, as long as resulting files were high-quality. We stream our stations with a 32k aac+ codec, and they sound really quite good even at that low bit rate!

Don't forget that with jamming you need two people on each side of the fence.

2ms isn't that much to ask,...player >>>> secondplayer 2ms + secondplayer >>>>> player 2ms = allready 4 ms anything over 4ms gets musicians nervous.

Ask Craig if he'd like to have his Vsti's have a latency of 8ms,.. he'd go nuts.

I bet the gypsy guitarplayers pull their knives also when timing differences like that occur.

• Members

Don't ask much, do ya booshie?
:p

I'd settle for
decent
monitoring quality, as long as resulting files were high-quality. We stream our stations with a 32k aac+ codec, and they sound really quite good even at that low bit rate!

Thank you!

BTW, audio quality will be great - sound quality is a big issue for us, as one of our co-founders (Dr. Quakenbush) helped develop AAC!

For now I can tell you that, but no more :cool:

• Members

I'd like to beam up to the Starship Enterprise, but when it's possible, I probably won't be doing over the web!
:thu:

Even an Asio driver is more than 2 ms delay. Sound travels at roughly one foot per ms, which means that at your desired 2ms, your band members better smell pretty good if you want to jam with them in "real time"!

But hey, we can all wish, right?

Try playing a virtual instrument with 8ms delay,....

I bet you get sick of the latency in 5 minutes.

• Members

,...... forgot this:

I in fact are not interested in playing with other people online but I know a lot of folks are and they get dissapointed time after time.

If you have a solution for them,..Hail to you and Good for them.

Booshy

• Members

Try playing a virtual instrument with 8ms delay,....

I bet you get sick of the latency in 5 minutes.

That's not what he's saying Booshy - I agree that when you hit a chord on your virtual instrument and it sounds 8ms later it's a pain - he's saying that maybe the person you are playing with is 8ms behind you - on stage that's what happens if he is 8 feet away.

• Members

That's not what he's saying Booshy - I agree that when you hit a chord on your virtual instrument and it sounds 8ms later it's a pain - he's saying that maybe the person you are playing with is 8ms behind you - on stage that's what happens if he is 8 feet away.

EXACTLY!!!!!! Thanks!

See, there are no secrets here...well, maybe a few ;)

• Members

I know what he's saying. I allready explained to Jim in a PM why I'm such a pain in the ass.

When it is possible to get close to jamming on stage that's where it gets interesting.

• Members

Well, nothing ventured nothing gained, dude. I'm willing to give it a go & provide the best feedback that I can, in order to make it happen. :) When I was writing reviews of BeOS music software I also gave feedback that helped a few guys shape their software, and even if it ended up being a small corner of history it was still a really cool corner. :D

• Members

Booshie, the difference you feel between 8ms of latency monitoring the playback of your own instrument and 8ms hearing someone elses instrument is a bit different. You'll notice it less if it's someone else's instrument being delayed provided it's under about 40ms.

• Members

The potential here is awesome!

I used to be very skeptical about the concept of "real-time internet jamming," but then I realized that it's silly to argue about it - just wait and see if it ever happens. Now, I'm fairly certain it could be done with low enough latency to make it seem like real-time, like playing on a big stage, as mentioned.

If there's ever going to be any beta testing in the SF Bay Area, I'd be very interested to participate! :thu:

• Members

I'm guessing from the name we're talking about fibreoptics here anyway?

yes, I'm sure your Internet speed will be a factor but considering the net is going to get faster and faster for everyone relatively as more access comes your way, I'm glad to see that someone is working on it. :thu:

• Members

yes, I'm sure your Internet speed will be a factor but considering the net is going to get faster and faster for everyone relatively as more access comes your way, I'm glad to see that someone is working on it.
:thu:

for sure the web is getting faster and thats great, but we work today, on DSL and cable modems.

there are a lot of companies in the space at the moment, but I can promise you, we're doing things very differently than anyone out there, both in terms of technology, and what the experience will be for both musicians and your fans.

• Members

But it probably isn't going to be any 8 ms...

As noted, it takes an analog signal travelling over "straight wire" about 6 ms to go 1000 miles in one direction.

Add in digital conversion and buffering.

And even if the technology is peer-to-peer, that is NOT a direct station to station signal, it's still broken into packets to travel jumb-by-jump over the internet (it simply doesn't have to go to a central server in between, hence the name). There is no such thing as a "direct" signal over the internet.

So on top of the physical signal transmission time, on top of the digital conversion/buffering, you will STILL have packet transmission time, which involves its own delays.

It's a great promise but it's hard to see how it fits into what most of us think of as "realtime." Or even near-realtime.

With regard to realtime playing and large musician spreads -- the reason a small chamber orchestra doesn't need a conductor is because the players can sit close enough that they can hear each other without too much delay.

OTOH, a symphony orchestra -- or in the extreme, a marching band -- needs a visual reference (conductor, drum major) in order to coordinate -- since the delays from front to back and side to side preclude getting timely cues from the "far side" of the orchestra/band.

(BTW, I just pinged my own site server in Arizona (about 400 miles)... r/t average time: 22 ms. I pinged a couple of NYC servers: 94 ms and 102 ms.)

• Members

But it probably isn't going to be any 8 ms...

As noted, it takes an analog signal travelling over "straight wire" about 6 ms to go 1000 miles in one direction.

Add in digital conversion and buffering.

And even if the technology is peer-to-peer, that is NOT a direct station to station signal, it's still broken into packets to travel jumb-by-jump over the internet (it simply doesn't have to go to a central server in between, hence the name). There is no such thing as a "direct" signal over the internet.

So on top of the physical signal transmission time, on top of the digital conversion/buffering, you will STILL have packet transmission time, which involves its own delays.

It's a great promise but it's hard to see how it fits into what most of us think of as "realtime." Or even near-realtime.

With regard to realtime playing and large musician spreads -- the reason a small chamber orchestra doesn't need a conductor is because the players can sit close enough that they can hear each other without too much delay.

OTOH, a symphony orchestra -- or in the extreme, a marching band -- needs a visual reference (conductor, drum major) in order to coordinate -- since the delays from front to back and side to side preclude getting timely cues from the "far side" of the orchestra/band.

(BTW, I just pinged my own site server in Arizona (about 400 miles)... r/t average time: 22 ms. I pinged a couple of NYC servers: 94 ms and 102 ms r/t. Physical distance is a key factor, here, again, due to those unrepealable laws of physics: 6ms per 1000 miles, one way -- and, again, that's for a simple, analog signal.)

[I fully realize about 90% of you think I'm being a colossally compulsive PITA, here. No harm or offense intended. But I am compulsive about this stuff. When someone says something I know just doesn't make any sense, it's like a nail in the side of my head. I'm gonna try to pull it out -- even if it means my brains leak out along with it... :D ]

• Members

If you think you're compulsive about this, you should meet the engineers over here figuring out how to deal with all the stuff you're bringing up!

But I will say (in as intentionally vague a manner as is possible) that focusing only on theoretical numbers, without having any details about the technology or the experience, makes it really hard to "know" what makes sense or not in this case, doesn't it?

We've already started to engage with a couple of folks on the site, and we really appreciate everyone's feedback and curiousity. More to come!

Jim

Archived