Pickup Question / Boo to Gibson Customer Service

Beastly

• Members

Well, ive been hunting a four wire 498t with zebra coils for about a year now with no real luck. I can get them with the adjustable screws in the black bobbin and unfortunately thats it.

Gibson claim they dont make them with the screws in the white bobbin despite its a stock item on a Les Paul Studio Plus http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-LP-Studio-Plus-Electric-Guitar-with-Zebra-Pickups-?sku=518930 and pictured exaclty how i would like it all over the net http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-498T-Alnico-Humbucker?sku=306060

If Anyone has EXACTLY that for sale that would be okay with me :poke:

Otherwise can someone name me some pickups that are similar to a 498t that they recommend?

As much as i love my SG i think im done with Gibson as well. Calling them to try and find out the availability has been completely useless. At first they suggested i call Hank in the pickup dept, at 717-777-77777, and when i asked for an email or 800 number cause i didnt want to call long distance from Canada i was told "you'll get no special treatment from me just cuz yer canadian!" and that there was only one way to get o hold of him. I suggested he just forward my email to Hank which was "impossible" for about 6 minutes, until HE had the idea :idea:

{censored} gibson

/rant

but in case it got lost, this is the crux of the biscuit:

Can someone name me some pickups that are similar to a 498t that they recommend?

:cop:

• Members

because apparently they dont actually exist like that....
the pole peices are in the black.......

i dont get it either, but ive ordered the thing three times, stipulating each time i want the screws in the white, but they say it doesnt exist and that pic is just outdated.

i dont get it either m'man

• Members

Have you looked into used Duncans?. They're a little more true to overwound Gibson tones than say Dimarzio (which are usually smoother), and are readily available everywhere used.

Looking at the description, it almost sounds like a JB, and I'll be damned if you can't find a reverse zebra JB used.

• Members

ive actually never looked into any pickups really, so any recommendations will be checked out. The whole thing started when i thought about coil-tapping, but i do like my 'standard' tone as is as well. so thats the only reason i wanted 498's....but i'll definetly look into those.

Thanks

• Members

I have to say that I have always gotten pretty good responses out of Gibson- they have even suggested some aftermarket suppliers for parts they no longer make, although it was late at night and the service tech said they weren't really supposed to do that. I have called them a lot over the years, always with used stuff, and they have answered my questions and even sent me old wiring diagrams they didn't have online- sorry to hear about your bad experience. Maybe you just hit the guy on a bad day, or maybe I've just been lucky.

• Members

I have to say that I have always gotten pretty good responses out of Gibson- they have even suggested some aftermarket suppliers for parts they no longer make, although it was late at night and the service tech said they weren't really supposed to do that. I have called them a lot over the years, always with used stuff, and they have answered my questions and even sent me old wiring diagrams they didn't have online- sorry to hear about your bad experience. Maybe you just hit the guy on a bad day, or maybe I've just been lucky.

I agree that you got someone on a bad day (not that it should be an excuse for him being an ass). I've never had anything but really good interactions with Gibson folks. In fact, they've sent me a replacement part for free twice (that little one sided nut that screws on to the pickguard bracket on a 335) because it isn't sold on its own in stores. That sucks that you had a bad experience though.

• Members

because apparently they dont actually exist like that....

the pole peices are in the black.......

i dont get it either, but ive ordered the thing three times, stipulating each time i want the screws in the white, but they say it doesnt exist and that pic is just outdated.

i dont get it either m'man

MMmmmm....I have only seen the black side with the adjustable pole pc screws. The pic is most likely wrong.

• Members

yeah. but the pups do exist on the les paul sutdio plus.

word from Hank was that they were made that way through the 90's but switched in 2000. that still doesnt completely explain the 2007 LPS with them in it stock, but yes im beginning to give up.

Is it possible to reverse the bobbins "manually" without doing damage?
again, im a total pickup n00b

• Members

Can someone name me some pickups that are similar to a 498t that they recommend?

Gibsons describes the 498T as:

#1 alnico V magnet

#2 "Hot" output. Looking at the output chart at Gibson I would guesstimate that it is a "med" output humbucker.

#3 emphasis on the mids and highs.

With those stats in mind I think the next step would be to find out what the resistance is. Generally speaking the resistance of a pickup will tell you how bright it is.

Maybe someone can chime in here with a reading.

• Members

OK...I snagged a measurement off an e-bay listing. It came in at 14.7

As far as I know DiMarzio does not make a bridge pup in that range with an alnico magnet.

Duncans JB model has an alnico V mag, clocks in at 16.4 and seemingly EQ's out with have emphasis on the mids and highs.

The Duncan might not be exact but it is (imo) in the range so to speak. They also come with the adjustment screws on the creme side.

Of course you may want to start a new thread and ask how each pup stacks up to one another.

• Members

OK...I snagged a measurement off an e-bay listing. It came in at 14.7

As far as I know DiMarzio does not make a bridge pup in that range with an alnico magnet.

Duncans JB model has an alnico V mag, clocks in at 16.4 and seemingly EQ's out with have emphasis on the mids and highs.

If it is 14.7, then it is in the range of the Duncan Custom family, so a Custom 5 (SH-14) would seem suitable.

Still, a JB has the emphasis on the mids and treble.

• Members
Well, ive been hunting a four wire 498t with zebra coils for about a year now with no real luck. I can get them with the adjustable screws in the black bobbin and unfortunately thats it.

Gibson claim they dont make them with the screws in the white bobbin despite its a stock item on a Les Paul Studio Plus
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-LP-Studio-Plus-Electric-Guitar-with-Zebra-Pickups-?sku=518930
and pictured exaclty how i would like it all over the net
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-498T-Alnico-Humbucker?sku=306060

If Anyone has EXACTLY that for sale that would be okay with me :poke:

Otherwise can someone name me some pickups that are similar to a 498t that they recommend?

As much as i love my SG i think im done with Gibson as well. Calling them to try and find out the availability has been completely useless. At first they suggested i call Hank in the pickup dept, at 717-777-77777, and when i asked for an email or 800 number cause i didnt want to call long distance from Canada i was told "you'll get no special treatment from me just cuz yer canadian!" and that there was only one way to get o hold of him. I suggested he just forward my email to Hank which was "impossible" for about 6 minutes, until HE had the idea
:idea:

{censored} gibson

/rant

The few times I've talked to Gibson CS and techs they were very helpful and courteous.

• Members
If it is 14.7, then it is in the range of the Duncan Custom family, so a Custom 5 (SH-14) would seem suitable.

Still, a JB has the emphasis on the mids and treble.

Mmm......Ya, The Custom "family" did have very close R-readings. What I didn't like about the SH-14 was the EQ chart. They have a very scooped midrange. The SH-5 Duncan Custom had decent specs but a ceramic mag. The Custom Custom SH-11 seemed to have too much mid and treb compared to bass. Plus it has an alnico 2 magnet.

{censored}, :idk: If I really dug the 498T I would sacrifice the Zebra cosmetics for tone.:)

Archived