• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just so long as it wasn't WMD.
:eek:

;)

Best,

Geoff

In early 2004 I was talking with a pal about his recording rig on the phone and we were talking about ASIO vs WDM and WDM/KS and I slipped in my speech and said "WMD"... there was an immediate click on the line and the amplitude level of my friend's voice dropped a significant amount. (He was on a landline phone.)

Back in the 70s, one of my pals (who is now a big city prosecutor) was then a wild eyed communist (ah, those funny life paths) and he was talking on the phone with one his "brothers" in his "cell" (Communist Party Marxist Leninist, once not-quite-famous for their summer camps where they mixed M-L theory with softball) -- the other guy was also a recent law school grad from a well to do family -- and, during the conversation he heard the usual ticks and level drops on the phone he'd been used to since joining the CPML. Nothing new, there.

But, when he hung up the phone, he immediately picked it back up again to call his GF (also in the CPML, coincidentally :D ) and heard the tail end of his previous conversation playing back.

Many members of my extended family have worked for AT&T and various phone companies. I was once discussing the figure of a million legal wiretaps a year (at the time back in the '80s) and a recent big city scandal where a local "Bell" company had been performing illegal wiretaps regularly for decades as a "favor" to the local police.

My relative, who had gone to work for one of the Bell subsidiaries right after he returned from WWII said, oh yeah. You don't even have ANY idea how many illegal wiretaps local telcos perform for police and... lots of folks in government.

Am I off-topic here? Isn't this the thread on the latest wiretap technology...?

:D

• Members

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid

Eeep. I should look before I hit the submit button.

I meant WDM, not WME.

Just so long as it wasn't WMD. :eek:

;)

Best,

Geoff

That reminds me, I need to review our agencies list of restricted acronyms and abbreviations before our JCAHO review. :cool:

Robert

• Members

More from Cakewalk:

Additionally, Vista now takes advantage of the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) on video cards for many graphics oriented functions. This can translate into saved CPU cycles and smoother audio when you have many graphics intensive plug-ins loaded. By offloading drawing functions to the GPU, you have more CPU resources left for your audio.

I think this is misleading.

Afaik there is no plug-in architecture in Vista that will allow a plug-in to access the GPU. All "graphics intensive plug-ins" use the CPU for DSP.

That offload it to the GPU stuff was the dream of DirectX 9. It

• Members

"WDDM's current version 1.0 is able to offload rudimentary tasks to the GPU. The next version is going to require an entirely new generation of GPUs, which nVidia and ATI are working on. Direct3D 10, developed in conjunction with major display driver manufacturers, is a new architecture with more advanced shader support, and allows the graphics processing unit to render more complex scenes without assistance from the CPU. It features improved load balancing between CPU and GPU and also optimizes data transfer between them."

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/articles/447226.aspx

its more about gaming [and video rendering] than anything. the initial release from what i understand is to combat system crashes of a rate of 89% of all crashes happen because of GPU resources [thats VERY badly put together, but ill have to find the reference later when i dont have a 1yo on my lap]... basically it makes the OS mroe stable initially. i doubt its for plugins graphical interfaces. i think maya and such will see more reason than DAWs.

• Members
More from Cakewalk:

Additionally, Vista now takes advantage of the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) on video cards for many graphics oriented functions. This can translate into saved CPU cycles and smoother audio when you have many graphics intensive plug-ins loaded. By offloading drawing functions to the GPU, you have more CPU resources left for your audio.

• Members

like i said before, 3D apps will benefit im sure. im sure some 2D video apps will for real time rendering... centrino? man, i have booted 386's in windows 3.1 and amazed how fast it was "back then".... as processors get faster, OS's get more bloated. it's a simple fact of it. everyone wants a piece of the processing power.

i dont know why cakewalk cited it... it doesnt seem to me like they will benefit from it, but maybe they know something i dont... or its marketing BS.

im running a pretty fast {censored}ing machine... it handles Vista WELL. i also run an old P4, it handles vista decent... the video card gets a 1.0 on their rating pulling the whole machine down.... still functions though, not as nice as the fast one but does.

what this means to the audio world... dunno. there are a few things im looking at like vst3 on top of it all. pure 64bit too [latency]. i know i will benefit from the extra RAM, i already kill 2GB in XPpro with VSTi's. moving to "4GB" soon. i can see how well AE renders, and premiere works.... if vista offloads the graphics in a more balanced fashion... then im all for it, dont have to worry about those tweaks to the OS. like i said, im testing it out now.... will see how well it holds together.

• Members

Microsoft Ships DirectX 6.1

Latest Upgrade to Windows Operating Systems' Services for Multimedia Introduces DirectMusic, a Revolutionary Technology for Music Production and Performance

By providing an architecture for creating and delivering music that is dynamic and nonlinear, DirectMusic adds a new dimension of excitement to games and interactive titles. Cakewalk looks forward to supporting developers and composers using DirectMusic in future versions of our music and sound content creation tools.
DirectMusic makes Windows an even better platform for audio and music professionals

- Greg Hendershott

Chairman and Chief Technology Officer

Cakewalk Music Software

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/1999/feb99/direct61pr.mspx

It did not.

DirectMusic

• Members

Some audio software still glitches when you chang something on the screen while recording. Maybe they think this will help that problem.

Robert

I've run into that problem several times in the past, and each time, updated graphics card drivers were the solution.

Archived