Please leave the classics alone, don't hurt them, let the pros do the job!

audioicon

• Members

I remember when CD's first came out. My brother is a home audio nut. He's got some old Mcintosh gear. But he said right away he didn't like CD's.

The first Sony CD players sounded REALLY, REALLY AWFUL.

I was studying recording in school at the time when the first players came out and -- beng a longtime gear nut and someone who went out and bought Ry Cooder's "Purple Valley" album (first digital something or other; I just looked it up and I already forgot) -- I was really excited.

I went to a party given by my old landlord.

He had a $1200 (in big ol' 1982 dollars!) Sony CD player and -- honest to gosh it sounded SO BAD we had to leave early (it was also up really loud, just compounding the auditory insult).

It wasn't until about 1984 that I started hearing som e CD players that sounded OK. I bought one that year, a Magnavox unit with analog filters that I still have. (UNLIKE the nearly $500 Sony cassette deck I bought the same year, which was all but unusable as anything but a tape winder by the end of its second year. Sorry. I digress.)

But back to remastering... I couldn't agree more.

For every relatively subtle remastering that simply brings out a little more contemporary tonal blend there are 15 or 20 where the remastering "engineer" tries to get "creative" or indulges some idiot-suit's lust for competitive loundness.

• Members

The first Sony CD players sounded REALLY, REALLY AWFUL.

I was studying recording in school at the time when the first players came out and -- beng a longtime gear nut and someone who went out and bought Ry Cooder's "Purple Valley" album (first digital something or other; I just looked it up and I already forgot) -- I was really excited.

That's one album I want to dig out when I get my turntable back in the system.

I love that old Ledbelly song, I think it was called "Almost Gone":

On a Sunday, I was arrested,

On a Monday, I was locked up in de jail...

On a Friday, nobody would go my bail...

Hey, that wasn't the stereo recording Walkman, was it? I had one for years and it really had good live recording ability, at least for what it was at the time. We used to record most of our practices and I'd hang it from a nail in a floor joist at our drummer's old basement.

Archived