Pink Greco Strat...Should I?

StratoSlacker

• Members

I'm sure it's an excellent guitar, and I do dig the color. But I would imagine it has vintage frets and a 7.25 fretboard radius. If you like that neck dimension, then you'd have a very cool, unique guitar.

For me, I've sworn off the 7.25 and vintage frets. Just don't want to fight that battle anymore.

• Members

I'm sure it's an excellent guitar, and I do dig the color. But I would imagine it has vintage frets and a 7.25 fretboard radius. If you like that neck dimension, then you'd have a very cool, unique guitar.

For me, I've sworn off the 7.25 and vintage frets. Just don't want to fight that battle anymore.

Something I know very little about. Can you explain further?

• Members

Something I know very little about. Can you explain further?

7.25 is the fretboard radius, it's a rather curvy radius from one side of the board to the other...Gibsons are in the 9 range I believe and wide flat necks like those on certain Ibanez shredding type guitars are in the 12 range...the larger the number the flatter the radius. Necks with the 7.25 radius are sometimes prone to fretting out when bending strings, though I've never had that problem but then I raise the action to a medium height to offset the fretting out...I love the feel of the vintage 7.25 radius, but really it's just a matter of personal preference.

From Wiki

Starting in late 1979 the Greco Super Real Series were introduced which were high standard replicas of Gibson and Fender models. In 1981/1982 the Greco Mint Collection was introduced which continued the high standard of the Super Real Series. In 1981/1982 Kanda Shokai and Yamano Gakki become part of Fender Japan and Kanda Shokai stopped producing it's own Greco Fender replica models. Since the end of the Greco open book headstock Gibson replicas in the early 1990s, Kanda Shokai have produced various models using the Greco brand name such as the Mirage Series (similar to the Ibanez Iceman), various Gibson copies (not using the open book Gibson headstock design), Violin basses (VB), Zemaitis Guitars and various other models as well.

Some notable guitar players that have used Greco guitars include Ace Frehley who used Greco Les Paul replicas when Kiss were on tour in Japan and Elliot Easton of The Cars.

• Members

shipping isn't an issue as I can pick it up.

the question is, is this a better quality guitar than a new MIA standaard

Hmmmm.......Quality wise I think that they would be evenly matched. Fender is putting out some nicely made gear these past years.

As others have mentioned the Greco will have the vintage spec' neck and frets. Some people do not like them as the action generally has to be higher then the flatter board with bigger frets used today.

The Greco does have a "cool factor" going for it. It looks really cool (imo) and has a nice "vintage vibe" going for it. If the price is no biggy for you then you might just go for it as that guitar with a Gilmour electronics electronics kit would be pretty cool all the way around.

Would teh kit be an easy fit?

• Members

Good rhyme and a good question. Probably wouldn't know until i opened her up. With my luck it would barely not fit and I'd ruin the guitar trying to make it fit.

My guess is the guitar is routed in the traditional S/S/S fashion. Where did Gilmour put the battery on his 57 RI's that he would take on tour with him? The trem cavity?

Archived