What are the differences between Mexican made and American made fenders?

Corduroy

• Members

A lot depends on the model, the "higher end" MIM guitars, like the RI's often get the same hardware as MIA and a polyurethane finish (common on most MIA models), lower end models get Ping hardware and polyester.

• Members

A lot depends on the model, the "higher end" MIM guitars, like the RI's often get the same hardware as MIA and a polyurethane finish (common on most MIA models), lower end models get Ping hardware and polyester.

not to hijack the thread- i thought polyester and polyurethane were the same type of finish?

• Members

Mine doesn't.. It's clearly 5 pieces on the back. The front is a veneer, of course, but they made no effort to hide the multiple body pieces.

Yours doesn't look like a standard.;)

My 2002 standard is a veneer on both sides, but according to Imarock they don't do that anymore. I guess I gotta keep up with the yearly model changes.

• Members

Here ya go....it seems they aren't laminating the bodies as I thought, but could've sworn I'd seen something about 'Laminating' earlier on.

MIM fenders have gotten consistently better over the past 10 years. they started out as plywood and eventually moved to 7 piece bodies. then 5 piece bodies. now they're 3 to 5 piece bodies. my MIM 50s Classic Tele is 3 very large pieces with a very small 4th piece near the output jack.

honestly, it could be made out of 12 pieces of wood. the defining factor of a guitar is if it sounds good and plays well. unfortunately, people hear more with their eyes than they do with their ears.

• Members
$1000 - $400 = $600..

$600 = better pickups and electronics, better shielding, 1 fret, different serial number and headstock text, more attention to the fine details, better body wood, and the pride of owning a clasisc American made Stratocaster..

Any more questions?

And a hardcase!!! How could you forget the damn hardcase?:confused:

• Members

I never liked the finish on the necks of the Mex Standard Strats I tried...the were nice enough, but when I played a USA Strat they were immediately more smooth and comfortable to play...and they sounded a little sweeter to...thats wood as much as PUPs...but the Standard Mex uses ceramics to the USA's alnico. I think the Standard(mex) Strat is good value for money and a decent enough guitar...but for me its gotta be USA...hence I have 3 Strats all USA.

Archived