Damn, Now They've Taken "Hook Up" Out of the Language

Anderton

• Members

It's amazing how people interpret language. I just heard that McDonald's wants to get the entry for "McJob" removed from the current Oxford English Dictionary. They don't like the implication of a low paying job with little future. Imagine that!

What do you suppose they make of "McMansion"?

• Members

When I read the title of this thread, I immediately just thought you WERE referring to the "casual sexual contact between people". Never used it in the other sense.
I don't think its being taken out of the language. In fact if you said it in a bar on Saturday night, she would know just what you were referring to.

• Members
And "getting lucky" bothers me as well. How is luck involved? Do people get laid based on four-leaf clovers or horseshoes or something? And how do I know that I was the lucky one, versus the lady I was with?

A guy with a weasel face thinks the lady was the "lucky one".

I got news for ya, pal....:)

nat whilk ii

• Members

I actually had to change the lyrics to one of my songs because of this. I wrote a Christmas song several years ago that included "...this little chick Mary, hooked up with a cat named Joe..." Doesn't quite carry the intended meaning now.

• Members

When I read the title of this thread, I immediately just thought you WERE referring to HOOKING UP YOUR MIDI CABLE OR SOMETHING like it !

And yes I HAVE heard it used for meetings and sexual encounters as well , but being that this is a music tech type forum............................

Dan

Archived