Drummer - can't

walfordr

• Members

Our drummer has as much sense of rhythm as a strange attractor.

However, she provides a certain level of comfort to our bass/keyboard player who is rather good.

Is there any way in the world a band can get by with a drummer who can't keep time?

What to do?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is there any way in the world a band can get by with a drummer who can't keep time?

What to do?

No.

Either get the keyboard player to feed her a click track via headphones (which The Who had to do with Keith Moon once they started using synth loops), or else appeal to any intrinsic sense of musicality that he may have to let him know that his beloved's (non-)drumming is actively detrimental to the collective enterprise.

• Members

I've played with lots of {censored}ty drummers, and lots of talented drummers. And if I've learned anything it's that a band with a {censored}ty drummer sounds terrible regardless of how good everyone else is.

Your bass/keyboard player will get comfortable with a new, better drummer and wonder how he/she ever did it before. And your band will sound much better.

• Members

I've played with lots of {censored}ty drummers, and lots of talented drummers. And if I've learned anything it's that a band with a {censored}ty drummer sounds terrible regardless of how good everyone else is.

Your bass/keyboard player will get comfortable with a new, better drummer and wonder how he/she ever did it before. And your band will sound much better.

Thank you.....as a drummer of nearly 20 years I have to say I believe this to be totally true....not to toot my "drummer horn" but we really are the most important peice of the band:poke:

In all seriousness though...if you get along with her and don't want to dump her then just politely suggest she needs to work with a metronome to develope her time. Raise the issue in a constructive way. Better yet (if you think she'll take it badly) suggest the whole band play to a click for a while and sell it as "we all need to work on our time as a band" type thing.

And please all guitarists try to remember that time is EVERYONE's responsiblility not just the drummer. There is nothing worse than jamming with guys who can't handle you (as a drummer) playing around outside the beat without it throwing them off.

• Members
...And please all guitarists try to remember that time is EVERYONE's responsiblility not just the drummer. There is nothing worse than jamming with guys who can't handle you (as a drummer) playing around outside the beat without it throwing them off.

I don't mind at all drummers playing around with the beat as long as they can find their way back to the one. When they can't it's just embarrasing especially when everyone in the band is on the one except the drummer. :(

• Members

In all seriousness though...if you get along with her and don't want to dump her then just politely suggest she needs to work with a metronome to develope her time. Raise the issue in a constructive way. Better yet (if you think she'll take it badly) suggest the whole band play to a click for a while and sell it as "we all need to work on our time as a band" type thing...

• Members

Spent many happy years playing with a jazz-trained drummer who loved to play seriously OUT THERE fills. If you weren't on-the-one yourself and you were looking to the fill to cue you back in, you were {censored}-outta-luck. On the other hand, if we all DID know where the one was and everybody else came back in correctly, it sounded outrageously cool.

• Members

Spent many happy years playing with a jazz-trained drummer who loved to play seriously OUT THERE fills. If you weren't on-the-one yourself and you were looking to the fill to cue you back in, you were {censored}-outta-luck. On the other hand, if we all DID know where the one was and everybody else came back in correctly, it sounded outrageously cool.

Exactly, i figure, if I'M on-the-one and everybody else is on-the-one, the DRUMMER, of all people damn well better be too. If they're not, then they're totally missing their purpose and need to leave...or i will. They can slop along happily ever after without me.

• Members

Yeah those are my favorite kinds of drummers. Ones with complete comand over time....It's what I strive for on that instrument. There are many cool drummers in rock who I hear more and more that are filling right through the one and coming back on like the "and" of one or on the two. Sounds totally awsome when done well.

• Members
Yeah those are my favorite kinds of drummers. Ones with complete comand over time....It's what I strive for on that instrument. There are many cool drummers in rock who I hear more and more that are filling right through the one and coming back on like the "and" of one or on the two. Sounds totally awsome when done well.

yeppers, so much of music is in between the beats...if you dont "hear" the meter then the rest is screwed from the beginning, whether you're actually playing downbeats or not. I played percussion in school for a few years (many years ago) and had a band leader who was like a drill insructor, especially to the percussion, so i have little patience for {censored}ty drummers...something inside of me wants to run up to them, clap my hands, stomp one foot, count it out for them and ask "can you hear that"?!:lol:

• Members

Can someone bring this thread back to the one!

The question is not about how to have fun with a totally awesome drummer, but how to cope with a crap one!

haha, sorry bout that, the answer is remedial...teach her how to count, then throw some syncopation on her...the rest might take care of itself.

A metronome with a light on it might help too but it's like riding a bike, sometimes they have to crash a few times before they get their balance.

Anybody can be taught, if that's what you want to do.

• Members

Can someone bring this thread back to the one!

The question is not about how to have fun with a totally awesome drummer, but how to cope with a crap one!

There are only two things to do with a crap drummer: make him/her get better (if you have the time and the patience) or make him/her relinquish the kit to someone better (if you don't).

What's the band's overall standard of musicianship like? Is it one of those cases where everybody needs to grow and improve together, or is your present drummer actively holding back the band's collective development?

If the latter, then I think you'll have to consider a replacement. And if your bass/keyb player can't hear that the band's being hamstrung by a weak-link member, then you may be better off replacing him as well.

Archived