Cross Post, Jecklin Disk

daklander

• Members

sweet! nice attempt at the disc.

mine is nicer and i bet it sounds a lot better, but it took a little while to build. is that tool box liner over styro you got there?

mine is MDF center with extremely dense gray foam for the sides, and i use neumann mics on it.

the disc sounds great, i think yu will like it.

we have competitions here where we set up every pattern we can think of and record it all at once in front of an ensemble, sometimes we get 8 stereo patterns up at once. then we listen to the results in the studio, the disc ALWAYS wins except in front of a choir, then blumlein wins.

i wish i had sme pics of mine to post, maybe someday.

• Members

sweet! nice attempt at the disc.

mine is nicer and i bet it sounds a lot better, but it took a little while to build. is that tool box liner over styro you got there?

mine is MDF center with extremely dense gray foam for the sides, and i use neumann mics on it.

the disc sounds great, i think yu will like it.

we have competitions here where we set up every pattern we can think of and record it all at once in front of an ensemble, sometimes we get 8 stereo patterns up at once. then we listen to the results in the studio, the disc ALWAYS wins except in front of a choir, then blumlein wins.

i wish i had sme pics of mine to post, maybe someday.

The disk is 3/4" heavy particle board, painted white. I have other material for the sides but the shelving material, because of the material and open grate design is the one I chose to start with. The mics are the only omnis I have, a pair of old Electro-Voice units.

I still have to do a bit of edge clean up and I think I'll wrap the edge with the same material.

• Members

It looks great - but recording outside? I mean, sure you reduce reflections almost completely, but the background noise has got to be horrible!

Seriously, though - for mounting the mics: did you just find a threaded piece that you put through the disk? Or did you actually mount the stards on the disk itself?

• Members

Well, I want to hear some examples when you're done and up-and-running. I like the idea of getting the isolated separation while still maintaining the distance equality for a nice stereo field.

The mics are omni, right?

Yeah Jeff, those are old ElectroVoice 631 mics I've had for probably 20 years and the only omnis I have. They're HiZ mics and I've used them for recording gigs in the past with some success. I did get some information from EV about rewiring to XLR and that is supposed to also turn them into LoZ mics.

• Members

It looks great - but recording outside? I mean, sure you reduce reflections almost completely, but the background noise has got to be horrible!

Seriously, though - for mounting the mics: did you just find a threaded piece that you put through the disk? Or did you actually mount the stands on the disk itself?

Actually the background noise in that spot is pretty quiet. I was looking to record the sound of humming birds in stereo.

Notice no cords?

Wireless! That's the ticket.;)

I have some adapters that have the 5/8 27 threads for the mic holders and they are internally threaded to 7/16 coarse so they're screwed together, pinching the board.

• Members

Remember to check for mono compatabilty (if you care about such things).

Not sure what you mean here. The mics were purchased as a set so I would guess that they are probably as well matched as they could be when they were new 30 or 40 years ago. Have I checked? No.

Archived